Preparing for july 2019 CA bar exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anglelaw

New

Preparing for july 2019 CA bar exam

Post by Anglelaw » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:41 am

Hi all,

I am writing first time in this forum. I have always read Many of bar takers posts and learned a lot.

I am not first time taker. July exam will be my 6th attempt. Each time I failed by 60 to 50 points.

My scores always all over in essays and pts. However, I improved mbe a lot from my 1st attempt which was back in July 2016.

I m planning to start early for july exam but I need some motivation. Some advice how should I approach this time.

If anyone who have taken few times before passing this exam can share their experiences. Exactly, what they did differently which helped them to passed the test.

I don't want to give up. I am ready and I know I can do this but there is time I feel very down and starting to think negative. Since many of my classmate passed on their 3rd or even 4th attempt. Here, I always ended up with 2nd reading and failing the test.

Please give me advice what I should do differently. Thank you all in advance.

God bless you all.

JDJM6215

New

Re: Preparing for july 2019 CA bar exam

Post by JDJM6215 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

For those who just sat for the February Bar exam, I was there and it was my 6th time. For those who are thinking about taking the test in July and have not taken it yet or have delayed the retake.

Start studying now is my best advise.

I do not know if I passed or failed (we don't find out until May 17th). I am already studying and suggest that anyone who thinks they may have not succeeded, what do you have to lose starting to study now? I do know, when we do find out, that time is pretty short to get enough studying to pass the July exam.

If I could I'd post pictures of all my letters showing my final scores you would see how close I've come.

My history in a nutshell, I'm 57 on Friday, I wanted to be a lawyer my whole life. I had my children early, all are raised now, and I went to an online law school while working as a legal assistant in 2011. I graduated from Concord Law School in Feb 2015, and took the bar. First score - miserably low, failed by 227 points, second attempt, J15, 213, Third, J16, 152 but I only had two months to prepare and realized I would have to postpone until my life had less obligations. Fourth, F18 (studied for five months), 122, Fifth (waited until May to start my studying) J18, 33 points from passing after the second read average (after first read I was 6 points from passing). I started studying in Sept casually and really made a good effort at studying harder than ever, Dec, Jan and Feb are blurs right now. However, I'm waiting impatiently for May's results (sixth), but my contingency plan, I started studying on Monday for July.

This test is hard, incredibly hard, but even for someone like me. I'm a very poor test taker, even in college I only receive one A, in law school I was able to maintain a C average. My LSAT was embarrassing after studying a whole year prior to taking it and I took that twice too, only improved my score small scale, not enough to get into law school. After my first year at CLS, I had to sit for the FYLSE, yup, failed on first attempt, passed the second but just barely.

Please, do not listen to those that say, well, you just not smart enough, are maybe you wouldn't make a good lawyer. None of that is true, this test is about knowledge and if you have it you will pass. So, the failed results, WILL not make me quit trying, I will be a fabulous lawyer and will make CA proud when I am one. I've even had people say to me, you'll never get clients or "I would not hire a lawyer who took the test 7 times." BS, I read an article back in the early 80's about the test when I was thinking about going to law school then, I decided family first, then go back. Here I am. It was hard back then, it is hard now. If you want it, you invested time at law school, then do not quit.

My hope for all those here is to know that even if you start now, you may make July your last time.

Therefore, only do 10 mpq's a day, one essay a day and on the weekends, do a PT from the GA bar to start. Take time to review the answers. Write out rule statements, listen to lectures in bed, at lunch, figure out what you don't know and learn it. Memorization is a key factor. We only need to know 6000 rules by the end of July but we need to pull those rules up and type them at a brisk pace so that we have time to properly analyze (that's what the graders want). Lastly, stress and anxiety at the test is a big factor, strength and health are also factors. That is what I know.

