Themis July 2019 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cavalier1138

Re: Themis July 2019

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:30 pm

kasap wrote:I really messed up on the Evidence PQs. Anyone has any advice on Evidence?
My best advice is to always figure out if the case is civil or criminal, then remember the hierarchy of rules. For example, you know that if something isn't hearsay, you can immediately eliminate all answers that call it an "exception." Similarly, if something isn't relevant, that's always going to be the best answer, because that's the first step in evaluating admissibility. From the questions I've done so far, that seems to be the main trick the questions use to mislead you into giving the second-best answer.

And the only thing I can figure out for the best evidence rule is that it's never applicable in Themis-World, which one of the answer explanations explained was due to it being super-obvious when it does apply on the MBE.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:12 pm

kasap wrote:I really messed up on the Evidence PQs. Anyone has any advice on Evidence?
I just messed up too. Only got 38% for my 4th set of PQ, progressively getting worse. I'm finding I'm often second guessing myself. I feel like there's a line between taking your time and then taking too much time and overthinking things. That's what I think I'm not getting right at the moment - because I mostly know the law since I just took evidence in the spring and did well in my final. But if anyone else has any tips, I could use them too!

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:06 pm

I hit 50% today! Taking in CA and started 2 weeks early. Wondering other peeps progress. 905 questions completed at 66% + another 321 on adaptibar at 72% - con law and crim brought me down from the 70% range on themis tho - ill get my crim up now that i got it they testing common law, but con law going to take a deep dive.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 pm

ipsares wrote:I hit 50% today! Taking in CA and started 2 weeks early. Wondering other peeps progress. 905 questions completed at 66% + another 321 on adaptibar at 72% - con law and crim brought me down from the 70% range on themis tho - ill get my crim up now that i got it they testing common law, but con law going to take a deep dive.
Do you think adaptibar is helping you? I’m considering purchasing it since my results are quite low at this point. I just don’t want to overwhelm myself with too much extra information.

2k16L1

New

Post by 2k16L1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm

ipsares wrote:I hit 50% today! Taking in CA and started 2 weeks early. Wondering other peeps progress. 905 questions completed at 66% + another 321 on adaptibar at 72% - con law and crim brought me down from the 70% range on themis tho - ill get my crim up now that i got it they testing common law, but con law going to take a deep dive.
Nice! I'm at 46.1%. 66% average over 966 questions. Con law is killing me right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:04 pm

At 44% but started on the suggested date. Questions wise I’m at 68% after 850ish, without real property I think I’d be north of 70. Hard to believe still haven’t cracked 50% completion with how long it feels that it’s been, and how many lectures I’ve sat through...

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 pm

AussieAustin wrote:
Do you think adaptibar is helping you? I’m considering purchasing it since my results are quite low at this point. I just don’t want to overwhelm myself with too much extra information.
I think it is helping me and I would recommend it. I am getting exposed to more questions/practice i wouldn't have otherwise done. I think you could squeeze the same results out of the themis quiz builder but i find adaptibar super convenient. that ease of entry to just open the app and start rolling through questions within 10 seconds was worth the price to me. i am happy i picked it up. I think it's really important to know how they test the law, even more than the law itself. I can only understand that by doing questions and reading fact patterns.

i also don't think getting questions wrong is a bad thing as long as you are learning from them. this is just practice, as long as we are ready for the big game in july, those 200 questions are going to be all that matter in the end. in one sense I like to get questions wrong because then i will learn something new. that's where the money is in terms of studying and passing in the end. If i just blow through easy questions its almost a waste of time because i already knew the answer.

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:19 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:
At 44% but started on the suggested date. Questions wise I’m at 68% after 850ish, without real property I think I’d be north of 70. Hard to believe still haven’t cracked 50% completion with how long it feels that it’s been, and how many lectures I’ve sat through...
At 50% overall it says I have about 72% of the lectures and 82% of the outlines completed. I am happy the end of new material is near. I think I have about 2 weeks left of substantive material before its mostly review, practice essays and questions that are assigned.

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 pm

2k16L1 wrote:
Nice! I'm at 46.1%. 66% average over 966 questions. Con law is killing me right now.
I was so looking forward to con law because i thought it was going to be super fun. I seriously like evidence 10x more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:52 pm

ipsares wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:
I think it is helping me and I would recommend it. I am getting exposed to more questions/practice i wouldn't have otherwise done. I think you could squeeze the same results out of the themis quiz builder but i find adaptibar super convenient. that ease of entry to just open the app and start rolling through questions within 10 seconds was worth the price to me. i am happy i picked it up. I think it's really important to know how they test the law, even more than the law itself. I can only understand that by doing questions and reading fact patterns.

i also don't think getting questions wrong is a bad thing as long as you are learning from them. this is just practice, as long as we are ready for the big game in july, those 200 questions are going to be all that matter in the end. in one sense I like to get questions wrong because then i will learn something new. that's where the money is in terms of studying and passing in the end. If i just blow through easy questions its almost a waste of time because i already knew the answer.
Thanks for the reply. I think I might just purchase it. I did the test run on the website and it looks pretty user friendly. I like the quiz builder with Themis, but don't like that you can't break down the topics on an ipad.

