Themis, 2018, MBE, Contracts, Expectation Damages question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jski

New

Themis, 2018, MBE, Contracts, Expectation Damages question

Post by jski » Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi, new to the forum.
I'm reviewing my Themis 2018 materials and think there was an error in a video lecture. I want to make sure I have the correct information.
Regarding MBEs, Contract and Sales, page 41, Chapter 16: Anticipatory Repudiation; Remedies: Basic Concepts, Question 167:
Seller breached. Buyer contracts with Seller for product and paid $100 up front. Seller delivers half full product. Buyer keeps product. Half full product is $60 at another seller. What are buyer's expectation damages?
The lecture said $60, but discussed different numbers in the formula so it is throwing me off.
Thanks in advance.

Moabit

New

Re: Themis, 2018, MBE, Contracts, Expectation Damages question

Post by Moabit » Thu May 23, 2019 9:59 pm

$60 looks correct. Expectation damages are intended to put the injured party in as good a position as if the breaching party fully performed. The contract was to obtain the full product for $100. Now the non-breaching party's expenses are $160 ($100 already paid to the breaching party plus $60 to buy the missing half elsewhere). To make the non-breaching party whole, the breaching party has to pay $60. This is the amount of expectation damages.

jski

New

Re: Themis, 2018, MBE, Contracts, Expectation Damages question

Post by jski » Fri May 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Moabit wrote:$60 looks correct. Expectation damages are intended to put the injured party in as good a position as if the breaching party fully performed. The contract was to obtain the full product for $100. Now the non-breaching party's expenses are $160 ($100 already paid to the breaching party plus $60 to buy the missing half elsewhere). To make the non-breaching party whole, the breaching party has to pay $60. This is the amount of expectation damages.
Thank you very much. I wasn't finding any other scenarios involving pre-payment, which was making me think of refunds and that the amount would only be $40. You explained this perfectly for me. Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”