So, do not think you can't, think that you got a chance and can prevail, CA needs good lawyers and I've met wonderful applicants who will make a difference here.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm

There are really just two components to excelling on the exam. The first is to have the knowledge base and there is a lot of law to know. But I've come to realize that the first component is given too much weight to the detriment of the second. The second is building up the skills needed to apply that knowledge base to facts in both essays and on multiple choice questions. Being strong with these skills is what separates lawyers from non-lawyers and so it makes perfect sense that this should be a very important component of a bar exam.

But there is a lot of time till July. Now would be the time to work on component 1, building the knowledge base. Spend a lot of time practicing the skills though. But first, learn the law.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:01 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:There are really just two components to excelling on the exam. The first is to have the knowledge base and there is a lot of law to know. But I've come to realize that the first component is given too much weight to the detriment of the second. The second is building up the skills needed to apply that knowledge base to facts in both essays and on multiple choice questions. Being strong with these skills is what separates lawyers from non-lawyers and so it makes perfect sense that this should be a very important component of a bar exam.

But there is a lot of time till July. Now would be the time to work on component 1, building the knowledge base. Spend a lot of time practicing the skills though. But first, learn the law.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)
That makes sense. Like making a cake, you gotta have the batter or knowledge before you can shape it by putting it in the cake pan, or learning the mechanics of writing for the bar. Migod I'm hungry ;(

Neveragain

New

Post by Neveragain » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:48 pm

jennimarcy wrote:For those who just sat for the February Bar exam, I was there and it was my 6th time. For those who are thinking about taking the test in July and have not taken it yet or have delayed the retake.

I do not know if I passed or failed (we don't find out until May 17th). I am already studying and suggest that anyone who thinks they may have not succeeded, what do you have to lose starting to study now? I do know, when we do find out, that time is pretty short to get enough studying to pass the July exam.

If I could I'd post pictures of all my letters showing my final scores you would see how close I've come.

My history in a nutshell, I'm 57 on Friday, I wanted to be a lawyer my whole life. I had my children early, all are raised now, and I went to an online law school while working as a legal assistant in 2011. I graduated from Concord Law School in Feb 2015, and took the bar. First score - miserably low, failed by 227 points, second attempt, J15, 213, Third, J16, 152 but I only had two months to prepare and realized I would have to postpone until my life had less obligations. Fourth, F18 (studied for five months), 122, Fifth (waited until May to start my studying) J18, 33 points from passing after the second read average (after first read I was 6 points from passing). I started studying in Sept casually and really made a good effort at studying harder than ever, Dec, Jan and Feb are blurs right now. However, I'm waiting impatiently for May's results (sixth), but my contingency plan, I started studying on Monday for July.

This test is hard, incredibly hard, but even for someone like me. I'm a very poor test taker, even in college I only receive one A, in law school I was able to maintain a C average. My LSAT was embarrassing after studying a whole year prior to taking it and I took that twice too, only improved my score small scale, not enough to get into law school. After my first year at CLS, I had to sit for the FYLSE, yup, failed on first attempt, passed the second but just barely.

Please, do not listen to those that say, well, you just not smart enough, are maybe you wouldn't make a good lawyer. None of that is true, this test is about knowledge and if you have it you will pass. So, the failed results, WILL not make me quit trying, I will be a fabulous lawyer and will make CA proud when I am one. I've even had people say to me, you'll never get clients or "I would not hire a lawyer who took the test 7 times." BS, I read an article back in the early 80's about the test when I was thinking about going to law school then, I decided family first, then go back. Here I am. It was hard back then, it is hard now. If you want it, you invested time at law school, then do not quit.

My hope for all those here is to know that even if you start now, you may make July your last time.

Therefore, only do 10 mpq's a day, one essay a day and on the weekends, do a PT from the GA bar to start. Take time to review the answers. Write out rule statements, listen to lectures in bed, at lunch, figure out what you don't know and learn it. Memorization is a key factor. We only need to know 6000 rules by the end of July but we need to pull those rules up and type them at a brisk pace so that we have time to properly analyze (that's what the graders want). Lastly, stress and anxiety at the test is a big factor, strength and health are also factors. That is what I know.

