CA Swearing-In: How to get sworn in by a judge Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
xonimi

New

CA Swearing-In: How to get sworn in by a judge

Post by xonimi » Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 pm

I just passed the February exam and am planning on taking the oath in the next week or so. I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend a ceremony and will likely need to get sworn in by a judge. I'd like to know how to go about it and what I need to have with me (other than the oath card). The state bar site doesn't really have much information other than a list of people qualified to administer the oath.

Underoath

Bronze

Re: CA Swearing-In: How to get sworn in by a judge

Post by Underoath » Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 pm

people just read and don't contribute...I would like to know this as well. I am pending my moral character, but passed the bar. I was told I would have a response by July for moral character.

letmecount

New

Post by letmecount » Tue May 21, 2019 12:01 pm

You have to find a judge willing to swear you in. Usually it's because they externed for a judge. you can possibly e-mail local judges and see if they'll be willing to swear you in. Otherwise go to a notary public and get sworn in. It won't be picture pretty, but it gets the job done.

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm

letmecount wrote:You have to find a judge willing to swear you in. Usually it's because they externed for a judge. you can possibly e-mail local judges and see if they'll be willing to swear you in. Otherwise go to a notary public and get sworn in. It won't be picture pretty, but it gets the job done.
Do we need an attorney sponsor present? I know some state require one but I can't find any information regarding CA requirements.

sala5150

New

Post by sala5150 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:45 pm

xonimi wrote:
letmecount wrote:You have to find a judge willing to swear you in. Usually it's because they externed for a judge. you can possibly e-mail local judges and see if they'll be willing to swear you in. Otherwise go to a notary public and get sworn in. It won't be picture pretty, but it gets the job done.
Do we need an attorney sponsor present? I know some state require one but I can't find any information regarding CA requirements.
You do not. All you need is the bar card that the CA Bar will mail to you after you've been placed on the motion. The Judge would need to sign the back and then you send it back to the bar for it to be processed. Here is the link to more info http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... _FINAL.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”