2019 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Ciedam08

New

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Post by Ciedam08 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Pema wrote:
Ciedam08 wrote:
Satoshi wrote:So.... Do we have any recommendations on what the essays questions will be on for the July 2019 CA Bar?
Dr. Sacuzzo just posted his predictions... contracts/remedies, crimes, PR, Business Association, Con law... wild card: Property distribution rules.
No Civ Pro or Evidence? Property distribution meaning Wills/Trusts/CP? Thanks.
These are just his predictions, so he's never 100 percent correct, but he usually gets 3 out of 5 correct. Yes, property distribution with regard Wills/Trusts/CP. He said to really study the essay #1 for Feb 2019 that was just tested on Wills/Trusts/CP. Heres the link to the website. He debriefs past bar exam questions and posts his predictions. https://www.barsecrets.com

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:54 am

For those who are using/have used Barbri, I am curious which parts you chose to skip to save time? I am supplementing with Baressays and Adaptibar, so I don't want to be tied down to checking every box with Barbri but do want to do what is most useful.

Law4lyf

New

Post by Law4lyf » Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 am

I used Themis + Adaptibar + Critical pass flashcards. Passed on my first attempt doing about 70% of tThemis. Key is to recognize what is pulling down your scores. Mine was the MBE so I went the extra mile to get Adaptibar and Critical Pass. Adaptibar uses real MBE questions while Themis and Barbri make up a bunch of their own (plus licensing a few). I used critical pass to run through the topics I was weak at to make sure that I had a basic understanding of the law (that's all you need!). The flashcards were great and was key to me passing the bar.

[External link redacted]
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact advertisements and external links.

CALTEX

New

Post by CALTEX » Mon May 27, 2019 11:15 am

If you want to meet me somewhere in the Glendale/Burbank area, I am GIVING away the books listed below.

I have a full set of the Themis 2018-2019 books, Emmanuel Strategies and Tactics for the MBE, California Bar Tutors 2018 California Bar Exam Total Preparation Book, and Mary Basick's CPT Workbook.

I am a practicing lawyer (for many years) and this was my 2nd bar exam (also licensed in TX). If you want my books, I can meet you at a Starbucks in the Burbank/Glendale area. Just let me know how to get in touch with you and I will meet you and hand these over. Good luck to all!!!

Lov65

New

Post by Lov65 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:42 pm

CALTEX wrote:If you want to meet me somewhere in the Glendale/Burbank area, I am GIVING away the books listed below.

I have a full set of the Themis 2018-2019 books, Emmanuel Strategies and Tactics for the MBE, California Bar Tutors 2018 California Bar Exam Total Preparation Book, and Mary Basick's CPT Workbook.

I am a practicing lawyer (for many years) and this was my 2nd bar exam (also licensed in TX). If you want my books, I can meet you at a Starbucks in the Burbank/Glendale area. Just let me know how to get in touch with you and I will meet you and hand these over. Good luck to all!!!
I want the books
Please , I am in Los Angeles . My number , 3232454676 . Cheers !

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 pm

I graduated back in 2010 and started a couple weeks early Im doing Themis plus several supplements - so far I'm at about 22% done with 70% overall correct on the MBE- (Contracts, Prop, and Torts so far) - I also just picked up Adaptibar after debating for 2 weeks weather to shell out the extra cash - i think its been nice to have to do some questions when i have 10-15 minutes - not enough time to whip out S&T but enough time to roll through some PQ on Adaptibar - there are some repeats but i see that as an opportunity to go through the rule again and apply - i wasn't going to get it because people were saying there are a lot of repeats but i feel like the ones I've done are varied enough - there also a little bit of a different feel - the ones i've done were harder than the last batch of torts i did for Themis - still relatively early in the game though - probably see more repeats when i get into the mixed PQ - but i learn by doing so rather repeat a rule coming up in a question than read flashcards or outlines over and over.

surge2385

New

Post by surge2385 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Is it better to do the PT first or last?

CALTEX

New

Post by CALTEX » Mon May 27, 2019 9:13 pm

Lov65 wrote:
CALTEX wrote:If you want to meet me somewhere in the Glendale/Burbank area, I am GIVING away the books listed below.

I want the books
Please , I am in Los Angeles . My number , 3232454676 . Cheers !
They are yours!

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:39 pm

Does anyone have the Barbri MPQ mbe book for sale? any year preferably little writing in it so I can still do the questions? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 pm

MBE questions be like :

Which one of the following is a fruit?

a) Orange Juice
b) Apple Pie
c) dismissal for lack of subject matter jurisdiction
d) Banana Bread

nappingwolf

New

Post by nappingwolf » Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm

ipsares wrote:MBE questions be like :

Which one of the following is a fruit?

a) Orange Juice
b) Apple Pie
c) dismissal for lack of subject matter jurisdiction
d) Banana Bread
Completely accurate lol. Been feeling way too serious the last few days, thanks for the laugh.

nappingwolf

New

Post by nappingwolf » Wed May 29, 2019 10:09 pm

rcharter1978 wrote: I'm not in your position, but maybe you'd have better success if you constantly cycled subjects. So if you went over property first, focus on it for a couple days, move onto another subject, but after a week, do some mbe property questions and try to issue spot a property essay. I'm just brainstorming here so maybe it doesn't make sense.