So, do not think you can't, think that you got a chance and can prevail, CA needs good lawyers and I've met wonderful applicants who will make a difference here.
What course or materials did you use to prepare for February 2019?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Anglelaw wrote:Hi all,

I am writing first time in this forum. I have always read Many of bar takers posts and learned a lot.

I am not first time taker. July exam will be my 6th attempt. Each time I failed by 60 to 50 points.

My scores always all over in essays and pts. However, I improved mbe a lot from my 1st attempt which was back in July 2016.

I m planning to start early for july exam but I need some motivation. Some advice how should I approach this time.

If anyone who have taken few times before passing this exam can share their experiences. Exactly, what they did differently which helped them to passed the test.

I don't want to give up. I am ready and I know I can do this but there is time I feel very down and starting to think negative. Since many of my classmate passed on their 3rd or even 4th attempt. Here, I always ended up with 2nd reading and failing the test.

God bless you all.
JoeSeparac.com is all you need.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Anglelaw wrote:Hi all,

God bless you all.
Oops, you may need a mild prescription too. It might not be your preparation. Some people can't perform due to anxiety. I've heard of people with just as many attempts as you taking half a dose for anxiety and passing with flying colors.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:24 pm

jennimarcy wrote:For those who just sat for the February Bar exam, I was there and it was my 6th time. For those who are thinking about taking the test in July and have not taken it yet or have delayed the retake.

I'm 57, it's been 30 years since my last bar, and I think I know what you've been doing wrong. First, I am a lot like you. I gave myself a year. I listened to lectures, and spent 1530 hours getting ready. I did 3800 practice MBE questions, most of them ten at a time. Pass or fail, here's what I learned. Don't spread yourself too thin.

"We only need to know 6000 rules by the end of July." You're kidding, right? There's your problem right there. You need to be intimately familar with exactly 620 rules, not 6k! Who says? Paul Albanese the Director of Testing for the NCBE says all you need to know is the law on the four online practice tests and you are good to go. I'd pull up the quote for you but I can't right now. Let me ask you, did you see any Riparian Rights on the test? No? That's because there are tons of things they don't test anymore and non of the big box companies have the balls to tell you so. Instead, they give you 24" of books and say work harder. This is a tacit assertion that it's your fault if you fail trying the impossible, to know everything rather than to earn the $4000 you paid them for, to point the way to the easiest path to pass the bar.

You are spread WAY too thin. How do I know? I'm spread way too thin and I breezed through law school, I have a very high IQ, and I sprinkle multiple choice questions on my corn flakes for breakfast. What you need is EXACTLY what I searched for in vain for 12 months, and then found just before the bar last week when it was too late. JoeSeparac.com. His methodology is based on numbers, not baloney. He boils it all down to precisely what you need to know to maximize your scores. Hopefully, I won't need his help despite the computer problems and blunders I made on the essays, I amy still pass, but if I don't, that's my go to service.

Do not give up, you are oh, so close.

JDJM6215

New

Post by JDJM6215 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Neveragain wrote:

What course or materials did you use to prepare for February 2019?
Adaptibar, supplemented with S&T, Kaplan and BarPassers (merged into bar bri) and Bar Exam Doctor, supplemented with past released essays and PT's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anglelaw

New

Post by Anglelaw » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Yes, I have already started bar prep for july 2019.
I think early prep with proper planning to do study will charm this time around.

This time I am working on quality but not in quantity.
Yes, I got idea of first leaning law than doing a lot of practice mcqs and essays.

Hopefully, this time it will help me to pass this test.

Once again thank you so much
God bless you.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:09 am

I passed the exam on my 8th try! And it took me more than a decade! And, after only about two months of job searching, I scored a full-time attorney job that pays well with good benefits.

So don't give up! There is light at the end of this tunnel!

Anglelaw

New

Post by Anglelaw » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:04 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:I passed the exam on my 8th try! And it took me more than a decade! And, after only about two months of job searching, I scored a full-time attorney job that pays well with good benefits.

Wow Congrats...

