HELP PLS! How Important is Typing Speed to Passing Written Portion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
placidstate

New

HELP PLS! How Important is Typing Speed to Passing Written Portion

Post by placidstate » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:31 pm

I am taking the CA bar this July and have done some essays from my bar prep course; however, I have never been able to finish it within the allocated time. I'm now curious whether it is because I just haven't memorized the laws yet (which slows me down in outlining and looking for the rules) or if its a deeper issue with regards to my slow typing speed (I average about 50 words per minute). So idk, not finishing is a serious worry of mine and looking for other's opinion. Should I also be worried about taking typing classes in addition to my already crazy bar schedule?

Moabit

New

Re: HELP PLS! How Important is Typing Speed to Passing Written Portion

Post by Moabit » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:58 pm

50 words per minute is enough. That's about how fast I type and I passed on my first CA exam. Let me put it this way, with 50 wpm typing will not be your bottleneck. If you can think 50 quality words per minute, you will be in a great shape. If, however, you can only think 30 quality words per minute, typing speed of 100 wpm will be of no use anyway.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:16 pm

placidstate wrote: Should I also be worried about taking typing classes in addition to my already crazy bar schedule?
No. Most people type between 25-40 WPM so you're ahead on that front. Your typing speed is not going to improve enough by July to matter. A systematic approach to writing your essays would do much more to save you time. Once you've mastered that, you'll be good.

You also need to know how much time that needs to be shaved off. Also, find out how long does it take to write an essay (with no time limits). That'll tell you whether you'll need to radically redo or just tweak a few things. Factor in organizational time (in the beginning) and leave a few mins towards the end for wrap-up time.

My $.02

Kalani111

New

Post by Kalani111 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 am

I had a terrible near catastrophic arm injury causing nerve damage. This caused me to type extremely slow on the 2017 AZ Bar. I could type less than half of what my classmates could. I overcompensated by outlining every UBE essay I could find. Worked out. There is a way around almost everything. Don’t let typing discourage you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”