I told someone else this, and it's silly, but for me, information sticks so much better if I write it. Its how I studied in law school, and I ignored it the first time I studied for the bar, to my detriment. I outlined and wrote out rule statements for MBE questions I got wrong the second time and I think it helped me pass the exam overall. MBE questions were never my problem, but writing rule statements for mbes helped me to have them for the essays too.

Anyways, it's not a surprise that you came up with good stuff on game day. No matter how many practice exams you do, nothing pushes your brain more than the actual exam.
I agree, I’m now cycling subjects daily so I can cover each topic at least once a week or every 1.5 weeks. Also decided to start memorizing a little now while doing practice Qs, but with limited study time I have no idea how this is all gonna go down. I’m honestly not sure where all the info I covered last month went bc it’s not in my memory. Just started over with a new schedule so I’ll see if that helps. Still worried af that day 1 will roll up and my mind will be empty. Kicking myself for not passing this beast years ago. Anyways, appreciate your suggestions.

WhittyJD

New

Post by WhittyJD » Thu May 30, 2019 12:08 am

nappingwolf wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote: I'm not in your position, but maybe you'd have better success if you constantly cycled subjects. So if you went over property first, focus on it for a couple days, move onto another subject, but after a week, do some mbe property questions and try to issue spot a property essay. I'm just brainstorming here so maybe it doesn't make sense.

I told someone else this, and it's silly, but for me, information sticks so much better if I write it. Its how I studied in law school, and I ignored it the first time I studied for the bar, to my detriment. I outlined and wrote out rule statements for MBE questions I got wrong the second time and I think it helped me pass the exam overall. MBE questions were never my problem, but writing rule statements for mbes helped me to have them for the essays too.

Anyways, it's not a surprise that you came up with good stuff on game day. No matter how many practice exams you do, nothing pushes your brain more than the actual exam.
I agree, I’m now cycling subjects daily so I can cover each topic at least once a week or every 1.5 weeks. Also decided to start memorizing a little now while doing practice Qs, but with limited study time I have no idea how this is all gonna go down. I’m honestly not sure where all the info I covered last month went bc it’s not in my memory. Just started over with a new schedule so I’ll see if that helps. Still worried af that day 1 will roll up and my mind will be empty. Kicking myself for not passing this beast years ago. Anyways, appreciate your suggestions.
I'm in the same boat ... working full time and started studying May 1 ... but one week was on a family vacation. Goal is to totally immerse myself in each subject for at least 2 days -- review outline, complete understand, write outline in own handwriting, create a checklist, do 4-6 essays, create an "essay outline" ... repeat. I am only halfway through the subjects. I have gone back and reviewed my checklists and essays outlines for prior subjects and some things stick. For me, outlines and checklists are not enough. I need to SEE it in practice. When I took the bar 12 years ago in a different jurisdiction I focused mainly on essays and MBE practice questions and passed. Also, that bar wasn't nearly as difficult as California.

I agree with many of the comments regarding patterns in the essays. There is a formula, of which I plan to master. In a week or so I plan to create flash cards for the top 8-12 rules for each subject. As time begins to pass I will study the outline ... the essay outline ... my checklist ... my flashcards. I cannot believe I am doing this at the age of 37, but alas, I want to escape the cold and finally live in California. The only thing holding be back from a life in Cali in the bar.

My materials ... Basick's book Essay Exam Writing for the California Bar Exam, Magic Sheets, Approsheets. I am considering purchasing Bar Essays for the Essay Outlines/Prompts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chickenb00b

New

Post by chickenb00b » Thu May 30, 2019 3:38 pm

UmaThurman wrote:
chickenb00b wrote:Hi! I'm an CA essay grader for a major bar prep company. We're trained by those who were past bar exam graders. Additionally, I also have experience with many of the supplements, including Critical Flash, Adaptibar, SmartBarPrep, Barbri conviser, (the one page supplement that I can't seem to remember the name off the top of my head), Emanuel MBEs (Tactics and Strats(?)), etc. etc.

Since I'm waiting for the bar study season to start in late May, I thought I'd offer some opinion/suggestion/advice here. If you have any questions (and there are no dumb ones), or need guidance, then ask and I'll offer my opinion.

