How was the MBE today? (Feb. 2019) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawgirl3521

New

Re: How was the MBE today? (Feb. 2019)

Post by lawgirl3521 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 pm

Houstonttt wrote:I personally knew no one who said the exam like adaptibar
Only few online :$
Are you getting commission hahahhaha MAJORITY THINK mbe was noting like what they study !!
Oh wow? I didn't know that was the consensus - I had a different take on it entirely - I took adaptibar and thought the questions were almost identical to the MBE - in fact, there was a contracts question with the $1100 in dispute and it was verbatim taken from the 2013 OPE - I reviewed my answers from that 2013 exam the morning of the MBE and the question was literally exactly the same with the exact same answer choices.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Are the main subjects (property, torts, etc) divided up equally on the exam?

Bd2727

New

Post by Bd2727 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:15 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:I can confidently guess that this will be the worst passing rate in bar exam history. I have been away from the law for 30 years, so I gave myself a year. I did over 3800 practice questions and took notes on the law and every species of trick employed by the examiners. I logged my study, spending over 1500 hours over the course of this year. Here's what I observed during my tortureous two days. I was averaging between 91%-94% raw on the practice questions going in, and even I struggled. First of all, forget that baloney about the questions resembling the OPE Exams or the Study Aids. Although these questions were not as long as the old released questions, they are not nearly as short as the 610 OPE/Study Aid questions. As some of you have noted, they were very tricky. I normally guess in one or two questions out of 100, I flat out guessed five times in each session on exam day. Some of the tricks included testing two bodies of law in one question, and providing answers from both subjects. Yes, cross subject answers. Is it Property or is it Evidence, it's two great tastes in one dandy bar. However, upon reflection, I believe all of these were unscored pretest questions or we would have heard people complain about them before, and we haven't. Forget them, they won't count. If that's not enough to unsettle your nerves, they made liberal use of the Captain Obvious answer. That's the answer you can only justify by eliminating all other answers, these are short and to the point answers like: "yes, because it is unconstitutional." I HATE Captain Obvious. Interestingly enough, there were many questions that just reused old released questions, almost frigging verbatum. Those cost me some time because I smelled a rat, thinking it can't be this easy. It was, they just rewrote the old question and there you go. Bottom Line: If I wasn't so overprepared I wouldn't have any frigging idea how I did on this test, it was that bad. My best guess is my actual score is going to be 7%-10% lower than in practice. This means the scale is out the window, it will only restore to you what the actual test took away because it was so quirky and difficult, so you can take your raw score on the practice tests and there you go folks. In my case, that would put me near 190 scaled, however I did the work and was overprepared so I deserve it, and I'm going to need it because I royally f'd up the essays, to include time mismanagement and a touchpad that kept moving my cursor around the page while I was typing, my font kept changing on its own, and a cursor button that didn't work so I couldn't cut and paste without losing a lot of time. I almost threw my laptop across the room and definitely dropped a few f-bombs during the test. :twisted: What a frigging nightmare. We all suffer in some respects during this cruel rite of initiation folks. I downed a liter and a half of chardonnay last night, and it's back to business today. THAT was a very nasty experience I wouldn't care to repeat. Let's hope I don't have to.
I suspect you didn't use a lot of white space in your essay answers either :P

I did about 48% of Kaplan program because I work full time as an attorney. In 2014, I got 168 on MBE which was about 90 percentile of test takers. I was much less prepared this time; I did about 750 questions, got 71% on the final Kaplan test. This MBE felt very difficult, but so did the one I took in 2014. I think it feels so difficult because of the experimental questions. There were definitely some easy questions (just not a lot). I suspect my percentage on this one is maybe 55-60% before the curve. I figure they curve 10% or so.

If you think about it, you only need to know the answer to about 40% or so of the questions. If you narrow most of the remaining ones down to 2 options, you pass.

