2019 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Post by bacillusanthracis » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:36 pm

surge2385 wrote:Is it better to do the PT first or last?
I did the PT first and gave myself 2 hours to do it in.

Yeah, that means I shorted myself 15 minutes on the other two essays, but my PT had to have scored an 80 or better. I honestly think it was the difference between passing and not passing.

And it's possible to write a passing essay for most subjects in 45 minutes. Just get to the point and don't try to show off.

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:02 am

Does anyone recommend a good tutor for essays? My weakest is the essays and I need some good feedback in order to pull up my score.

Euphonious4

New

Post by Euphonious4 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 pm

What's the best way to simulate a full practice exam? For example, I wanted to do the July 2018 Exam the week of the 7th and the Feb 2018 Exam the week of the 14th (both on Tues/Weds). I know the essay questions are released but what's a good way to simulate the 200 MBE questions for the AM/PM sessions on a Tuesday?

boblawlawblog

New

Post by boblawlawblog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:08 am

Hi! I have an exceptional tutor for essays. His name is Chris and he is quite possibly the reason why I passed.

cgidedon@ucdavis.edu

He is affordable, reasonable, incredibly good at explaining what you need to improve on, etc. He is the best. He will make you the John Wick of the California Bar Exam

swishbish33

New

Post by swishbish33 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:22 am

Have fallen several weeks behind on Themis. Any suggestions on how to pivot to a 5 week study schedule (using Themis or other materials) that could bring me within striking range of passing? Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Satoshi

New

Post by Satoshi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 am

Ciedam08 wrote:
Pema wrote:
Ciedam08 wrote:
Satoshi wrote:So.... Do we have any recommendations on what the essays questions will be on for the July 2019 CA Bar?
Dr. Sacuzzo just posted his predictions... contracts/remedies, crimes, PR, Business Association, Con law... wild card: Property distribution rules.
No Civ Pro or Evidence? Property distribution meaning Wills/Trusts/CP? Thanks.
These are just his predictions, so he's never 100 percent correct, but he usually gets 3 out of 5 correct. Yes, property distribution with regard Wills/Trusts/CP. He said to really study the essay #1 for Feb 2019 that was just tested on Wills/Trusts/CP. Heres the link to the website. He debriefs past bar exam questions and posts his predictions. https://www.barsecrets.com

Truth be told, he got it nearly 100% wrong for the Feb Bar. However, generally, their predictions are quite solid.

I do have a hard time believing they will ask CP again... It was a nightmare last time.

And what is your personal opinion? Is there a more than likely chance that civ. pro will appear?

Satoshi

New

Post by Satoshi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 am

PLG wrote:Hello
Anyone taking barsecrets please message me. Thanks :D
Not sure how to private message you.

Yes I am. Second time....

Crtxlaw

New

Post by Crtxlaw » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi all I’m a Texas barred lawyer moving to California soon and studying for the California bar. I used to lurk on this website when i studied for the Tx bar (July ‘16) and it was useful so i wanted to post in case my question can help anyone.

Question about the California essays: does anyone know if California repeats or does similar fact patterns for any of the essays? I’ve been doing some (relax, I’m only doing a lot now because i have to work full time while i study so I’ve been studying for a while) and it seems like the only topic I’ve seen repeated is professional responsibility. When I studied for Texas I began to notice how they were leading you to the topic they wanted you to discuss, but with California I cannot get a grasp on what they’re asking of me in some of the essays. Like why the hell do I have to talk about hearsay exceptions that don’t apply??

Also is it just me or does it seem like the essays have gotten more complicated over the last few years. Whenever I run across an essay I feel good about it’s from the early 2000s. Idk just venting at this point

Satoshi

New

Post by Satoshi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Crtxlaw wrote:Hi all I’m a Texas barred lawyer moving to California soon and studying for the California bar. I used to lurk on this website when i studied for the Tx bar (July ‘16) and it was useful so i wanted to post in case my question can help anyone.

Question about the California essays: does anyone know if California repeats or does similar fact patterns for any of the essays? I’ve been doing some (relax, I’m only doing a lot now because i have to work full time while i study so I’ve been studying for a while) and it seems like the only topic I’ve seen repeated is professional responsibility. When I studied for Texas I began to notice how they were leading you to the topic they wanted you to discuss, but with California I cannot get a grasp on what they’re asking of me in some of the essays. Like why the hell do I have to talk about hearsay exceptions that don’t apply??