I do ask that you quote this so I can see the notification and respond. Good luck studying folks!!!
Hi! What do you think about SmartBarPrep essay rules vs. Barbri Conviser? Does it make sense to use both, or Conviser will be enough for the rules?
Sorry for late response; busy month at work.

Great question! Let me answer both generally and specifically. Generally speaking, any supplement (including smartbarprep, conviser, themis, free outlines from google, etc.) will more or less have the same rule statements. You may notice, as I have, that there are some that are completely missing a nuance. Some combined elements together. Whatever the case may be, it doesn't matter! I tell all bar applicants to not fall for the trap of trying to have a perfect starting outline to study off of. The plan over the next few weeks is to have a basic bare bones outline and you build off of that.

Imagine using a crappy outline from Google. You reviewed it several times. Think you're good to go to practice essays. Do one essay on the subject. Reviewed the Sample Answer. Realized that you can add an additional nuance or factor into your outline. You add it. Now next time you come across a similar fact pattern that triggers the nuance, you can discuss/analyze it appropriately.

Point is, your first outline from other supplements does not need to be perfect. In fact, I wasted so much time trying to figure out the BEST program/supplement to use so that my rules will be perfect. Afterall, if I have a perfect outline with all the rules/nuance/factors, and I memorized it, then I'm fine right? In the ideal world, sure! However, the bar requires practice. Practice leads to mistakes. Mistakes lead to memorization. "I remember this rule since I completely screwed up on it last time."

Now, does it make sense to use both? It depends. It will be time consuming to cross reference both to see if the law you have on your outline is absolutely correct. 90% of the time, they will be nearly identical but worded differently. Maybe you'll like the way one is worded over the other. Personally, if I could do it all over, I would just use the rules from conviser and build off of that.

Smartbarprep has its pros--it provides the frequency of each rule. But, I think it's more important to just do practice essays. You'll recognize the frequently tested rules. Smartbarprep can easily cause you to think "hey this rule was tested twice over the last decade, I can ignore it." While statistically speaking, it's smarter to focus on the frequently tested rules, I think knowing it all, and at the very least tried to practice applying the less frequent rules will help you tremendously if and when it does appear on the exam.

Finally, practically speaking, if money isn't a problem to you, then sure, buy smartbarprep as well, just be mindful of what I discussed in the preceding paragraph.

TLDR: don't focus too much on having the perfect outline--that will naturally come with trial/error, mistakes, practice essays, etc. Practice makes perfect. On another note, don't think "I haven't memorized the entire outline yet, so I shouldn't start any practice essay." Practice helps you memorize.

Miss-Bubbled

New

Post by Miss-Bubbled » Thu May 30, 2019 6:15 pm

Anybody taking Themis? I just started professional responsibility...I can't stand this Mary Goza . Am I the only one?

ReasonablePersonSSC

New

Post by ReasonablePersonSSC » Thu May 30, 2019 7:16 pm

Miss-Bubbled wrote:Anybody taking Themis? I just started professional responsibility...I can't stand this Mary Goza . Am I the only one?
Your screen name made be wince...When I had a few minutes to spare in the afternoon MBE day, I found 4 questions I had mis-bubbled. I panicked after finding the first one and then found 3 more where what I had bubbled did not match what I had circled on the paper test form.

I passed, but not knowing how many I may have mis-bubbled in the morning session haunted me until the results were posted. I’ll never know my score so I don’t know the impact of mis-bubbling.

bigpete777

New

Post by bigpete777 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:56 pm

Underoath wrote:I live in Sherman oaks area. Does anyone want my Themis material free of charge? Just have to meet me at a Starbucks or other public location in Sherman oaks.
Anyone take you up on this yet? I’d love anything dealing with the CA essays.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nappingwolf

New

Post by nappingwolf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:16 am

WhittyJD wrote: I'm in the same boat ... working full time and started studying May 1 ... but one week was on a family vacation. Goal is to totally immerse myself in each subject for at least 2 days -- review outline, complete understand, write outline in own handwriting, create a checklist, do 4-6 essays, create an "essay outline" ... repeat. I am only halfway through the subjects. I have gone back and reviewed my checklists and essays outlines for prior subjects and some things stick. For me, outlines and checklists are not enough. I need to SEE it in practice. When I took the bar 12 years ago in a different jurisdiction I focused mainly on essays and MBE practice questions and passed. Also, that bar wasn't nearly as difficult as California.

I agree with many of the comments regarding patterns in the essays. There is a formula, of which I plan to master. In a week or so I plan to create flash cards for the top 8-12 rules for each subject. As time begins to pass I will study the outline ... the essay outline ... my checklist ... my flashcards. I cannot believe I am doing this at the age of 37, but alas, I want to escape the cold and finally live in California. The only thing holding be back from a life in Cali in the bar.

