NCBE C&F--what does it entail? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
msesquire

New

NCBE C&F--what does it entail?

Post by msesquire » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:46 pm

I have practiced for over a decade in my jurisdiction but plan on waiving into another jurisdiction. I left my last employer after over 5 years, technically on a good note. I resigned because I was going to pursue another graduate degree full time . However, during my last year, I also was not chosen for a promotion over a male colleague with less experience, and I raised a fuss about it, accusing my supervisor of some gender bias (in writing). We had a big sit down, and even though things were ok after that, our relationship was never quite the same. He is generally fun loving and people in our law department loved him, but like I said, things were not good with us after that. All of my reviews there every year have been good and positive.

I'm worried about the NCBE Character and Fitness investigation and what he might say since I will be listing him as my supervisor. We have not been in touch at all since my last day at the office. Do you know how in depth they go? Has anything like this happened to any of you--leaving an employer with some bad blood and still having to report working there?

b290

Bronze

Re: NCBE C&F--what does it entail?

Post by b290 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 pm

msesquire wrote:I have practiced for over a decade in my jurisdiction but plan on waiving into another jurisdiction. I left my last employer after over 5 years, technically on a good note. I resigned because I was going to pursue another graduate degree full time . However, during my last year, I also was not chosen for a promotion over a male colleague with less experience, and I raised a fuss about it, accusing my supervisor of some gender bias (in writing). We had a big sit down, and even though things were ok after that, our relationship was never quite the same. He is generally fun loving and people in our law department loved him, but like I said, things were not good with us after that. All of my reviews there every year have been good and positive.

I'm worried about the NCBE Character and Fitness investigation and what he might say since I will be listing him as my supervisor. We have not been in touch at all since my last day at the office. Do you know how in depth they go? Has anything like this happened to any of you--leaving an employer with some bad blood and still having to report working there?

As for how deep NCBE goes into your answers - really deep (technically), but it depends on (a) the answer to the question, and (b) your analyst. when did you complete your application?

I'm not sure what you said in your answers, but Question 45 is there in case you feel you need to explain anything further. If you want to be safe, you can amend your application.

In summary, it sounds like (at most) an amendment would take care of it - even though that's almost overboard. Unless this supervisor accuses you of some serious stuff (i.e. basically criminal conduct), it's almost not worth worrying about.

My $.02

Empedocles1

New

Post by Empedocles1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm in a non-NCBE state, but I am curious how the NCBE, or any bar examining process works?

I mean, some of the stuff seems like it would be impossible to find out if we didn't disclose. Not that it is acceptable to hide stuff, but do we ever have any idea how they research stuff?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:19 am

Empedocles1 wrote:I'm in a non-NCBE state, but I am curious how the NCBE, or any bar examining process works?

I mean, some of the stuff seems like it would be impossible to find out if we didn't disclose. Not that it is acceptable to hide stuff, but do we ever have any idea how they research stuff?
I remember reading somewhere (I think PLS 2.0) that Character & Fitness process is just "an exercise on telling on yourself". One can play that game (hide and seek) and hope that person won't be caught. However, after going to law school, possibly racking up student loan debt, and even passing the bar exam, it would be crazy to throw that away because one couldn't/didn't want to find some documents.

I remember at my C&F interview (for some reason), there was the impression that I did not disclose. It was incorrect, the NCBE didn't send my amendments my to state. If I didn't do the background work towards disclosure, that mistaken impression would've sunk my application. It does happen.

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”