Texas Bar July 2019 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
DepressedWorkerBee

New

Texas Bar July 2019

Post by DepressedWorkerBee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm

I know it’s super early - but would appreciate any advice/insight anyone can offer!

Out-of-state law student taking the Texas Bar Exam in July 2019.

I’ve got my bar prep purchased (using Themis and Critical Pass Flashcards). I’ve got a really lazy/easy last semester and was trying to think of anything I can do to get a “head start” on prepping.

I was thinking since the Rules of Evidence/Procedure are slightly (or heavily - not really sure) different from what I learned - that maybe I’d spend my free time this semester maybe just going through the Themis reviews for those two subjects so when I actually start prepping this summer that I’m somewhat familiar with the differences.

Any other ideas/suggestions/funny jokes to keep my sanity would be appreciated!

FionaLamoreaux

New

Re: Texas Bar July 2019

Post by FionaLamoreaux » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:33 am

Thanx for sharing info!

DepressedWorkerBee

New

Post by DepressedWorkerBee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:59 pm

Not sure if I shared any info but happy to help!!

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:52 am

I’m also doing the Texas July 2019 exam. A little nervous since I’m a foreign trained lawyer but we’ll see. Any recommendations for MBE practice books? I’d like to get started with practice questions when I hopefully get time.

DeMihiNonCuratLex

New

Post by DeMihiNonCuratLex » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Question about the application - in the part about legal employment it asks if you were substantially engaged in the practice of law. How should I answer this? In my summer positions I did research, wrote memos, etc., but of course it was all under attorney supervision and I never really spoke to any clients. Is this a question to try to see if you were engaged in the unauthorized practice of law, or what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DepressedWorkerBee

New

Post by DepressedWorkerBee » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:20 am

Aussie - for the MBE, I'm banking on Themis giving me all I need to know/learn since they have so many real practice questions. I also ordered the Critical Pass Flashcards since they're so highly recommended. As for practice books - I haven't ordered any, so I can't really give any insight there.

CuratLex - I had the same question when I was filling out my application. I ended up putting that none of my internships were "substantially engaged in the practice of law." Everything I did was for an attorney (memos, research, etc.). Since I never actually gave clients direct legal advice (God help them if I had) nor actually represented any clients - I wouldn't consider them "engaged in the practice of law."

els18

New

Post by els18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 am

DeMihiNonCuratLex wrote:Question about the application - in the part about legal employment it asks if you were substantially engaged in the practice of law. How should I answer this? In my summer positions I did research, wrote memos, etc., but of course it was all under attorney supervision and I never really spoke to any clients. Is this a question to try to see if you were engaged in the unauthorized practice of law, or what?
I included all of my summer jobs from law school as "substantially engaged in the practice of law". All of my legal employers were contacted as references, but all of my other employers were not contacted. Based on talking to my friends, your non-legal employers are only contacted if there are questions or something they want to look into in your application.

cantdecide

New

Post by cantdecide » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:44 pm

DepressedWorkerBee wrote:I know it’s super early - but would appreciate any advice/insight anyone can offer!

Out-of-state law student taking the Texas Bar Exam in July 2019.

I’ve got my bar prep purchased (using Themis and Critical Pass Flashcards). I’ve got a really lazy/easy last semester and was trying to think of anything I can do to get a “head start” on prepping.

I was thinking since the Rules of Evidence/Procedure are slightly (or heavily - not really sure) different from what I learned - that maybe I’d spend my free time this semester maybe just going through the Themis reviews for those two subjects so when I actually start prepping this summer that I’m somewhat familiar with the differences.

Any other ideas/suggestions/funny jokes to keep my sanity would be appreciated!
The P/E portion of the TX Bar was similar to what I learned at an in-state law school, but it's super formulaic. They test on pretty much the exact same things, in the same order, every July. Going through the released P/Es and using bar prep materials/the sample answers (which are hit or miss) to craft a short answer about 2 weeks before the test date was what I did, and I felt great leaving that portion of the test (as did almost everyone else).

I found the MBE to be the toughest part for me since I wasn't used to substantive law MC exams--it was the first time I felt really uncomfortable taking a standardized test. Property was particularly hard, as there's a ton of material that we didn't even touch on 1L, so that could be a good place to start. I found keeping TX property and MBE property separate in my head difficult as well.

I really liked Emanuel's Strategy & Tactics for the MBE, it has a ton of practice questions and a quick summary of the heavily tested points for each area of the MBE. I used it towards the end of my studying as an MBE refresher, and I liked it better than the materials my course provided. I would also recommend reading up on the structure of the exam and how it's graded, I didn't really 'get it' until early July and I wish I had understood it better from the outset and had had that understanding to inform my approach to studying from the get go.

