Themis July 2019 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FutureLawyer2

New

Re: Themis July 2019

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:19 am

Hi Guys,

The real bar exam questions are not similar to the ones created by the bar exam companies. How do I know this? Because I took and passed the recent bar exam in February.

My advice for people that are serious about passing:

1.) Stick to your themis study plan - take it seriously as if it is a job - so set yourself daily hour schedule as if it is a must;
2.) If you are not a good multiple choice test taker or need an extra boost, buy critical pass MBE flashcards. I recommend studying each pile of cards at least 8-10 times before the actual bar exam. WHY? since the bar exam is a memory exam and those that memorize the best do the best. I still remember all the elements by heart from criminal law as I imprinted them into my memory - the flashcards make accessing the materials faster and easier.

[Advertisement and external link redacted]
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact external link.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:03 pm

Genuinely curious: is there some sort of commission system set up for Critical Pass users?

I have no idea whether they're helpful, but the hard sells on this site aren't exactly convincing...

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Tue May 28, 2019 12:41 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Genuinely curious: is there some sort of commission system set up for Critical Pass users?

I have no idea whether they're helpful, but the hard sells on this site aren't exactly convincing...
Kind of. You do get (I think) a $10 rebate for every person you refer. I have them but am not overly concerned about getting money back for them. I’ve just being using the contracts one all morning to help memorize. I think they’re worth it, but each to their own.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:14 am

Maybe it's just me, but I find Prof. Kramer (Property) to be hilarious at 1.5X playback.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:50 am

RioGrandeLaw wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I find Prof. Kramer (Property) to be hilarious at 1.5X playback.
Same. I've listened to most in 1.5 x speed. He's just funny in general I think. The end of the final lecture is quite amusing. I've enjoyed the fact that he's tried to keep it interesting - because property is sooooo boring. I'm really hoping other professors try to keep it interesting. I almost fell asleep listening to consumer rights because he was so bland!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anon2468

New

Post by Anon2468 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Having such a hard time with real property. The outline is so dense and the lectures are useless. Does anyone have alternative recommendations?

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Anon2468 wrote:Having such a hard time with real property. The outline is so dense and the lectures are useless. Does anyone have alternative recommendations?
I’ve been having a similar problem. Today i went through the condensed outline in the back of the book and made my own outline from that. I also have flash cards so I went through each of those when making my outline. I then had to break it down to each topic and go through each one at a time. I didn’t know what was what so that has helped.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Anon2468 wrote:Having such a hard time with real property. The outline is so dense and the lectures are useless. Does anyone have alternative recommendations?
If you didn't take property in school, this is going to require a lot more effort. Future interests are probably the hardest thing to pin down, so if that's your sticking point, I would suggest getting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0 ... UTF8&psc=1
and working through the problems.

Property law is unintuitive as hell, and there's just no easy shortcuts. Youtube videos might also help, this one on the RAP is useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLTDCqR2mts

I think highly of the Law School Legends audio series (theres another series of law school lectures on audio thats also good, just can't think of the name right now.

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Property is truly awful. How are you scoring on the MBE questions and written practice exams? I completely messed up one of the essays today. I think I need to do these open book for now

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:41 pm

It’s been a few weeks so I’m wanting to know how people are doing on MBE questions. My average is about 61% in Contracts and Real Property. Anyone care to share their percentages?

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:52 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:It’s been a few weeks so I’m wanting to know how people are doing on MBE questions. My average is about 61% in Contracts and Real Property. Anyone care to share their percentages?
I'm at 65% contracts (all 5 sets done), 61% property (3 sets done)

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:18 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:It’s been a few weeks so I’m wanting to know how people are doing on MBE questions. My average is about 61% in Contracts and Real Property. Anyone care to share their percentages?
I’ve done two contracts and got 70% and 60 (I think). Did a property one today and only got 32%. I seriously have no clue with these property questions. I’m hoping that one day it will just click, like when I first studied the subject. Unfortunately I’ve not studied US property law, which isn’t helping. It’s quite different to Australian property law.

fan1430

New

Post by fan1430 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:13 am

I started a bit early. Doing Civ Pro now (26.5 % done according to Themis). Yesterday I finished my 5th PQ set of Torts. So I have now done all 5 sets of PQs for Contracts, Property, and Torts.

