criminal law-felony murder of co-felon Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
leeyatong

New

criminal law-felony murder of co-felon

Post by leeyatong » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 pm

hi, could someone help me to kick out a confusion in my head? thanks. when we do the MBE questions, there are some questions about the felony murder. there are 3 types:

1. A and B are co-felon, then during the robbery, B is killed by the police or bank teller, then is A liable for the felony murder for the death of co-felon B? some materials said yes, some said no...I feel confused.

2. A and B are co-felon, during the robbery, the victim or police is killed by A or B, so the answer is A or B is liable for the co-felon's killing of the police because of the agency rule? right?

3. A and B are co-felons, during the robbery, the victim is killed by the police, A and B is not liable for the death of the victim by the police, right?

Borris

New

Re: criminal law-felony murder of co-felon

Post by Borris » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:35 am

You are right and wrong at the same time - I think your confusion comes from the fact that there are 2 theories for felony murder used by different states:

(1) As a general rule, no liability for death of a co-felon;

(2) the "proximate cause" theory provides that if one co-felon "proximately" causes a victim's death, ALL co-felons are vicariously guilty of felony murder, even if the actual killing is committed by a third party (i.e. police officer, security guard, bystander).

(3) the "agency" theory, which basically says that co-felon's are agents of each other, and that therefore one co-felon will be guilty of felony murder if killing committed is by another co-felon (not third parties).

leeyatong

New

Post by leeyatong » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks so much

John---

New

Post by John--- » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Borris wrote:You are right and wrong at the same time - I think your confusion comes from the fact that there are 2 theories for felony murder used by different states:

(2) the "proximate cause" theory provides that if one co-felon "proximately" causes a victim's death, ALL co-felons are vicariously guilty of felony murder, even if the actual killing is committed by a third party (i.e. police officer, security guard, bystander).

(3) the "agency" theory, which basically says that co-felon's are agents of each other, and that therefore one co-felon will be guilty of felony murder if killing committed is by another co-felon (not third parties).

Hi Borris. Could you give me an example under number 2?

Borris

New

Post by Borris » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:03 pm

John--- wrote:
Borris wrote:You are right and wrong at the same time - I think your confusion comes from the fact that there are 2 theories for felony murder used by different states:

Sure - just look for fact scenarios where a death occurs during the commission of a felony, but where the death was not caused (directly) by a co-felon but rather by someone else.

For example: Armed robbery of bank by felon 1 and felon 2 (co-felons). One walks into the store points his gun at the cashier and demands money from the till. The second co-felon is keeping watch out the front. Police arrive at the scene and co-felon 1 turns and opens fire on police. Police officer returns fire but misses felon 1 and the bullet hits and kills an innocent bank customer standing nearby. Under the "proximate cause" theory, both felon 1 and felon 2 would be guilty of murder of the bank customer, even though it was actually the police officer that fired the fatal shot (effectively saying that the felony was a proximate cause of the bank customer's death). Under the "agency" theory, felon 1 and felon 2 would not be guilty of murder.

John---

New

Post by John--- » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Borris wrote:
John--- wrote:

Sure - just look for fact scenarios where a death occurs during the commission of a felony, but where the death was not caused (directly) by a co-felon but rather by someone else.

For example: Armed robbery of bank by felon 1 and felon 2 (co-felons). One walks into the store points his gun at the cashier and demands money from the till. The second co-felon is keeping watch out the front. Police arrive at the scene and co-felon 1 turns and opens fire on police. Police officer returns fire but misses felon 1 and the bullet hits and kills an innocent bank customer standing nearby. Under the "proximate cause" theory, both felon 1 and felon 2 would be guilty of murder of the bank customer, even though it was actually the police officer that fired the fatal shot (effectively saying that the felony was a proximate cause of the bank customer's death). Under the "agency" theory, felon 1 and felon 2 would not be guilty of murder.

Awesome. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”