I thought the ube essays were very straightforward which was a relief and makes me feel more confident about passing. But we'll see.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:48 am

not guilty wrote:Are the main subjects (property, torts, etc) divided up equally on the exam?
Technically the lecturers tell you yes for MBE. I'm not sure if people counted (though apparently one kid was talking about how he counted the AM session to predict what would come up in the PM, which I think is dangerous unless you know for sure it's equally distributed)

lady_gaga

New

Post by lady_gaga » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:40 am

KunAgnis wrote:
not guilty wrote:Are the main subjects (property, torts, etc) divided up equally on the exam?
Technically the lecturers tell you yes for MBE. I'm not sure if people counted (though apparently one kid was talking about how he counted the AM session to predict what would come up in the PM, which I think is dangerous unless you know for sure it's equally distributed)
I counted property law questions for the AM session and only had 10. It didn’t feel like there was 20 property questions in the PM session. I wonder if they mislead with regard to how many questions and the distribution from that official mbe outline ncbe puts out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:06 am

KunAgnis wrote:
Smiddywesson wrote:I can confidently guess that this will be the worst passing rate in bar exam history. I have been away from the law for 30 years, so I gave myself a year. I did over 3800 practice questions and took notes on the law and every species of trick employed by the examiners. I logged my study, spending over 1500 hours over the course of this year. Here's what I observed during my tortureous two days. I was averaging between 91%-94% raw on the practice questions going in, and even I struggled. First of all, forget that baloney about the questions resembling the OPE Exams or the Study Aids. Although these questions were not as long as the old released questions, they are not nearly as short as the 610 OPE/Study Aid questions. As some of you have noted, they were very tricky. I normally guess in one or two questions out of 100, I flat out guessed five times in each session on exam day. Some of the tricks included testing two bodies of law in one question, and providing answers from both subjects. Yes, cross subject answers. Is it Property or is it Evidence, it's two great tastes in one dandy bar. However, upon reflection, I believe all of these were unscored pretest questions or we would have heard people complain about them before, and we haven't. Forget them, they won't count. If that's not enough to unsettle your nerves, they made liberal use of the Captain Obvious answer. That's the answer you can only justify by eliminating all other answers, these are short and to the point answers like: "yes, because it is unconstitutional." I HATE Captain Obvious. Interestingly enough, there were many questions that just reused old released questions, almost frigging verbatum. Those cost me some time because I smelled a rat, thinking it can't be this easy. It was, they just rewrote the old question and there you go. Bottom Line: If I wasn't so overprepared I wouldn't have any frigging idea how I did on this test, it was that bad. My best guess is my actual score is going to be 7%-10% lower than in practice. This means the scale is out the window, it will only restore to you what the actual test took away because it was so quirky and difficult, so you can take your raw score on the practice tests and there you go folks. In my case, that would put me near 190 scaled, however I did the work and was overprepared so I deserve it, and I'm going to need it because I royally f'd up the essays, to include time mismanagement and a touchpad that kept moving my cursor around the page while I was typing, my font kept changing on its own, and a cursor button that didn't work so I couldn't cut and paste without losing a lot of time. I almost threw my laptop across the room and definitely dropped a few f-bombs during the test. :twisted: What a frigging nightmare. We all suffer in some respects during this cruel rite of initiation folks. I downed a liter and a half of chardonnay last night, and it's back to business today. THAT was a very nasty experience I wouldn't care to repeat. Let's hope I don't have to.
I'm just impressed with your level of commitment to passing. I only completed like 39% of the Barbri course.
I'm 57, and have been away from the law for 30 years. I knew last February that I couldn't be as fast or sharp as a 28 year old. Therefore, I just hit it with a bigger hammer, planning to go into the test knowing more facts, and knowing more about how they trick you into picking the wrong answers. 3800 questions divided by 365 is just slightly over ten questions per day. With five minutes or so to study all the answers and take some notes, that's slightly over an hour a day for Adaptibar. The rest of the time was long outlines and lectures while commuting. You need those outlines because they don't release equators. Most of the released questions are old, and they don't cover 1/3 of the tested materials.

The problem with this test is time to prepare. The materials aren't hard, there are just so many of them. Most people in July have only 9 weeks. They are exhausted from exams and moving back home, and then they have to take on this enormous undertaking. In February, the problem is most people are working full time, and the group is filtered for people who have problems with the multiple choice format. I can't understand why the bar examiners don't move the test to August, the pass rate would jump enormously.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:39 am

Are you getting commission hahahhaha MAJORITY THINK mbe was noting like what they study !!
Anyone who says the MBE is nothing like the released questions is exaggerating. Opinions are meaningless, here are the facts. There are 1181 old released practice questions. The NCBE says you should not rely solely on them, because the law changes with time. My take is it doesn't change all that much, but that's just my opinion. There are also 620 released questions that postdate 2014. This is the drawback of services based on released questions, there just are not that many recent ones. Adaptibar drafts additional questions to fill in the cracks. I never did a study to identify and evaluate them on their quality. My opinion is they were good. Therefore, overall there's a flaw in relying on released questions alone, most of them are old, and they do not cover over one third of the questions. Out of the 200 questions, 25 are unscored pretest questions and 60 are equators. These consist of 30 questions take off the previous July test and 30 taken off the previous February test. These are never released, so if all you do is take released questions, you can still pass but you are missing one third of the materials.