Also is it just me or does it seem like the essays have gotten more complicated over the last few years. Whenever I run across an essay I feel good about it’s from the early 2000s. Idk just venting at this point
Hey and welcome to the forum. CA doesn't repeat as much as the UBE's MEE does. And Yes, the essays have gotten alot more complicated...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scarletpiggy

New

Post by scarletpiggy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:29 am

Hi all I’m a Texas barred lawyer moving to California soon and studying for the California bar. I used to lurk on this website when i studied for the Tx bar (July ‘16) and it was useful so i wanted to post in case my question can help anyone.

The essays have gotten more complicated I think because they want to throw more subjects into a fewer numbers of essays now(5 essays) in one day as to more essays (10 ?) in two days back in 2017 and before. I think that Feb exam was the result of them getting really greedy and throwing so many subjects in one essay. The first essay was painful. It was my first time taking the bar and I was still settling down, taking in the environment, and the first essay hit me and I was all so confused. However, other questions were quite straightforward and I was able to write decent answers, I believe. I passed.

I looked at most essays that are available online when I was studying, and I definitely see patterns. However, as far as the first question from Feb goes, I don't think there were essays that asked about quasi-community property in details like that recently so there is a possibility of curve balls for sure. Other than that though, torts was quite normal, so as evidence and real property. I actually looked at every single essays including baby bar questions that are available online and Torts question was very similar the baby bar question in 2015. PR was a bit weird but normal, that it had bunch of smaller issues. I studied all the new rules so I was disappointed they didn't ask any.

So, you do see patterns if you look at more essays and answers and you will get the habit of writing essays in California way? I guess. Some answers you see are not necessarily right, though. Like you said, it is not necessarily necessary to write hearsay exceptions when it doesn't apply at all, but a lot of people do just to feel safe, etc, but my professor said that's not necessary. I didn't write any issue or exceptions that does not apply in the evidence question. If there is anything that might suggest it may be relevant, then I will touch slightly and move on. Again, you will see the pattern as you see more essays. Good luck!

jrpreston

New

Post by jrpreston » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm curious if anyone here is taking Barbri, and also enrolled in AdaptiBar on the side? Is it worth it to do both?

Thanks, and best of luck!!!

Jay Preston

Crtxlaw

New

Post by Crtxlaw » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Is anyone else using Kaplan? Their essay grading is frustrating/kind of making me seriously doubt myself. I feel like they're using their model answers as if they are 65s (despite the fact they said their model answers are definitely 70 or higher) and if you don't get everything exactly right then they knock you for it. Is that just me?

hastingsgal

New

Post by hastingsgal » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:46 pm

Crtxlaw wrote:Is anyone else using Kaplan? Their essay grading is frustrating/kind of making me seriously doubt myself. I feel like they're using their model answers as if they are 65s (despite the fact they said their model answers are definitely 70 or higher) and if you don't get everything exactly right then they knock you for it. Is that just me?
Models are certainly not 65s. They aren't telling you that, are they? Have you looked at real 65s like on BarEssays? They are totally different. You can use the real 65s to self-grade. This is what I did and found it helpful. I wouldn't get too caught up in the grading - just make sure you are hitting the main issues.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Crtxlaw

New

Post by Crtxlaw » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:42 am

hastingsgal wrote:
Crtxlaw wrote:Is anyone else using Kaplan? Their essay grading is frustrating/kind of making me seriously doubt myself. I feel like they're using their model answers as if they are 65s (despite the fact they said their model answers are definitely 70 or higher) and if you don't get everything exactly right then they knock you for it. Is that just me?
Models are certainly not 65s. They aren't telling you that, are they? Have you looked at real 65s like on BarEssays? They are totally different. You can use the real 65s to self-grade. This is what I did and found it helpful. I wouldn't get too caught up in the grading - just make sure you are hitting the main issues.
No they are saying the models are better than 65s but then when I look at the grading they base it off of the model answer and I get frustrated because I feel like of course I am not going to hit every issue perfectly like the model answer does. But I think at this point I will try and look at bar essays. Thank you.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:05 pm

It can help greatly to emulate model answers (I particularly like how Barbri sets up the issues and rules), but Kaplan's model answers are not what you should be emulating IMO. Kaplan's model essays literally dump a half page of rules to sort through (often the largest paragraph), which isn't helpful on the real essays.

throwthrowaway

New

Post by throwthrowaway » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Is anyone having issues with logging into the CA Bar Examsoft website to certify their laptop? I finally received my admission ticket yesterday, but can't seem to login using the file number + birthday. Wondering if it's just me and if there's something a bigger issue with my file (wrong birthday, etc. etc.)

