nonaba ny bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dropout

New

nonaba ny bar

Post by dropout » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 pm

I have read that graduates from nonaba schools can sit for the ny bar if they practice for 5 years. Does this have to be full-time? Could a volunteer role count as practicing?

dropout

New

Re: nonaba ny bar

Post by dropout » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:25 pm

I called the NY state bar and they said it doesn't count

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Re: nonaba ny bar

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:16 pm

dropout wrote:I have read that graduates from nonaba schools can sit for the ny bar if they practice for 5 years. Does this have to be full-time? Could a volunteer role count as practicing?
I think that this part of the rule pertains to your question:

3. Unapproved Law School Study - Graduation from an unapproved law school in the United States with a Juris Doctor degree and practice in a jurisdiction where the applicant has been admitted for 5 of the 7 years immediately preceding application to sit for the New York bar examination. (Section 520.5 of the Rules of the Court of Appeals)

It sounds to me like you have to have been admitted and practiced, presumably full time, as a lawyer. Just to forewarn you, though, I have a friend from MA that met the requirements above but her school was fairly new and still non-aba approved after 6 years and she is still waiting for them to tell her she is eligible.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”