So those are the drawbacks of practice questions. The advantages are that half the test is not getting tricked by the examiners. The only way to learn these tricks, is to take practice questions, thousands of them. If you read all the litigation surrounding the theft of questions in the early 2000s, there are discussions about how they can't stop the bar review companies from stealing them. Hence, they now have 25 pretest questions and ten forms of the test, for a total of 250 potential new questions that went through the pretest phase after every administration of the test. There's no way around it, you just have to study everything. Where the practice questions shine is in the trickery of the examiners. Nowadays they cycle the questions fairly quickly, but they use the same old tricks year to year that they have been using for decades. The only way to get good at that is practice questions. Additionally, I saw almost VERBTIM recycled questions on the actual test. Maybe there's only so many ways to test some concepts, but I was grinning when I found these, they were free points. This is a timed test, and Adaptibar teaches you to fine tune your time management, something that broke me out of the 85% doldrums into the 91%-94% nirvana that enjoyed walking into day two. You can't put a price on that, anxiety is a huge part of this competition and this service helped me sleep at night. Finally, Adaptibar has analytics that track your progress and feed you questions from areas in which you are weak. You just couldn't do this yourself without wasting a boatload of time, and lets face it, time is everything while preparing for the bar.

"MAJORITY THIN mbe was nothing like what they study!!" That's why they will fail and I will pass. Yes the test has changed somewhat, but you have to use your own logic and not depend on idiots on the internet. I was told the test was more similar to OPE 4 than any other materials. That turned out to be a bunch of hogwash. The MBE today is MUCH harder than any of the OPE Exams or Study Aids. The fact patterns are somewhat shorter than the old released questions, but they are much more difficult and trickier. If I could do things over, I would spend more time with my long outlines, but time is the issue right? There's just no time for the average examinee to prepare.

In the last year, I spent 1531 hours getting ready for this test. I used Ameribar, Studicata, Crushendo, a Kaplan bar points book, Barbri outlines and lectures, Reed Bar Review, Leansheets, and a boatload of stuff from Scribd.com and things from the internet. I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. When it comes to the MBE, all you need is the Barbri long outlines, Ameribar, and the time to take about 2200 questions. It was a long steady climb from the 50%-60% area. Each time you add another subject you back slide somewhere else. Then you finish all seven subject and slowly climb past 70% correct overall. Then you grind and add 1-2% a week until you top out. For me, that was 80%-85%. Finally, you hit around 2200-2500 questions, you make some adjustments to your process and slow down, now you are reading all the answers because you have the time to do so, and it all just clicks and you walk into test day knowing you can get over 90%. It's not magic, it's just a boatload of time. But it sure as heck helped me to deal with the stress of the whole process. Essay day was a complete disaster, to include my laptop betraying me, but I was able to hold it all together because of the work I did on the MBE.

lawgirl3521

New

Post by lawgirl3521 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:05 am

Smiddywesson wrote:
Anyone who says the MBE is nothing like the released questions is exaggerating. Opinions are meaningless, here are the facts. There are 1181 old released practice questions. The NCBE says you should not rely solely on them, because the law changes with time. My take is it doesn't change all that much, but that's just my opinion. There are also 620 released questions that postdate 2014. This is the drawback of services based on released questions, there just are not that many recent ones. Adaptibar drafts additional questions to fill in the cracks. I never did a study to identify and evaluate them on their quality. My opinion is they were good. Therefore, overall there's a flaw in relying on released questions alone, most of them are old, and they do not cover over one third of the questions. Out of the 200 questions, 25 are unscored pretest questions and 60 are equators. These consist of 30 questions take off the previous July test and 30 taken off the previous February test. These are never released, so if all you do is take released questions, you can still pass but you are missing one third of the materials.

