Themis or BarMax? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Happy88

New

Themis or BarMax?

Post by Happy88 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:26 am

Hey everyone,

So I just failed the bar exam (second time) and I’ve used barbri for both times. I’m thinking to maybe change my bar exam preparation courses.

Can you share your experiences with Themis or BarMax? BarMax seems like a solid choice since it’s for “life” in which I can take as long as I want studying and not be constrained with time.

What do you guys think?

akuaroma

New

Re: Themis or BarMax?

Post by akuaroma » Sat May 18, 2019 1:49 pm

Happy88 wrote:Hey everyone,

So I just failed the bar exam (second time) and I’ve used barbri for both times. I’m thinking to maybe change my bar exam preparation courses.

Can you share your experiences with Themis or BarMax? BarMax seems like a solid choice since it’s for “life” in which I can take as long as I want studying and not be constrained with time.

What do you guys think?
I used Themis and passed the NY Bar in February on my first try scoring 312 overall and 160.7 on the MBE. I am a foreign lawyer with no formal US legal education. Everything seemed alien to me when I started the course and panicked and stressed out every day during the prep months but I pushed through and completed 100% of the course. Themis gave a good structure to my studies and took away the guesswork of what to study and what to revise or practise. I could monitor my progress and could tell my weak areas especially for the mbe subjects.. (which were always real property and con law). They also assigned a dedicated essay grader who gave very constructive feedback which I followed and improved my essay writing over time. The whole process was grueling and cried a lot during those months especially the weeks before the exam, nevertheless I couldn’t have asked more of Themis. By the time I was taking simulated tests, I knew I was fully equipped to pass the exam even though I never stopped panicking.. not until the bar results were released.
I know studying for this bar exam is hard and I can imagine what it must feel like taking it more than once but YOU CAN DO THIS!! There was a Themis discussion group on here that helped me immensely when I felt lost so you can check that out too. I wish you all the best and if you choose to use Themis, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and it is the final time you take this crazy exam.

Law4lyf

New

Post by Law4lyf » Mon May 27, 2019 10:13 am

I used Themis + Adaptibar + Critical pass flashcards. Passed on my first attempt doing about 70% of tThemis. Key is to recognize what is pulling down your scores. Mine was the MBE so I went the extra mile to get Adaptibar and Critical Pass. Adaptibar uses real MBE questions while Themis and Barbri make up a bunch of their own (plus licensing a few). I used critical pass to run through the topics I was weak at to make sure that I had a basic understanding of the law (that's all you need!). The flashcards were great and was key to me passing the bar.

[Advertisement and external link redacted]
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact advertisements and external links.

Virginia_Bar_Prep

New

Post by Virginia_Bar_Prep » Mon May 27, 2019 11:03 am

Happy88 wrote:Hey everyone,

What do you guys think?
To make sure you receive appropriate feedback, I think it would be helpful to know what you liked or disliked about BarBri.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 am

I think that both program are very good and both will put you into a solid position to pass the exam depending upon what you put into them. But, importantly, as others have said here, you''ll want to supplement with official NCBE questions if the program you choose makes up their own MBE questions. Nobody should go into the MBE without working through those licensed questions.

Sean Silverman (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Pmason#1

New

Post by Pmason#1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Anything but BarMax. BarMax is the worst. They told me they had the OPE and Study Aid questions so I purchased them, but they didn't tell me those questions do not come with explanations. The best way to learn is from the explanations. They do provide a forum (like this one) to go over and discuss the answers but you can see the same people asking BarMax to please provide an answer. Sometimes it's the exact same person to responding to their question a year later for an explanation. Which shows that not only were they not provided an explanation but the same person obviously failed the bar exam, if they are still asking for the same explanation a year later. They do not give a refund either. If you are looking for MBE questions use AdaptiBar. Not only will they give a refund if you aren't happy, they guarantee your money back if you don't pass Bar Exam. Also, AdaptiBar is only available per subscription between exams, but barMax is available for life. I think its because you will pass with AdaptiBar the first time and if you choose BarMax will end up taking the bar exam for life. Stay clear of BarMax.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”