Employment References Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
KLKForever

New

Employment References

Post by KLKForever » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:32 am

I'm a 1L now, but I'm already thinking two years ahead because I'm non-traditional. I worked as a private contractor a lot for a couple of huge international companies like Infosys. What should I do to get references from these places? The people I worked for were often far away, and while I suppose I could find their addresses, I don't know if I could. How should I track these people down for references?

KLKForever

New

Re: Employment References

Post by KLKForever » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:29 am

Bump.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 am

You just try to track them down. Use whatever contact info you have, call up or email the company, explain what you're looking for. Call up HR, explain what you need and when you worked for them, ask them for the appropriate contact info.

If you can't actually get the information, you can detail your efforts for the bar examiners, and that will be fine (plenty of people can't get this info). But you will have to show that you tried.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 pm

nixy wrote:You just try to track them down. Use whatever contact info you have, call up or email the company, explain what you're looking for. Call up HR, explain what you need and when you worked for them, ask them for the appropriate contact info.

If you can't actually get the information, you can detail your efforts for the bar examiners, and that will be fine (plenty of people can't get this info). But you will have to show that you tried.
This. I worked for a company that eventually failed and the people in charge left the States after. It was also about a decade ago, it wasn't like I could just look the references up either. I ended up submitting the W2 from that company, and detailing the situation. I doubt the investigator did anything further with it.

The more work you do on it, the less the investigator does later - and the quicker your file gets processed.

My $.02

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:39 pm

KLKForever wrote:I'm a 1L now, but I'm already thinking two years ahead because I'm non-traditional. I worked as a private contractor a lot for a couple of huge international companies like Infosys. What should I do to get references from these places? The people I worked for were often far away, and while I suppose I could find their addresses, I don't know if I could. How should I track these people down for references?
If you're thinking for C&F, you can maybe try linked in if you know names. I worked for a hotel that changed hands like 10 times and is now owned by a trust and they hired a company for their HR and I don't think the current HR even had a record of my employment. No one apparently had a record of my employment b/c Marriott never owned the hotel, the name was just licensed.

I just called the new company, explained the situation and put down as much as I could on the C&F and it was fine. I think whatever the situation an analyst has seen it before and dealt with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”