My materials ... Basick's book Essay Exam Writing for the California Bar Exam, Magic Sheets, Approsheets. I am considering purchasing Bar Essays for the Essay Outlines/Prompts.
Sounds like a solid plan. Cracking that pattern/formula is one of the things driving me, I’m going to make sure I figure it out and then master it. The whole working/studying combo was making me crack a bit but the stress must be unlocking some shit from years ago because I have rules suddenly appearing out of nowhere during essay practice that I memorized back in 2012.

nappingwolf

New

Post by nappingwolf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:21 am

I bit the bullet and signed up for Adaptibar this weekend. Didn’t want to because S&T has been great but man, I’m so glad I did. The app is so convenient too. Anyway, if anyone needs a discount code let me know.

numb3r4

New

Post by numb3r4 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:54 am

The Barbri guy who teaches Torts is actually pretty hilarious. I've enjoyed this one. It gave me a lot of hope. Then I got to Property. All the mini questions are GoT related and he's just mispronouncing every name... Went from 10/10 to 0/10 real quick. I'm truly hoping the rest aren't this terrible and that they are more like Torts.

Also, basically just been doing 40 AdaptiBar questions in the morning (reviewing any I get wrong by writing substantive rules), then reviewing a stack of CP flashcards (different topic each day), then doing an essay topic in Mary Basick's book, then finishing with trying to watch one BarBri substantive lecture at the end of each day (I've decided to not do the rest of BarBri crap cause it drains my soul -- even the lectures have become hard to get through but I'm too scared to not watch them).

I'm worried I'm not memorizing entire rule statements because I don't know how I'm going to write my essays without them so I'm brainstorming ways to throw that in somewhere... with all the free time haha. Also signed up for BarEssays to review my essays but haven't done a ton yet. Also committed to doing a full timed PT every Monday and yesterday's was god-awful for me. Definitely going to need to work on my strategy for those so I don't fail due to the PT. Ideally by the 7th time it all just comes together because I'm not planning to do anything extra lol.

Hope everyone else is having as much "fun" as I am! If you're miserable, just know you're not alone.

P.S. I needed a show to watch in my breaks and started The Good Wife which hasn't been completely useless to my evidence knowledge hahaha!

ReasonablePersonSSC

New

Post by ReasonablePersonSSC » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am

numb3r4 wrote:The Barbri guy who teaches Torts is actually pretty hilarious. I've enjoyed this one. It gave me a lot of hope. Then I got to Property. All the mini questions are GoT related and he's just mispronouncing every name... Went from 10/10 to 0/10 real quick. I'm truly hoping the rest aren't this terrible and that they are more like Torts.

Also, basically just been doing 40 AdaptiBar questions in the morning (reviewing any I get wrong by writing substantive rules), then reviewing a stack of CP flashcards (different topic each day), then doing an essay topic in Mary Basick's book, then finishing with trying to watch one BarBri substantive lecture at the end of each day (I've decided to not do the rest of BarBri crap cause it drains my soul -- even the lectures have become hard to get through but I'm too scared to not watch them).

I'm worried I'm not memorizing entire rule statements because I don't know how I'm going to write my essays without them so I'm brainstorming ways to throw that in somewhere... with all the free time haha. Also signed up for BarEssays to review my essays but haven't done a ton yet. Also committed to doing a full timed PT every Monday and yesterday's was god-awful for me. Definitely going to need to work on my strategy for those so I don't fail due to the PT. Ideally by the 7th time it all just comes together because I'm not planning to do anything extra lol.

Hope everyone else is having as much "fun" as I am! If you're miserable, just know you're not alone.

P.S. I needed a show to watch in my breaks and started The Good Wife which hasn't been completely useless to my evidence knowledge hahaha!
Your schedule incorporates lots of practice that will pay off in points during the exam—kudos!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nrand001

New

Post by nrand001 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Hey guys, i have found cal bar bible's study materials to be of great benefit. I was having a really hard time getting all the rules memorized, but cal bar bible has these condensed study sheets which makes memorization sooo much easier. literally every subject is broken down to its most simple format. They also have various attack sheets and charts to simply complex concepts in contracts and property. check it out!

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:39 pm

nrand001 wrote:Hey guys, i have found cal bar bible's study materials to be of great benefit. I was having a really hard time getting all the rules memorized, but cal bar bible has these condensed study sheets which makes memorization sooo much easier. literally every subject is broken down to its most simple format. They also have various attack sheets and charts to simply complex concepts in contracts and property. check it out!
DId anyone else get a random DM from nrand advertising this product? Mods, is this ok?

resipsastudent

New

Post by resipsastudent » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:28 pm

[Redacted - Sockpuppet account of nrand "endorsing" their own post]
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

resipsastudent

New

Post by resipsastudent » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:30 pm

[Redacted - Sockpuppet account of nrand "endorsing" their own post]

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”