So those are the drawbacks of practice questions. The advantages are that half the test is not getting tricked by the examiners. The only way to learn these tricks, is to take practice questions, thousands of them. If you read all the litigation surrounding the theft of questions in the early 2000s, there are discussions about how they can't stop the bar review companies from stealing them. Hence, they now have 25 pretest questions and ten forms of the test, for a total of 250 potential new questions that went through the pretest phase after every administration of the test. There's no way around it, you just have to study everything. Where the practice questions shine is in the trickery of the examiners. Nowadays they cycle the questions fairly quickly, but they use the same old tricks year to year that they have been using for decades. The only way to get good at that is practice questions. Additionally, I saw almost VERBTIM recycled questions on the actual test. Maybe there's only so many ways to test some concepts, but I was grinning when I found these, they were free points. This is a timed test, and Adaptibar teaches you to fine tune your time management, something that broke me out of the 85% doldrums into the 91%-94% nirvana that enjoyed walking into day two. You can't put a price on that, anxiety is a huge part of this competition and this service helped me sleep at night. Finally, Adaptibar has analytics that track your progress and feed you questions from areas in which you are weak. You just couldn't do this yourself without wasting a boatload of time, and lets face it, time is everything while preparing for the bar.

"MAJORITY THIN mbe was nothing like what they study!!" That's why they will fail and I will pass. Yes the test has changed somewhat, but you have to use your own logic and not depend on idiots on the internet. I was told the test was more similar to OPE 4 than any other materials. That turned out to be a bunch of hogwash. The MBE today is MUCH harder than any of the OPE Exams or Study Aids. The fact patterns are somewhat shorter than the old released questions, but they are much more difficult and trickier. If I could do things over, I would spend more time with my long outlines, but time is the issue right? There's just no time for the average examinee to prepare.

In the last year, I spent 1531 hours getting ready for this test. I used Ameribar, Studicata, Crushendo, a Kaplan bar points book, Barbri outlines and lectures, Reed Bar Review, Leansheets, and a boatload of stuff from Scribd.com and things from the internet. I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. When it comes to the MBE, all you need is the Barbri long outlines, Ameribar, and the time to take about 2200 questions. It was a long steady climb from the 50%-60% area. Each time you add another subject you back slide somewhere else. Then you finish all seven subject and slowly climb past 70% correct overall. Then you grind and add 1-2% a week until you top out. For me, that was 80%-85%. Finally, you hit around 2200-2500 questions, you make some adjustments to your process and slow down, now you are reading all the answers because you have the time to do so, and it all just clicks and you walk into test day knowing you can get over 90%. It's not magic, it's just a boatload of time. But it sure as heck helped me to deal with the stress of the whole process. Essay day was a complete disaster, to include my laptop betraying me, but I was able to hold it all together because of the work I did on the MBE.
I used Adaptibar for this session and thought the actual exam was almost exactly like the Adaptibar questions and the OPEs that I used - I know everyone's perception is different, but I have to say I am surprised at how many people didn't think the actual test was much like the previously released questions. As you already noted, there were several questions that were verbatim recycled from previous OPEs - I saw 3, personally. Not only was the fact pattern exactly the same, the answer choices were also the same and in the same order. I also used Themis and some other supplements to study.

One of the supplements I used repeatedly reinforced the notion that the examiners are *not* trying to trick you and that there is truly only one correct answer, not one "better" answer of the two remaining choices. Once I got that concept down my numbers jumped dramatically. Overall, I thought Adaptibar was awesome.

we'rebothmenofthelaw

New

Post by we'rebothmenofthelaw » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:10 am

There seems to be some confusion on this thread as to how the scale works. I'm no expert in it, and I'm not great at explaining statistics, but I sort of understand it and will offer this in case it's helpful:

The point of the scale is to adjust scores so that neither the difficulty of the particular test nor the performance of the people taking the test on that day affect any individual person's chance of passing. They use "equators" or "anchors" (questions used across multiple administrations) to determine the quality of the group that day, which they can then use to determine if the MBE as a whole was easy or hard compared to other administrations. So if the anchors reveal that this group was slightly below average, but the MBE as a whole reveals that overall raw scores were way below average, the conclusion would be that the test was hard, and we would get more points through scaling than we would have gotten if the test were deemed "easy."

