civil procedure---involuntary dismissal Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
leeyatong

New

civil procedure---involuntary dismissal

Post by leeyatong » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:48 pm

hi, everyone, for a long time I think the involuntary dismissal and the dismissal with prejudice are the same thing. but now I feel confused about it. please look at the things below:

1. there are dismissal without prejudice even if they are involuntary dismissal.
ϖ lack of jurisdiction
ϖ improper venue
ϖ failure to join a party
2. ϖ The court dismiss the claim as a sanction for failure to appear at a deposition, and the court did not specify the dismissal would not operate as an adjudication upon the merits, then it deemed to be an adjudication upon the merits[/u][/b][/u], precludes a second action on the same claim.

The above are really confusing, the lack of jurisdiction/improper venue/failure to join the party are involuntary dismissal without prejudice, but what about the involuntary dismissal for the sanction to failure to appear at a deposition, there is no merits to be decided, why there is upon merits? so is there involuntary dismissal without prejudice? sorry... I really fee lost and don't know what I have said.
:shock:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”