DepressedWorkerBee

New

Post by DepressedWorkerBee » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:08 pm

I'm sure I'll find out once I start studying - but how was the Property section different from what you learned in 1L? My professor basically focused 75% of the class on diagramming property deeds......not sure how helpful that's going to be on the Bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

els18

New

Post by els18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:41 am

Hello! I passed the Texas Bar Exam in July 2019 and am looking to sell my Barbri materials. I have all of the books and the study keys and whatnot and would be happy to sell them to someone who doesn't want to pay full price and doesn't need the videos. PM me on here and we can work something out. Best of luck to everybody studying! It's REALLY not that bad

Electricella

New

Post by Electricella » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:23 pm

els18 wrote:Hello! I passed the Texas Bar Exam in July 2019 and am looking to sell my Barbri materials. I have all of the books and the study keys and whatnot and would be happy to sell them to someone who doesn't want to pay full price and doesn't need the videos. PM me on here and we can work something out. Best of luck to everybody studying! It's REALLY not that bad
July 2018 maybe?;)

Lasttimetakingthebar

New

Post by Lasttimetakingthebar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:21 pm

Repeat taker here. I passed the writing portion of the bar exam but failed the MBE. My best advice is to purchase BARBRI/Themis and hammer the past essays exams in your study material. I use Adaptibar (which has helped immensely and 10 of those questions were exactly verbatim on the bar exam! I also supplement Emmanuel’s and Finz. Finally, don’t neglect the first day your going to need the points. Good luck

els18

New

Post by els18 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Electricella wrote:
els18 wrote:Hello! I passed the Texas Bar Exam in July 2019 and am looking to sell my Barbri materials. I have all of the books and the study keys and whatnot and would be happy to sell them to someone who doesn't want to pay full price and doesn't need the videos. PM me on here and we can work something out. Best of luck to everybody studying! It's REALLY not that bad
July 2018 maybe?;)
Lol.. Yes. I passed the July 2018 exam and thankfully do not have to take the 2019 exam.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

small_changes

New

Post by small_changes » Fri May 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Hello all,

In case anyone is interested, I have brand new set of Themis bar prep books for this July 2019 bar exam for sale. All books are brand new and have no marks, writings, or highlights. Selling for $700. Please feel free to contact me should have you have questions.

Thank you!

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

Did everyone get the notification about the Texas essays? They’re now splitting the topics that have two questions so one will be in the morning and one afternoon. Not sure why and does it even really matter??

Crtxlaw

New

Post by Crtxlaw » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi everyone I just wanted to pop in here. I used to lurk on this site when I was studying for the July 2016 bar exam. I just wanted to say that y'all have got this! A few notes from my time studying for that bar. And tbh I am studying for the California bar right now and am having flashbacks to my most stressful days studying for the TX bar. Also as a note I did pass the July 2016 Tx bar.

Study. The. Essays. Seriously. Go over past essays. And then go over them again. It helps you learn the material and I cannot stress enough how much it helps you learn the material. I didn't do this until almost too late before the exam and I wish I had done it all of July at the very least. You don't necessarily need to write out the essays, but at least make sure you can outline in the specified time that the prep companies tell you. I think it was 10 or 15 minutes. Just outline and then see if you spotted the issue(s) by reading the sample answer. Seriously thought doing past essays is a blessing. I knew (almost) every topic tested because I had seen them on the essays. I remember my last essay was oil and gas and it was almost word for word a repeat fact pattern from a previous essay. So again, practice the essays.

For the essays as well, I did not study bankruptcy or that other subject they rarely test on the exam. And guess what? Bankruptcy was one of the family law essays on my test. I saw people get up and leave 30 minutes early because they wouldn't even attempt doing it. DONT DO THAT. I took Barbri and they did a good job of emphasizing that if you don't know the law, make it up, pick a side, and analyze and conclude. I did that for the bankruptcy essay and I was actually generally on track with the law and I got the right answer. My point is that if you see one of the essays and you don't know anything about it, just take a breath, curse the bar examiners, and go.

For the MBE I don't know if I can be a ton of help, but I will say that I walked out of the MBE day legit thinking I failed it. It was the 2nd year they had civil procedure on the MBE and almost NOTHING barbri taught us was on the MBE for civil procedure. So just know that you can feel like you failed it but you might end up doing okay. But don't stop doing practice questions! It will keep you fresh on the MBE topics. I was consistently getting bad percentages near the bar exam date but I kept doing it and reading why I was getting stuff wrong and I know that helped me on the test.

You guys can do this! Also take care of your damn selves. If you have any questions feel free to pm me or reply to this.