The MEE is a little different because it starts with relative grading but then is scaled in conformance with the MBE. (I like the musical chair metaphor someone used earlier).

As long as the NCBE's basic assumptions (performance on equators is representative of overall performance, aggregate MBE performance is equivalent to aggregate MEE performance), the upshot is that it doesn't matter who was in the room(s) or how hard the test was as far as your chances of passing.

Hope this helps, and good luck everyone!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rhiannon17

New

Post by Rhiannon17 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:47 am

Yes

Rhiannon17

New

Post by Rhiannon17 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:49 am

Smiddywesson wrote:
Additionally, I saw almost VERBTIM recycled questions on the actual test. Maybe there's only so many ways to test some concepts, but I was grinning when I found these, they were free points.
I agree with this! I used adaptibar and I finished about 1500 questions. I know one question in particular was VERBATIM EXACTLY one of the practice questions from Adaptibar, so that was a free point. I remember thinking, "You've gotta be s****ing me!"

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:16 am

Rhiannon17 wrote:
Smiddywesson wrote:
Additionally, I saw almost VERBTIM recycled questions on the actual test. Maybe there's only so many ways to test some concepts, but I was grinning when I found these, they were free points.
I agree with this! I used adaptibar and I finished about 1500 questions. I know one question in particular was VERBATIM EXACTLY one of the practice questions from Adaptibar, so that was a free point. I remember thinking, "You've gotta be s****ing me!"
Yes. I don't want to sound like a commercial for Adaptibar, however you really can't quantify how much it helped you in terms of recognizing a similar fact pattern on the actual test. There's definitely a time savings in picking up on what's being tested, and let's face it, understanding what they are looking for is half the test.

I wrote all that stuff above with a coffee in my hand when I got out of bed. It was kinda rambling and off the point, however I thought of some other useful observations on my way to work that can legally be shared because it's all format. When I work my way through the practice questions, I usually spend the majority of time working through the fact pattern, it's probably and 80/20 split, with 20% of the time spent on the answers. In some subjects, like evidence, it's 95/5, read the facts and BOOM, there's your answer. This was completely different. They've shortened the fact patterns and moved some, no...a LOT OF of the complexity into the answers. In the actual test, I swear I spent half my time working my way through the answers. It was a very disquieting feeling and screwed with my pacing, so reader beware. I remember thinking at my second split, question 20, which should be 36 minutes in, that I was in trouble and needed to move faster to accomodate the fact that you are going to be fatigued and slow down at the end. I saw cross questions, with two subjects in the fact pattern and two in the answers! For example, answers a and b were Torts, and answers c and d were property. I have never even heard a rumor of such before, so I have to conclude these were unscored pretest questions. The next test will be the tell if the bar is moving in this direction.
Similarly, I believe I saw a plaintiff remove, and none of the answers concerned this improper removal. This tells me they presented two irregularites, and you had to spot the second one, which was being tested. I worked the questions for some indication of what it might be and then returned to the facts, but who knows where that was going, so I added that one to my list of guesses. It was not a warm and fuzzy test. In the end, I finished 30 minutes early on both tests. That is standard for me, so the take away is you are going to be slower on the first 20-30 questions until you get ahold of the new format and don't let it freak you out. If I remember correctly, it was question 30 before I showed a 6 minute lead on timing. That was quite a relief.

E&H

New

Post by E&H » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:36 am

Smiddywesson, Thanks for your insight into this monster test..very much appreciated

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

handwritingdoofus

New

Post by handwritingdoofus » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:01 pm

I thought the essays were on Tuesday but apparently they're still happening. :lol:

