Passed only the written portion of UBE Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anandamide

New

Passed only the written portion of UBE

Post by anandamide » Wed May 29, 2019 12:40 am

I took a UBE jx in February and only passed the written portion. Somehow my MBE score dropped 9 points.

I have the option to:

1. Retake the MBE in July and pray I get a 129 scaled to pass. That will result in a UBE score that can’t be transferred; or

2. Retake the entire exam AGAIN.

This doesn’t affect my job prospects. What would you do,

#iamsosickofthistest

hopefulCAatty

New

Re: Passed only the written portion of UBE

Post by hopefulCAatty » Wed May 29, 2019 12:54 am

anandamide wrote:I took a UBE jx in February and only passed the written portion. Somehow my MBE score dropped 9 points.

I have the option to:

1. Retake the MBE in July and pray I get a 129 scaled to pass. That will result in a UBE score that can’t be transferred; or

2. Retake the entire exam AGAIN.

This doesn’t affect my job prospects. What would you do,

#iamsosickofthistest

I've heard that the scale in February is a lot harder than the scale in July. It all depends on how you feel about the exam. Are you ABSOLUTELY confident that you can do well on the MBE? If you are not, I would retake the entire exam. The MBE is a crapshoot. Sometimes you feel like you are certain you get a right answer, but in fact, it's wrong. The MBE has also gotten harder over the past couple of years. I read somewhere that they used to have longer fact patterns, but it was easier to spot the correct answer choice. Now, however, the fact patterns are shorter and it's much harder to choose to correct answer choice because you always narrow down to 2 choices (which are SO similar that both could be correct), but you have to choose the "more correct" one. For me, memorizing all the BLL on the Critical Pass Flashcards helped a lot. Not only should you memorize, but really understand the different alternative ways they can ask you about each element of the law. This will often help you decide between the right and wrong answer.

The benefit of retaking the entire exam is that you can score really well on the essays, which will balance out a weaker MBE. Not as much pressure as only taking the MBE

sleeplessindc

New

Post by sleeplessindc » Wed May 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Are you retaking it in DC? DC does allow applicants to retake only the MBE or the essays that they failed, but passing that UBE portion separately then requires a minimum scaled score of 133 -- not whatever score you needed in the previous UBE to reach a total of 266. https://www.jdadvising.com/failed-the-w ... -bar-exam/

(I don't know about the rule in other jurisdictions that allow applicants to transfer only a portion of the UBE.)

LaShuanMichelle

New

Post by LaShuanMichelle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:31 pm

It depends... if you plan to practice in another UBE state then I would say retake the entire exam so you have a portable score.

But I think you should find out if you retake the entire exam & do not pass but score high enough on the MBE part of the exam can that be matched to your prior MEE score to give you a passing score but not portable score.

I had a similar situation, I took the bar 3 times in DC & almost passed the first time & the second time, scoring higher on the MBE portion of the exam each of the first 2 times. The 3rd time I only took the MEE portion & I passed it... but I have a non-portable score...

So now Im thinking about taking the Maryland bar exam... but even though my combined score os high enough, I have to retake the entire exam because my score is not portable.

sleeplessindc

New

Post by sleeplessindc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:40 pm

OP can call the Committee to confirm, but in DC specifically, the publicly available "Black Letter Law" is pretty clear: if a person failed an administration of the UBE but passed one portion, and wants to use that passing portion to count towards admission, s/he must later obtain a score of at least 133 on the other portion.

Also, the provision referring to applicants concurrently taking both portions of the whole UBE says that they must get a combined scaled score on that UBE in order to "pass the examination" -- no mixing and matching the parts you pass out of UBEs you've failed.

OP, since you're stronger on essays, I think there's a solid case for taking the whole exam again so that your MEE/MPT score can offset a non-passing MBE score. If you take the whole exam, you can still pass with an MBE score below 133. If you want your essays score to count towards admission, you must get a score of 133 or higher on the MBE.

https://www.dccourts.gov/sites/default/ ... %20Bar.pdf (emphasis added below)
(10) Determining Pass/Fail Status.
(A) An applicant taking the written and MBE components concurrently must attain a combined UBE scaled score of 266 or greater to pass the examination.
(B) If an MBE component score from a prior administration is accepted by the Committee under (c)(8)(B) above, the applicant must attain a scaled score of 133 or higher on the written component in the current administration to pass the examination. If a written component score from a prior administration is accepted by the Committee under (c)(8)(C) above, the applicant must attain a scaled score of 133 or higher on the MBE component in the current administration to pass the examination.
(C) Before notice and publication of the examination results, the Committee shall review the written component answers of all applicants who have attained a written component scaled score or a combined UBE scaled score within a specified number of points below the passing score, as determined by the Committee.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:08 pm

There's definitely a pretty big burden in taking the writing portion since you'll then be required to re-study all of those MEE subjects that are not tested on the MBE. But even with that burden that still might be the better strategy if your writing is such that it is likely to pull up a lower MBE score so that the average is a passing score. You've got to decide whether the likelihood of writing essays such that those scores pull up the MBE score is great enough to warrant all the extra studying involved. If so, you should do it! Don't not take the essays just because it'll be extra work.

Sean Silverman (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

khaledsaad87

New

Post by khaledsaad87 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Does anyone know if I can retake ONLY the MEE/MPT portion of the exam without the MBE in NY? I have scored 134 on the MBE, and failed by 5 points off on the written part. If that is possible, I could focus more on just essays. I heard that they allow that in DC, but don't know about NY. Please let me know if you have any information in this regard. Thanks in advance!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”