The Best Law Review Course for an older retaker? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fpkjd

New

The Best Law Review Course for an older retaker?

Post by fpkjd » Thu May 02, 2019 12:02 pm

I am looking at retaking the Pennsylvania Bar in February 2020. I have been out of law school a number of years, and my performance on a few tries for the PA Bar led me to the conclusion I need a very good bar review course; I'll be buying it in October of this year as soon as I register to sit February in PA. I'm not retaking in July since I'm learning a new job at the same time and I also want to have the funds available for a good course. My MBE and essay scores have been on an upward curve, but I need to get just a bit better to pass.

I was considering buying Themis in conjunction with another try on Actibar for the MBE. Would Themis be a good investment, in everyone's opinion? I have books from a previous Themis course but never purchased the full course.

Thanks,

--fpkjd

Hooyah

New

Re: The Best Law Review Course for an older retaker?

Post by Hooyah » Fri May 03, 2019 12:26 pm

Hey, I used BarBri, and the overwhelming majority of my law school graduating class passed the Florida Bar and MBE with that and Adaptibar.

I used Adaptibar for 90% of my studying for the MBE and passed.

I’ve also heard positive reviews from Themis, however, I’m sure you can find some forum topics about Themis here on TLs.

Good luck.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Fri May 03, 2019 1:21 pm

I'd also recommending supplementing with Adaptibar. As for the course to take along with it, there aren't significant differences among them but some might present the material in a way that is more to your liking. I'd narrow it down to Barbri, Themis, and Kaplan--call each of them and explain your situation to them to see if they have a course specifically geared towards your needs. In other words, see which course isn't so much a "cookie cutter" since it sounds like your situation is somewhat unique having been out of school for some time and trying to balance studying with work.

Sean Silverman (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Cans25

New

Post by Cans25 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:13 pm

I am in the same boat. I graduated law school in 2000 and took the bar and passed in both NH and MA, but due to a move I need to take the February 2020 bar exam in Tennessee. I have read that Bar/Bri is presented in a way that it is difficult for people that have been out of school for a long time, because it presents rules to be memorized without context, and without the benefit of a recent law school experience it can be difficult to make sense of it all. I am curious if anyone else responds as I have the same question about what course will be best for someone in this position.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Tue May 14, 2019 11:19 am

I'll be making phone calls to the reviews to discuss price and the like, but I'll see what Themis says because it's well-recommended and has a strong work at home on the PC option, which is what I need. With my job and other activities and responsibilities I have, I don't have the time to go to classes. I'll have an update on this in a few weeks.

--fpkjd

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xmgr

New

Post by xmgr » Tue May 14, 2019 12:56 pm

I am an older retaker (July 2018) and did Themis along with the Critical Pass flash cards. It worked on the first time, though I also graduated from law school in 2018.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Tue May 28, 2019 2:50 pm

I've sent a detailed e-mail to Themis about my situation and my intent to use them for review for the Feb. 2020 Bar. Waiting to hear back.

Keeping fingers crossed...

fpkjd

hopefulCAatty

New

Post by hopefulCAatty » Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm

fpkjd wrote:I've sent a detailed e-mail to Themis about my situation and my intent to use them for review for the Feb. 2020 Bar. Waiting to hear back.

Keeping fingers crossed...

fpkjd
I know Themis offers promotions throughout the entire year. You should call them and ask them to include you on their email list so you are aware of these promotions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”