TL;DR - Practice outlining the past essays, do MBE practice questions and read the answers

Also to answer the question about splitting the essay topics into a morning question and an afternoon question: the reason they are probably doing it is because when I took it if you saw the property, family law, and trusts/guardianship essays in the morning then you know they wouldn't be in the afternoon so you could quickly review the other topics at lunch. I would venture a guess that they are splitting the topics between morning and afternoon to curtail that, but I think it is a reasonable guess that if you see a property topic on a morning essay then that issue is unlikely to pop up on an afternoon essay.

Txgirl94

New

Post by Txgirl94 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 am

Crtxlaw wrote:Hi everyone I just wanted to pop in here. I used to lurk on this site when I was studying for the July 2016 bar exam. I just wanted to say that y'all have got this! A few notes from my time studying for that bar. And tbh I am studying for the California bar right now and am having flashbacks to my most stressful days studying for the TX bar. Also as a note I did pass the July 2016 Tx bar.

Study. The. Essays. Seriously. Go over past essays. And then go over them again. It helps you learn the material and I cannot stress enough how much it helps you learn the material. I didn't do this until almost too late before the exam and I wish I had done it all of July at the very least. You don't necessarily need to write out the essays, but at least make sure you can outline in the specified time that the prep companies tell you. I think it was 10 or 15 minutes. Just outline and then see if you spotted the issue(s) by reading the sample answer. Seriously thought doing past essays is a blessing. I knew (almost) every topic tested because I had seen them on the essays. I remember my last essay was oil and gas and it was almost word for word a repeat fact pattern from a previous essay. So again, practice the essays.

For the essays as well, I did not study bankruptcy or that other subject they rarely test on the exam. And guess what? Bankruptcy was one of the family law essays on my test. I saw people get up and leave 30 minutes early because they wouldn't even attempt doing it. DONT DO THAT. I took Barbri and they did a good job of emphasizing that if you don't know the law, make it up, pick a side, and analyze and conclude. I did that for the bankruptcy essay and I was actually generally on track with the law and I got the right answer. My point is that if you see one of the essays and you don't know anything about it, just take a breath, curse the bar examiners, and go.

For the MBE I don't know if I can be a ton of help, but I will say that I walked out of the MBE day legit thinking I failed it. It was the 2nd year they had civil procedure on the MBE and almost NOTHING barbri taught us was on the MBE for civil procedure. So just know that you can feel like you failed it but you might end up doing okay. But don't stop doing practice questions! It will keep you fresh on the MBE topics. I was consistently getting bad percentages near the bar exam date but I kept doing it and reading why I was getting stuff wrong and I know that helped me on the test.

You guys can do this! Also take care of your damn selves. If you have any questions feel free to pm me or reply to this.

TL;DR - Practice outlining the past essays, do MBE practice questions and read the answers

Also to answer the question about splitting the essay topics into a morning question and an afternoon question: the reason they are probably doing it is because when I took it if you saw the property, family law, and trusts/guardianship essays in the morning then you know they wouldn't be in the afternoon so you could quickly review the other topics at lunch. I would venture a guess that they are splitting the topics between morning and afternoon to curtail that, but I think it is a reasonable guess that if you see a property topic on a morning essay then that issue is unlikely to pop up on an afternoon essay.
Thank you so much for this! At this point in your studies how confident were you? Did you feel like you knew the law at all? Because I really don't... I feel like I know nothing. I spent all last month trying to familiarize myself with the marital but I don't really know anything.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crtxlaw

New

Post by Crtxlaw » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Txgirl94 wrote:
Crtxlaw wrote:Hi everyone I just wanted to pop in here. I used to lurk on this site when I was studying for the July 2016 bar exam. I just wanted to say that y'all have got this! A few notes from my time studying for that bar. And tbh I am studying for the California bar right now and am having flashbacks to my most stressful days studying for the TX bar. Also as a note I did pass the July 2016 Tx bar.

Thank you so much for this! At this point in your studies how confident were you? Did you feel like you knew the law at all? Because I really don't... I feel like I know nothing. I spent all last month trying to familiarize myself with the marital but I don't really know anything.