These are my percentages.
Contracts: 73%
Property: 64%
Torts: 70%

For the questions I get wrong, I write down on paper the rule from the explanation. I also review the questions I missed the next day and try to answer them without looking at the answers. If I get the same question wrong again then I read about it in the outline. If I am really doing bad in a particular area of a subject, I review that in the outline after as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:30 am

AussieAustin wrote:Unfortunately I’ve not studied US property law, which isn’t helping. It’s quite different to Australian property law.
Austin,
I strongly urge you to look at the advice I posted above. I did well in Property in school, and I attribute it to working through the workbook, and also to the audio lectures, which you can buy online, borrow from a library (best option), or find some dodgy files floating around the internet. "Sum and Substance" was the other series I had forgotten the name to. The lectures are about 8 hours and are great while driving. Youtube also has some decent stuff. This stuff just takes a while to sink into the brain, even though it's actually not that complicated (well, the RAP is, but nevermind that) and so some extra study time on it will help. I think that Themis is assuming most people took Property I in law school, since it's a bar course and a doctrinal course at most law schools. You're not going to easily grasp the concepts unless you put in some extra study, esp. on the estates and future interest stuff.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:21 am

RioGrandeLaw wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:Unfortunately I’ve not studied US property law, which isn’t helping. It’s quite different to Australian property law.
Austin,
I strongly urge you to look at the advice I posted above. I did well in Property in school, and I attribute it to working through the workbook, and also to the audio lectures, which you can buy online, borrow from a library (best option), or find some dodgy files floating around the internet. "Sum and Substance" was the other series I had forgotten the name to. The lectures are about 8 hours and are great while driving. Youtube also has some decent stuff. This stuff just takes a while to sink into the brain, even though it's actually not that complicated (well, the RAP is, but nevermind that) and so some extra study time on it will help. I think that Themis is assuming most people took Property I in law school, since it's a bar course and a doctrinal course at most law schools. You're not going to easily grasp the concepts unless you put in some extra study, esp. on the estates and future interest stuff.
Thanks for the advice. The future interests and estates stuff I’m fine with because we did that in Trusts so it’s very similar. I understand The theory of a lot of the other stuff, but when I look at the questions, the wording gets me. It’s early days so I’m going to take my time with the questions I’ve already done and see if I can understand them. It’s not going to defeat me! Thankfully I’m married to a lawyer so that helps too.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am

fan1430 wrote:
I started a bit early. Doing Civ Pro now (26.5 % done according to Themis). Yesterday I finished my 5th PQ set of Torts. So I have now done all 5 sets of PQs for Contracts, Property, and Torts.

These are my percentages.
Contracts: 73%
Property: 64%
Torts: 70%

For the questions I get wrong, I write down on paper the rule from the explanation. I also review the questions I missed the next day and try to answer them without looking at the answers. If I get the same question wrong again then I read about it in the outline. If I am really doing bad in a particular area of a subject, I review that in the outline after as well.
This sounds like a great way of reviewing everything. I’m going to try it.

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:38 pm

justanormalperson wrote:
Congratulations for passing! Are the MBE questions on Themis pretty similar with the real Bar Exam? Do you have any advise on how to do well on the MBE? :)
Yeah, I thought they were pretty similar. No big surprises on the day that I can remember. Turned an overall 75% Themis average into 168 on the MBE so I guess they were!

I didn't supplement with Adaptibar etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Lancair wrote:
justanormalperson wrote:
Congratulations for passing! Are the MBE questions on Themis pretty similar with the real Bar Exam? Do you have any advise on how to do well on the MBE? :)
Yeah, I thought they were pretty similar. No big surprises on the day that I can remember. Turned an overall 75% Themis average into 168 on the MBE so I guess they were!

I didn't supplement with Adaptibar etc.
I've had at least one question where Themis noted that they had "changed the phrasing of the question to reflect current NCBE standards" with some disclaimer about NCBE not endorsing the rephrasing. So that seems like a pretty clear indication that at least a portion of the practice MBE questions are real bar exam questions.