That's a great way to think about getting wrong answers. I know I can get pretty bummed when I get answers wrong.

ms57

New

Post by ms57 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Does the quiz builder work for anyone on the ipad? I can get it to work just fine on my laptop, but can't get it to work on the ipad. Thanks!

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:25 pm

ms57 wrote:Does the quiz builder work for anyone on the ipad? I can get it to work just fine on my laptop, but can't get it to work on the ipad. Thanks!
It works if I use a web browser. Haven’t tried in the app. It just doesn’t allow me to choose a sub topic. I messaged Themis today about it and they said the app wasn’t intended to be used for the quiz builder, but they’d look into it.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Anyone notice that the MBE practice exam questions are not included in the overall statistics for MBE PQs? The primers are, but not the practice exams themselves.

Given how ridiculously hard the Practice Exam questions are, my guess is that they do this on purpose, and use the most difficult MBE questions (which you can spot because they're the ones that have the correct answer being selected by like, 5% of test takers).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CR2019

New

Post by CR2019 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:36 am

How much time are people dedicating to the MPT? It feels so straight forward that dedicating the full 90 mins is not as productive as spending more time on the MBE stuff.

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:25 pm

CR2019 wrote:How much time are people dedicating to the MPT? It feels so straight forward that dedicating the full 90 mins is not as productive as spending more time on the MBE stuff.
I agree, I’m just trying to outline one per week. I don’t see a point in writing them out unless that was something you struggled with in LS.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:
CR2019 wrote:How much time are people dedicating to the MPT? It feels so straight forward that dedicating the full 90 mins is not as productive as spending more time on the MBE stuff.
I agree, I’m just trying to outline one per week. I don’t see a point in writing them out unless that was something you struggled with in LS.
I'm trying to do the full thing, especially if it's a document type I've never had to write before. Plus, I actually enjoy the MPT, so I treat it like a break from the memorization schtick.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm

I think it's worth doing the full MPT. The main issue is timing: there's a LOT to cover in 90 minutes and usually a lot of writing to do. I think doing the whole thing (at least on some of them) is worthwhile in that you get a feel for how long things take, and at least for me, how much thinking you have to do about the overall case.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fan1430

New

Post by fan1430 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:22 am

I do it weekly to get good at the timing and just be comfortable writing each option that could be presented. It's 20 percent of the bar at least for the UBE jurisdictions, so would hate to miss some easy points by not finishing up with enough time. 90 mins plus 30 mins review once a week is pretty minimal time for something that's worth 20 percent of the exam. Seems like an easy spot to gain more points.

Macjack

New

Post by Macjack » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:58 pm

fan1430 wrote:
I do it weekly to get good at the timing and just be comfortable writing each option that could be presented. It's 20 percent of the bar at least for the UBE jurisdictions, so would hate to miss some easy points by not finishing up with enough time. 90 mins plus 30 mins review once a week is pretty minimal time for something that's worth 20 percent of the exam. Seems like an easy spot to gain more points.

Does any one have good tips for getting it out in under 90 minutes? I'm consistently struggling with actually writing it fast enough.

barryzee

New

Post by barryzee » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Is it me or does Tucker frequently get things wrong with respect to the questions and answers she's discussing? It's like she's reading them for the first time or something.

swishbish33

New

Post by swishbish33 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 am

Have fallen several weeks behind on Themis do to death in the family. Pretty much only done Contracts portion. Any suggestions on how to pivot to a 5 week study schedule (using Themis or other materials) that could bring me within striking range of passing? Thank you so much!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2k16L1

New

Post by 2k16L1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:49 am

swishbish33 wrote:Have fallen several weeks behind on Themis do to death in the family. Pretty much only done Contracts portion. Any suggestions on how to pivot to a 5 week study schedule (using Themis or other materials) that could bring me within striking range of passing? Thank you so much!
I would find shorter 15-20 pg outlines for MBE, memorize them for a week, and start hitting mixed subject sets.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:55 am

barryzee wrote:Is it me or does Tucker frequently get things wrong with respect to the questions and answers she's discussing? It's like she's reading them for the first time or something.
I stopped watching her videos after I realized that she's not adding anything to the answer explanations they already provide.

Jcanqueen12

New

Post by Jcanqueen12 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:31 pm

I just want to say Civ Pro sucks and these 97 pages don't make it any better. It's like reading big slabs of rules, that just seems isolated...and my poor brain trying to make sense of it. Sigh...Dear Lord, help it make sense. :(

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Jcanqueen12 wrote:I just want to say Civ Pro sucks and these 97 pages don't make it any better. It's like reading big slabs of rules, that just seems isolated...and my poor brain trying to make sense of it. Sigh...Dear Lord, help it make sense. :(
If it helps (no guarantees), imagine a fake case and put it through each stage of the process. The outline is actually fairly linear; it takes you straight from pre-filing questions through post-trial procedure. So every rule could come into play to a single civil suit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”