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:41 pm

handwritingdoofus wrote:I thought the essays were on Tuesday but apparently they're still happening. :lol:
LOL. True, maybe subliminally, I yearn for a second chance at essay day. I am emotionally scarred. Yesterday I dropped off a coworker on the way home, and took a left and headed back towards work rather than home. Today, I was ordered by The General to get her milk, tomatoes and two things of cream cheese. First time through the line, no milk or cream cheese. Back through the line for the milk, had to run back into the store to get the cream cheese. I am not myself and definitely have to stay away from heavy equipment or firearms.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:10 pm

paperplanes22 wrote:
In case you haven't been paying attention to this thread, this particular administration of the MBE was nothing like what *anyone* studied through their bar prep, not just Adaptibar. For what it's worth, the questions I felt very confident about, I learned how to answer them properly through Adaptibar, despite also taking the Kaplan course. So even if I didn't do well, I know for a fact that I would have done even worse had it not been for Adaptibar. You said earlier that you didn't use Adaptibar, so why rag on something you know nothing about? :roll:
I would like to add something to this. I have noticed that people who do less than 2,000/3,000 questions on Adaptibar never say that the real MBE was similar to the practice. On the other hand, people who do 4,000/5,000+ really see the similarities and usually pass (me included). Of course the questions are not IDENTICAL, but there are only so many fact patterns testable in the MBE so if you practice in those numbers, you will definitely see more similarities than differences. I am a slow reader and English is my second language and my first few MBE attempts were a massacre. I always had to rush, guess, and I failed every time. My last time not only I had time to go to the bathroom, but I finished with a few minutes to spare. And more than anything, I was certain I did really well on te MBE. Most questions clicked. In fact, I scored a 150+ and passed CA last July.

And no, I am not related to Adaptibar in any way (I actually hate their customer service and most of their explanations). I am just a repeat customer.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:45 pm

The Civ Pro was truly awful, but in my prior experience taking the exam in July 2017, that was also the case. Definitely emphasize pendant jurisdiction and the basis for jurisdiction generally in your preparation for July, because it is much more nuanced than I anticipated it would be on the actual exam. The property questions were definitely skewed more toward issues with closing and deeds, as well as zoning, which was not a topic that was emphasized in my prep course. I'd say that the level of deception as far as the answer choices and the intentional use of distractor facts was at the level I'd expected all along. I never really got the hang of spotting distractors, so I would not be surprised if I passed or failed either way. I do notice that where I am being drawn in by those things, that my first guess is more often than not, the correct answer. Any question where I spend time agonizing over the answer choices is more likely to be a point lost for me, but I digress. One portion of the exam itself was objectively harder than the other (afternoon for me), which may or may not help things, but it was not unnoticed by myself. Don't feel good about it either way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:05 pm

ovcovc wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:there's always shit people have never seen before on every MBE. No different this time. That civ pro jx stuff was tough. I'd definitely brush up on removal and smjx for cross/counterclaims for anyone taking in july.
yeah there were at least two basically idential questions about whether SMJ can be anchored by a counter-claim on a federal issue, after diversity failed. maybe three

there were also at least two almost-identical questions about double jeopdardy that had lesser included offense as an implied definition of - what's his name.... B*******r test, although this isn't really a precise definition

at least two zoning questions that jkept offering nonconforming use answer options

and there were quite a few very similar questions on transfers subject to mortgage, assumed or not assumed mortgages, and purchase mortgage priority over equity loans, lien jurisdiction, title jurisdiction

there were also i think two questions that were similar but one used "after acquired title" and another used "estoppel by deed" for a similar pattern, which are the same thing, why don't they just pick their terminology

i felt i mostly knew the answers to most q's, but a couple of questions I swear all answers were wrong, there was defo at least one of those

there was also a funny question in which an answer required you to pick between amendments to the Constitution only. i felt it was a test of "have you actually tead the constitution" ))

I felt this was (to me) an easier test than July, but maybe this is just that I am getting used to it now. I am middle aged and this constant flashing of timed distinct fact patterns causes a brain overload that hits me like a speed train. It's not the questions, it is how many different ones and how fast...
"there were also i think two questions that were similar but one used "after acquired title" and another used "estoppel by deed" for a similar pattern, which are the same thing, why don't they just pick their terminology"

Well then, the solution is clear. If both terms mean the same, neither can be the correct answer, however sorry to tell you, both can be the wrong answer.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm

lady_gaga wrote:What I found a bit “different” about the questions this time was that for quite a few it was not easy to immediately determine which topic was being tested. Some questions would start out civ pro sounding and end up testing torts, or there would be a long property sounding question that ended up testing evidence. I feel like one of the questions tested two separate topics in one and you had to know rules from both topics to get it right. Sigh.
Nobody has complained about these crossover MBE questions before, and if they had every tested it before, we would have heard about the Torts/Property questions. This tells me these were unscored pretest questions and we don't have to worry about them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”