Anon2468

New

Post by Anon2468 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:
Property is truly awful. How are you scoring on the MBE questions and written practice exams? I completely messed up one of the essays today. I think I need to do these open book for now
I'm getting killed on the practice MBE questions (20-30% right). I'm around 60% right on all the other subjects...

TLSDookie

New

Post by TLSDookie » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Admittedly, I didn't read and note take the in depth outline as closely as I could've. But the Themis MBE questions tested an enormous range of mortgage issue that the video/outline flat out didn't cover. Completely disregarding time, and using all the printed materials delivered at the outset of the course open book, I got 6 of the first 7 real property PQs wrong today, all 7 of which pertained to mortgages, while the video lecture covered mortgages in only a single chapter. I wish the video outline contained all the information required to answer the MBE questions which it flat out does not (e.g. if a person takes a mortgage, enters a tenancy by entirety (marriage) and gets divorced, what share does each person owe was flat out not remotely mentioned in the video lectures). I would rather a 12 hour curriculum that covered every possible rule than an 8 hour curriculum that omits specific tested-on examples. I think our low MBE PQ scores are understandable given we don't have the base of exceptions to rules required to answer the questions, I just wish more of the learning was through lectures than wrong answer choices and reading explanations.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:14 am

TLSDookie wrote:Admittedly, I didn't read and note take the in depth outline as closely as I could've. But the Themis MBE questions tested an enormous range of mortgage issue that the video/outline flat out didn't cover. Completely disregarding time, and using all the printed materials delivered at the outset of the course open book, I got 6 of the first 7 real property PQs wrong today, all 7 of which pertained to mortgages, while the video lecture covered mortgages in only a single chapter. I wish the video outline contained all the information required to answer the MBE questions which it flat out does not (e.g. if a person takes a mortgage, enters a tenancy by entirety (marriage) and gets divorced, what share does each person owe was flat out not remotely mentioned in the video lectures). I would rather a 12 hour curriculum that covered every possible rule than an 8 hour curriculum that omits specific tested-on examples. I think our low MBE PQ scores are understandable given we don't have the base of exceptions to rules required to answer the questions, I just wish more of the learning was through lectures than wrong answer choices and reading explanations.
I’ve noticed this too. There seemed to be a lot of questions on mortgages and I really struggled with them. Sometimes I couldnt even pinpoint what the rule was. I had quite a few instances where I said to myself that I never remember hearing about that. The lectures should match the practice questions somewhat. I had The same thing with Texas Real Property. My first practice essay I had no Idea how to answer the question and then realized there was a bunch of stuff from the outline I needed to use - but it wasn’t covered in the lecture.

My strategy now is to analyze each practice question and figure out what rule is applied. It’s really slow going, but I dont know how else to do it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am

Anyone get their graded contracts essay back? I got a 65 which was passing but i def ran out of time and did not complete. I guess average student score was 59.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm

ipsares wrote:Anyone get their graded contracts essay back? I got a 65 which was passing but i def ran out of time and did not complete. I guess average student score was 59.
Damn, you scored a proactive grader...

I'd be very happy with that result. You have two months to get better at timing. So if you're already performing at a passing level, you're in great shape.

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:59 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ipsares wrote:Anyone get their graded contracts essay back? I got a 65 which was passing but i def ran out of time and did not complete. I guess average student score was 59.
Damn, you scored a proactive grader...

I'd be very happy with that result. You have two months to get better at timing. So if you're already performing at a passing level, you're in great shape.
yes i got it back like 5 hrs after i submitted. i have a huge fear i will have nothing to write about when i open up a practice essay so i was drilling Ks for two days before so everything was fresh. I just have to drill and balance the other 13 subjects and not forget anything and i should be good to go lol

justanormalperson

New

Post by justanormalperson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 am

Wow, I feel like I am so far behind. After 5 sets of MBE PQs for Contract, I got about 60%. First graded essay I got a 3 raw score. Property MBE just finished the 3rd set and only got a 50%. My MPT is not really getting anywhere yet. So lost......

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”