Don’t worry I legitimately felt like I didn’t know a single thing. I sat there wondering wtf I had done in June because it felt like nothing stuck. But this is why it’s important to start doing the essays! Once you start doing the essays you will notice patterns, and by forcing yourself to outline as much as you can you will force yourself to learn it. I didn’t take family law, criminal procedure, or wills and trusts in law school (and a few others that would have helped a lot) so I was in a similar situation. But I swear I don’t think I felt at all comfortable with anything until about a week before. So just keep pushing. This is the time to push and work harder. You can do this!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Crtxlaw wrote:

Don’t worry I legitimately felt like I didn’t know a single thing. I sat there wondering wtf I had done in June because it felt like nothing stuck. But this is why it’s important to start doing the essays! Once you start doing the essays you will notice patterns, and by forcing yourself to outline as much as you can you will force yourself to learn it. I didn’t take family law, criminal procedure, or wills and trusts in law school (and a few others that would have helped a lot) so I was in a similar situation. But I swear I don’t think I felt at all comfortable with anything until about a week before. So just keep pushing. This is the time to push and work harder. You can do this!

Thank you for this, I have been having the feeling that I got nothing done in June and that I know nothing at all. I am behind as far as the Themis track goes but have ramped up my studies lately. The essays are by far what I am most nervous about, I am not good at memorization. Never have been unfortunately, so I am trying to get into flashcards and do those to help learn/memorize the rules better. Did you do anything outside of just practice essays to learn the rules? I don't feel as horrible about the MBE (at least the topics I have covered so far) but this whole process is horrid. On one hand I cant wait to be done with the exam and on the other I would like a few more months to study.

Txgirl94

New

Post by Txgirl94 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:11 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
Crtxlaw wrote:

Thank you for this, I have been having the feeling that I got nothing done in June and that I know nothing at all. I am behind as far as the Themis track goes but have ramped up my studies lately. The essays are by far what I am most nervous about, I am not good at memorization. Never have been unfortunately, so I am trying to get into flashcards and do those to help learn/memorize the rules better. Did you do anything outside of just practice essays to learn the rules? I don't feel as horrible about the MBE (at least the topics I have covered so far) but this whole process is horrid. On one hand I cant wait to be done with the exam and on the other I would like a few more months to study.
If you don't mind me asking, how many mbe questions have you completed? I've done around 800 and I have yet to do the midterm mbe exam assigned by Kaplan which was due last Friday. I plan on taking it the 4th of July. I'm behind on my course when it comes to turning in essays/mpts and mbe practice questions. But I'm ahead with the topics covered. My plan is to be through covering all the topics by Friday and from then on just hit practice questions hard af during the day and go over my quick sheets and p&es during the evening for memorization purposes.

Crtxlaw

New

Post by Crtxlaw » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:27 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
Crtxlaw wrote:

Happy to help in any way I can. Ramping up your studies is good just keep that up! When I did the essays I would try to outline it, then read the model answer, and then look at the rule/law on my outline and made SURE I understood what the essay was asking for and that I knew how to spot the issue but also what the law was. So essentially I would be getting double the review for whatever the essay was asking because I would read the answer and then double check it with my outline and I would keep repeating/reviewing it to myself until I understood it. Trust me I know this process sucks but keep your head up. You’re almost there!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Does anyone else read through a sample answer for commercial paper, think you understand but then read the next practice essay and have no clue what the answer is?? I seriously detest this subject. Really hoping for an Article 2 question instead. Lol.

cutieluby

New

Post by cutieluby » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:27 pm

has anyone received an admission ticket?

I got an message June 28th that stated they were aiming to start issuing them on July 1st. (I had an issue with my NBE number that I had to fix, since I havent received by admission ticket yet, I was wondering if it was just me)

cutieluby

New

Post by cutieluby » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:38 pm

AussieAustin wrote:Does anyone else read through a sample answer for commercial paper, think you understand but then read the next practice essay and have no clue what the answer is?? I seriously detest this subject. Really hoping for an Article 2 question instead. Lol.
Definitely in the same boat...I am just hoping to memorize some of the practice essay examples to treat as a canned answer; however, since there was an Art. 2 question in February, I have a feeling it will be (1) secured transaction and (1) commercial paper question.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 am

cutieluby wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:Does anyone else read through a sample answer for commercial paper, think you understand but then read the next practice essay and have no clue what the answer is?? I seriously detest this subject. Really hoping for an Article 2 question instead. Lol.
Definitely in the same boat...I am just hoping to memorize some of the practice essay examples to treat as a canned answer; however, since there was an Art. 2 question in February, I have a feeling it will be (1) secured transaction and (1) commercial paper question.
I know, I've been looking through the past exams and noticed the July 2018 commercial paper exam was an easy one about an agent signing. I wanted to scream, since now it's highly unlikely they'll test the same thing again so quickly. Thankfully I have a spouse who did the Texas exam a few years ago and also struggled with commercial paper (but knows more than me) so we were able to talk it through last night. Now at least I think I know what happens with forgeries and alterations. Makes it hard when you come from a country that hasn't used checks/cheques for years! I've never even owned a check book and I'm in my 40s. Lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”