Thank you for sharing. It sure give me some hope.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:53 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:I passed the exam on my 8th try! And it took me more than a decade! And, after only about two months of job searching, I scored a full-time attorney job that pays well with good benefits.

Good to see you around still 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:34 am

Had a similar struggle here. Passed the bar on my 6th attempt, which was the Feb 2018 exam of all things. After 300+ applications, I wound up getting a job as an attorney with the state government. Been working for 3 months there and I couldn't be happier.

For those curious, this is a thread I made detailing how I was able to dig myself out of a hole and finally pass the damn exam. There was a point in time when I believed I could never escape and crippled by doubt/depression. I'm here to say things can/will get better, this exam is not as scary as it seems, and the solution is within your grasp -- just good ole fashioned smart, hard work.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=298888

JDJM6215

New

Post by JDJM6215 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Smiddywesson wrote:

I'm 57, it's been 30 years since my last bar, and I think I know what you've been doing wrong. First, I am a lot like you. I gave myself a year. I listened to lectures, and spent 1530 hours getting ready. I did 3800 practice MBE questions, most of them ten at a time. Pass or fail, here's what I learned. Don't spread yourself too thin.

"We only need to know 6000 rules by the end of July." You're kidding, right? There's your problem right there. You need to be intimately familar with exactly 620 rules, not 6k! Who says? Paul Albanese the Director of Testing for the NCBE says all you need to know is the law on the four online practice tests and you are good to go. I'd pull up the quote for you but I can't right now. Let me ask you, did you see any Riparian Rights on the test? No? That's because there are tons of things they don't test anymore and non of the big box companies have the balls to tell you so. Instead, they give you 24" of books and say work harder. This is a tacit assertion that it's your fault if you fail trying the impossible, to know everything rather than to earn the $4000 you paid them for, to point the way to the easiest path to pass the bar.

You are spread WAY too thin. How do I know? I'm spread way too thin and I breezed through law school, I have a very high IQ, and I sprinkle multiple choice questions on my corn flakes for breakfast. What you need is EXACTLY what I searched for in vain for 12 months, and then found just before the bar last week when it was too late. JoeSeparac.com. His methodology is based on numbers, not baloney. He boils it all down to precisely what you need to know to maximize your scores. Hopefully, I won't need his help despite the computer problems and blunders I made on the essays, I amy still pass, but if I don't, that's my go to service.

Do not give up, you are oh, so close.
I'm not giving up! How expensive is Separac?? I think I passed this last time, especially when I remember what I wrote on my essays, but it is up to the MPQ on whether I made it or not. Last July, my MBE scaled score was 142, Feb 2018's: 139, and in Feb 2016: 141. Adaptibar 2000 Q's for July average was 63%. However, my final testing on Adaptibar the last two weeks before the Feb. 2019 was averaging in the 80's, with overall 73% gave me some hope before heading into the exam.

The reason I put the 6000 rules quote is because Emerson (online free bar lectures) stated that figure but I've heard it other places too.

The MBE this time around had a bunch of Civ Pro Q's. I was ready for it but anxiety killed me. In July, my low score percentages on the MBE were Evidence and Criminal Q's, 13% and 28%, respectively.

I have tips for essays and PT's, which helped me this time around. Knowing the rule statements, the cases being tested and being able to put that on paper quickly - so analysis can be brief, argue some if needed and conclude quickly, that's what I think the graders want, since they speed read while grading.

I knew the law for the CP/Will/Trust (throw in JT- which was not really much of an issue), was able to articulate good rule statements, analyze and conclude. Torts was fun (race horse but still fun), and RP with L/T made me smile too. Afternoon, stress set in on the PT but answered efficiently this time with good intro, facts, argument of the rule of bail forfeiture is discretion of court and the balancing the five elements in favor of the state for forfeiture. The Evidence with small civ pro diversity issue was another race horse, so I ran out of time on the PR, and only answered it halfway. But when I did the July exam last year, I didn't finish two essays, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I almost passed on the first read, missed by 6 points. Therefore, if the graders give me credit for all my essays, even if I missed issues, I should pass the written, this time even with not finishing the PR. The MPQ? Flip a coin, LOL. I never feel good after I answer them, so I'm studying, just in case. WHY? It's my contingency plan, I'll beat it in July.