Pema

New

Post by Pema » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:31 pm

throwthrowaway wrote:Is anyone having issues with logging into the CA Bar Examsoft website to certify their laptop? I finally received my admission ticket yesterday, but can't seem to login using the file number + birthday. Wondering if it's just me and if there's something a bigger issue with my file (wrong birthday, etc. etc.)
If file # is 5 digits may need to lead with a 0 to make it 6 digits. Just went through that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

throwthrowaway

New

Post by throwthrowaway » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:09 pm

Pema wrote:
throwthrowaway wrote:Is anyone having issues with logging into the CA Bar Examsoft website to certify their laptop? I finally received my admission ticket yesterday, but can't seem to login using the file number + birthday. Wondering if it's just me and if there's something a bigger issue with my file (wrong birthday, etc. etc.)
If file # is 5 digits may need to lead with a 0 to make it 6 digits. Just went through that.
Unfortunately, my file # is already 6 digits... Did you call the Examsoft help line for assistance, and if so, were they helpful? I'm wondering if they have an answer or if this is a bigger issue with the CA Bar ppl.

lawlady4999

New

Post by lawlady4999 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Access Examsoft by first downloading Examplify through link
ID#: Use your 6 digit file # (add leading “0” if needed); PW: your date of birth
Institution ID #: State Bar of Cal

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Hey all. Thought I would join the party. I've been licensed in Texas since 2013. I'm taking the July attorney exam. I'm just getting started with my review, but I have the next month to devote to nothing but learning the essays. Hopefully that will suffice.

Someone posted that Dr. Sacuzzo (Bar Secrets) predicted the essay topics would be contracts/remedies, crimes, business associations, con law, and PR. That makes sense to me. Civ pro, real property, and torts are rarely tested in consecutive administrations, and all three were tested in February. Evidence has been tested the last two administrations, so it seems unlikely too. Community property has been tested the last four administrations, so it might be time to give that one a rest as well.

Business associations and criminal law/procedure are overdue. Plus, those topics often seem to appear together (Feb/2013; Jul/2014; Jul/2015; Feb/2017).

Anyone have any other predictions?

hastingsgal

New

Post by hastingsgal » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 pm

chrisokc wrote:Hey all. Thought I would join the party. I've been licensed in Texas since 2013. I'm taking the July attorney exam. I'm just getting started with my review, but I have the next month to devote to nothing but learning the essays. Hopefully that will suffice.

Someone posted that Dr. Sacuzzo (Bar Secrets) predicted the essay topics would be contracts/remedies, crimes, business associations, con law, and PR. That makes sense to me. Civ pro, real property, and torts are rarely tested in consecutive administrations, and all three were tested in February. Evidence has been tested the last two administrations, so it seems unlikely too. Community property has been tested the last four administrations, so it might be time to give that one a rest as well.

Business associations and criminal law/procedure are overdue. Plus, those topics often seem to appear together (Feb/2013; Jul/2014; Jul/2015; Feb/2017).

Evidence is tested more than any subject other than PR. But your mindset here is wrong. Most of the subjects are tested at random. Just because community property was tested 4 times in a row does not make it less likely that it will be tested again. It's pointless to guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:47 pm

hastingsgal wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Hey all. Thought I would join the party. I've been licensed in Texas since 2013. I'm taking the July attorney exam. I'm just getting started with my review, but I have the next month to devote to nothing but learning the essays. Hopefully that will suffice.

Evidence is tested more than any subject other than PR. But your mindset here is wrong. Most of the subjects are tested at random. Just because community property was tested 4 times in a row does not make it less likely that it will be tested again. It's pointless to guess.
I agree -- there is no way to know with certainty which subjects will be tested. If we knew for sure that the subjects would not repeat consecutively, we could eliminate civ pro, RP, and torts altogether. It would be too risky to do, unless facing a dire time crunch. But hypothetically, if I were forced to completely ignore three subjects, I would probably choose those three.

Crtxlaw

New

Post by Crtxlaw » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Just want to pop back in to say I’m dying trying to learn CA and MBE Evidence/Civ Pro. That’s all

hastingsgal

New

Post by hastingsgal » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:41 am

chrisokc wrote:
hastingsgal wrote:

I agree -- there is no way to know with certainty which subjects will be tested. If we knew for sure that the subjects would not repeat consecutively, we could eliminate civ pro, RP, and torts altogether. It would be too risky to do, unless facing a dire time crunch. But hypothetically, if I were forced to completely ignore three subjects, I would probably choose those three.
Even under a time crunch it does not make sense. The premise is that a subject is not as likely to be tested consecutively. But this is simply not true. It's totally irrelevant what they tested prior. That being said, it's obvious they like to test PR and evidence.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Anyone here able to give me their Kaplan bar notes for CA PR? I have the bar notes from last july, but I understand some rules have been amended. Thx.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”