New York Bar: Waiver of Strict Compliance? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
woojn26

New

New York Bar: Waiver of Strict Compliance?

Post by woojn26 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:21 am

Hi, I recently passed the February 2019 NY Bar Exam, but I got an email from the Board of Examiners saying that my NYLC/NYLE is void because I completed the NYLC 5 days more than a year before taking the UBE in February this year (maximum is one year before) :roll: Super annoying as I had originally planned to take the UBE in July 2018 but couldn't due to direct schedule conflicts with the course I was taking at the time.

Has anyone ever filed for a Rule 520.14 Waiver of Strict Compliance with the NY Court of Appeals? I want to file one but I know the Board is notoriously slow in making these decisions and as the next deadline for NYLE registration is in less than two weeks I'm wondering if I should even bother...

QContinuum

Re: New York Bar: Waiver of Strict Compliance?

Post by QContinuum » Thu May 02, 2019 10:50 am

I'd honestly recommend just repeating the NYLC (yes, you must rewatch all those videos) and then the NYLE. If you take the NYLE on June 13, you will likely have results circa June 20, and assuming you pass, should be certified by BOLE very shortly thereafter.

So it'll delay you a little over a month and half, but it's guaranteed to work. No guarantee you'll get the waiver or how long that will take, so could easily end up delaying you significantly longer (especially if your waiver is denied and you then miss the June 13 NYLE).

woojn26

New

Post by woojn26 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:35 am

QContinuum wrote:I'd honestly recommend just repeating the NYLC (yes, you must rewatch all those videos) and then the NYLE. If you take the NYLE on June 13, you will likely have results circa June 20, and assuming you pass, should be certified by BOLE very shortly thereafter.

So it'll delay you a little over a month and half, but it's guaranteed to work. No guarantee you'll get the waiver or how long that will take, so could easily end up delaying you significantly longer (especially if your waiver is denied and you then miss the June 13 NYLE).
Yes, that makes sense. I called the Board and they pretty much hinted that it would take too much time to process the waiver anyways. Thanks for the advice!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue May 07, 2019 12:04 pm

woojn26 wrote:Yes, that makes sense. I called the Board and they pretty much hinted that it would take too much time to process the waiver anyways. Thanks for the advice!
Thanks for circling back in. I know this is a pain but you'll be on the other side before you know it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”