JDJM6215

New

Post by JDJM6215 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:46 pm

FYI

For those that have started studying for the July exam

Mark your calendars and purchase the new online study for the MBE's

http://www.ncbex.org/study-aids/

yespasscbx

New

Post by yespasscbx » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:30 am

jennimarcy wrote:FYI

It's just the new platform, not the new questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JDJM6215

New

Post by JDJM6215 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm

yespasscbx wrote:
jennimarcy wrote:FYI

It's just the new platform, not the new questions.
The difference in the new platform is that it includes civil procedure questions in the test. This is a bit different, the OPE tests 1-4 do not have civil procedure questions.

http://www.ncbex.org/news/new-elearning-platform

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:31 pm

never mind, already posted above :D

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:04 pm

Does anyone know if Adaptibar and Barmax MBE questions are the same licensed questions from the NCBE? Thanks.

Anglelaw

New

Post by Anglelaw » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:41 am

Blueplanet wrote:Does anyone know if Adaptibar and Barmax MBE questions are the same licensed questions from the NCBE? Thanks.
Hi there,
Last 4 times I used adaptibar and this time I am using barmax. I found barmax different than adaptibar so far I completed civil pro and found majority of the mbe new.
Did 30 plus evidence mbes I don't remember majority of them I saw. However, I used adaptibar last 4 times before so last time I was pretty much remembered some of facts pattern and answers.
That's why this time around I signed up with barmax.

Good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JDJM6215

New

Post by JDJM6215 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:32 pm

123 days to the next bar exam!

I recommend BOTH the NCBE Study Aid Platform AND Adaptibar.

I used ADAPTIBAR for the July 2018 and February 2019 CA test administration.
My July MBE SCALED score was 1422 after I averaged only 63% on Adaptibar. I completed 1984 questions.

I’m waiting for the Feb. results release on May 17th. I averaged 73% on Adaptibar, I completed 3350 questions (I hope I never know my scaled score). I am going to purchase both Adaptibar and the NCBE, if I failed on May 18th. 123 days is not a lot of time before the next bar exam to know what is needed to pass the exam. Emerson stated in his released videos that you need to know 6000 rules to pass this exam, although others here will disagree with him and me in needing to know that much, I'm a firm believer that you need to really know the law in order to analyze it well on test day. Emerson's lectures are free online for everyone and are pretty good in explaining what the bar examiners expect in CA. So while I wait, I am currently brushing up my rule statements and using the S&T kindle version for MPQs.

If you send me your e-mail, I can forward to Adaptibar so you can receive $30 discount code.

You will receive an email from me along with a $30 discount code.

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Jennimarcy - did you take the Feb exam in San Francisco? If so I think we sat next to each other! I'm from the UK. I will take a look at Adaptibar and will be in touch.

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 pm

Good luck with your prep guys! Passed the CBX and TBX both on my first attempt despite being an out-of-state student (Indiana) w/ low law school GPA. These tests are beatable so long as you study smart and put the work-in.

I really only used four materials for my Bar review: your state bar essay bank; a condensed book on the state subjects (e.g. Barbri’s mini conviser or used filled-in lecture notes); Adaptibar; Critical pass flash cards (for the MBE and federal subjects). The most crucial aspect of bar prep is thinking through both the essays and MBEs problems and then periodically reviewing the solutions.

It can be more frightening to immerse yourself early into the actual test content but I strongly believe it’s preferable to delaying and waiting until you’ve gone through lecture videos or a lot of superfluous content.

JDJM6215

New

Post by JDJM6215 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Blueplanet wrote:Jennimarcy - did you take the Feb exam in San Francisco? If so I think we sat next to each other! I'm from the UK. I will take a look at Adaptibar and will be in touch.
Yep, I was in SF. Sat next to a gentleman from England who is I think licensed in FL and the guy next to him was from Belgium Correct?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”