UBE: NY or DC? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bobbielawlaw

New

UBE: NY or DC?

Post by bobbielawlaw » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi! I’m deciding whether to take the UBE in New York or DC and would love some advice on what would be best logistically.

Some considerations:
1) I ultimately want to be barred in both jurisdictions.
2) My job will be in DC but I’m from NY and want to eventually come back.
3) I’ll be studying in NY, but can take the train to DC if that’s where I decide to take it.
4) I’ve already taken the NYLE so I’m all set in that respect.

Thanks so much for any help!

QContinuum

Re: UBE: NY or DC?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:05 pm

There's always a risk of a government shutdown impacting the bar exam in D.C. That's not a concern in NY.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:40 am

For the most part, not too much to be concerned about with this decision. I believe they have both set the same passing score (266) so that, too, is not an issue. Take the exam wherever it'll be more convenient to do so.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

sleeplessindc

New

Post by sleeplessindc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Another factor to consider is that membership in the New York Bar has both a CLE and pro bono requirement while DC Bar membership has neither. So if the sequencing doesn't matter, you just need to be barred somewhere, and you expect a long delay before obtaining the second bar membership, you may want to get barred in DC first and then NY. (Unless you know you'll love doing CLE and pro bono.)

Scoring wise, I'd love to get Joe Seperac's take whether these two jurisdictions use different grading and scaling systems for the essays part of the UBE.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:59 pm

sleeplessindc wrote:Another factor to consider is that membership in the New York Bar has both a CLE and pro bono requirement while DC Bar membership has neither. So if the sequencing doesn't matter, you just need to be barred somewhere, and you expect a long delay before obtaining the second bar membership, you may want to get barred in DC first and then NY. (Unless you know you'll love doing CLE and pro bono.)
NY only has a pro bono requirement for initial admission. If OP will be working at a law firm that does pro bono, they will find it exceptionally easy to rack up the requisite 50 hours. (In fact, if they did a BigLaw SA and did pro bono work during that summer, they may already have logged the requisite hours.) There is no requirement for admitted attorneys to do pro bono work on an ongoing basis to keep/renew their license.

But true that NY has an ongoing CLE requirement while DC does not (DC only has a one-time Mandatory Course for newly admitted lawyers).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:48 am

The other thing to bear in mind is that waiving in to DC apparently takes forever (like 8-9 months in some cases). So if you're mainly going to be practicing in DC to start, it makes more sense to get barred there, then waive in to NY.

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 am

So I was in your exact position. You should take DC. You'll get barred pretty fast in DC if you take it there instead of trying to transfer your score/waive in (except for the recent gov't shutdown, DC generally has you able to swear in by the December after you graduate). It's very easy to transfer your NY UBE and apply -- I just did it. Most importantly, the DC test location is way better than what you'll get in NY. The convention center (where everyone takes in DC) is big, quiet, and temperature controlled. In NY you risk getting buffalo or the armory in brooklyn, and there are just way too many horror stories.

sleeplessindc

New

Post by sleeplessindc » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:01 pm

CLSGumbo wrote:So I was in your exact position. You should take DC. You'll get barred pretty fast in DC if you take it there instead of trying to transfer your score/waive in (except for the recent gov't shutdown, DC generally has you able to swear in by the December after you graduate). It's very easy to transfer your NY UBE and apply -- I just did it. Most importantly, the DC test location is way better than what you'll get in NY. The convention center (where everyone takes in DC) is big, quiet, and temperature controlled. In NY you risk getting buffalo or the armory in brooklyn, and there are just way too many horror stories.
As a Public Service Announcement, DC used to hold the bar exam at the Convention Center, which is conveniently located right on top of a metro train station in the central part of the city and downtown near lots of restaurants and other eateries. However, the February 2019 exam was held at the Stadium Armory on the far east side of town, in one big room with rows of tables. I don't think the DC Bar ever explained the reason for the location change, but just beware that DC might hold the exam again at the Stadium.

fwiw, the Stadium is also conveniently located right next to a metro station, though obviously it's not centrally located. The lack of lunch options nearby should not be a problem because the exam administrators also allowed people to bring food in backpacks.

DC announced the test center change last year on its website, but I heard some people just assumed the exam would be held at the Convention Center again and freaked out about needing to change their plans later.

sleeplessindc

New

Post by sleeplessindc » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:56 pm

QContinuum wrote:
sleeplessindc wrote:Another factor to consider is that membership in the New York Bar has both a CLE and pro bono requirement while DC Bar membership has neither. So if the sequencing doesn't matter, you just need to be barred somewhere, and you expect a long delay before obtaining the second bar membership, you may want to get barred in DC first and then NY. (Unless you know you'll love doing CLE and pro bono.)
NY only has a pro bono requirement for initial admission. If OP will be working at a law firm that does pro bono, they will find it exceptionally easy to rack up the requisite 50 hours. (In fact, if they did a BigLaw SA and did pro bono work during that summer, they may already have logged the requisite hours.) There is no requirement for admitted attorneys to do pro bono work on an ongoing basis to keep/renew their license.

But true that NY has an ongoing CLE requirement while DC does not (DC only has a one-time Mandatory Course for newly admitted lawyers).
oh yeah, OP: we should also mention that the maximum age of transferable UBE scores is different in New York and DC. It's 3 years for NY and 5 years for DC. So if you don't plan to get your second license for, say, 4 years, I would get barred in New York first and then waive into DC, despite every other reason listed here to get barred in DC first.

Hands down I would do 50 hours of pro bono and four extra years of a few interesting CLE classes per year instead of taking the UBE again (200-500 hours or more). Like it's not even a close call.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”