Self studying for CA Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
hopefulCAatty

New

Self studying for CA Bar

Post by hopefulCAatty » Fri May 24, 2019 12:23 am

I have passed the Bar in a UBE jurisdiction already, and I'm planning to take the CA Bar...I have good MBE study materials. What are the best study materials for CA Bar essay topics? I'm hoping for something like a full comprehensive outline of all the CA topics. Thanks in advance!

lexingtonhr

New

Re: Self studying for CA Bar

Post by lexingtonhr » Fri May 24, 2019 5:13 pm

hopefulCAatty wrote:I have passed the Bar in a UBE jurisdiction already, and I'm planning to take the CA Bar...I have good MBE study materials. What are the best study materials for CA Bar essay topics? I'm hoping for something like a full comprehensive outline of all the CA topics. Thanks in advance!
Mary Basicks Essay writing book is amazing. I recommend it. What mbe resources did you use if you don’t mind me asking?

ReasonablePersonSSC

New

Post by ReasonablePersonSSC » Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 pm

lexingtonhr wrote:
hopefulCAatty wrote:I have passed the Bar in a UBE jurisdiction already, and I'm planning to take the CA Bar...I have good MBE study materials. What are the best study materials for CA Bar essay topics? I'm hoping for something like a full comprehensive outline of all the CA topics. Thanks in advance!
Mary Basicks Essay writing book is amazing. I recommend it. What mbe resources did you use if you don’t mind me asking?
Double ditto on Mary Basick’s book—it got me through law school essays and the July 18 bar exam. Hand write each essay to increase your retrieval speed.
Strategies and Tactics by Emanuel—do not attempt the bar without it. Do all the questions, more than once.
Download past MPTs from the NCBE, read, at least, the Point Sheets for each—they are gold! Do one PT a week under timed conditions.
I practiced for the bar using these resources and was “one and done.” The key is not to study for the bar, but to practice, practice, practice for the bar.

sala5150

New

Post by sala5150 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:02 pm

I'm like you and passed in another jurisdiction in July. I used the Barbri attorney's course and that worked for me. They give you enough material to learn the CA specific topics and can help refresh your MBE knowledge if you're taking the two day exam.

Doing the Essays they give you was enough - most of the exam isnt CA specific so its a lot of review.

barpartnerca

New

Post by barpartnerca » Sat May 25, 2019 12:08 am

Hi, if anyone is interested in studying for California bar exam this summer in the Bay Area, let's get connected https://www.meetup.com/California-Bar-s ... r-July-19/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopefulCAatty

New

Post by hopefulCAatty » Sun May 26, 2019 11:21 pm

lexingtonhr wrote:
Thanks so much! For the MBE, I used Emanuel Strategies and Tactics, PMBR course (both the red and blue book), NCBE released questions (purchased form their site) and Critical Pass Flashcards. These flashcards are a MUST because they will teach you all the BLL you need to know. They are also great for memorization!

barpartnerca

New

Post by barpartnerca » Tue May 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Honestly the best way to practice the essays is to write them out. I also found the essay bank from https://www.baressays.com/ (it was around $150 for 3 months) helpful. You get to see several essays written from different approaches getting passing scores.

hopefulCAatty

New

Post by hopefulCAatty » Wed May 29, 2019 12:48 am

barpartnerca wrote:
Honestly the best way to practice the essays is to write them out. I also found the essay bank from https://www.baressays.com/ (it was around $150 for 3 months) helpful. You get to see several essays written from different approaches getting passing scores.

Thanks! Do you know of an outline where it has all the BLL for CA topics only?

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:35 pm

nrand001 wrote:hey guys, if you are self studying for the bar, i would recommend using cal bar bible's study materials. They are awesome!
Mods - please address this. I am just a sad recent grad trying to get a few minute's respite from bar prep and I keep seeing this garbage on multiple threads that appeal to me.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:52 pm

hopefulCAatty wrote:
barpartnerca wrote:

Thanks! Do you know of an outline where it has all the BLL for CA topics only?

outlines are at the bottom of the page:

https://law.stanford.edu/office-of-stud ... formation/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”