Alternative MBE Study Options? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lexingtonhr

New

Alternative MBE Study Options?

Post by lexingtonhr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Hey guys, other than AdaptiBar, Critical Flash cards and Strategies and Tactics, what other form of MBE practice is helpful for you? I'm taking the Ca bar & the MBE's in July were atrocious. I feel like I need more challenging questions. Which has been helpful for you?

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Re: Alternative MBE Study Options?

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:05 pm

lexingtonhr wrote:Hey guys, other than AdaptiBar, Critical Flash cards and Strategies and Tactics, what other form of MBE practice is helpful for you? I'm taking the Ca bar & the MBE's in July were atrocious. I feel like I need more challenging questions. Which has been helpful for you?
All of the above that you mentioned use NCBE questions. If you want hard questions then I suggest Barbri. I did Barbri and read their big book. I got a 168 on this past July’s MBE

lexingtonhr

New

Post by lexingtonhr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
lexingtonhr wrote:Hey guys, other than AdaptiBar, Critical Flash cards and Strategies and Tactics, what other form of MBE practice is helpful for you? I'm taking the Ca bar & the MBE's in July were atrocious. I feel like I need more challenging questions. Which has been helpful for you?
All of the above that you mentioned use NCBE questions. If you want hard questions then I suggest Barbri. I did Barbri and read their big book. I got a 168 on this past July’s MBE

Oh, nice! Thank you!

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm

People also tend to like Kaplan's MBE simulated questions. The problem with simulated questions like these or Barbri is that they don't sound similar (you can tell it's different people writing them). The good thing is that they test a lot of rules tested in the MBE. Some people only prepare on simulated questions and they pass, some fail. Some people only prepare with NCBE questions. Some pass and some fail. It doesn't matter what you use, as long as you do as many questions as possible and understand your mistakes (and average at least 70%).

They both have their own advantages and ideally you should use a bit of both. I would still tend to use more the simulated ones because they also train you to the style of questions that you will see, not just the substantive law.

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 am

To add to Nightcrawler...do not fight the questions. Even if they seem nitpicky or far-fetched. In the beginning when I was getting my ass kicked with the Barbri questions (~50% correct) I would always say to myself that the questions are BS; the MBE will never go this deep or test this nuance...guess what? they did

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:To add to Nightcrawler...do not fight the questions. Even if they seem nitpicky or far-fetched. In the beginning when I was getting my ass kicked with the Barbri questions (~50% correct) I would always say to myself that the questions are BS; the MBE will never go this deep or test this nuance...guess what? they did
Agree. Not only that, they would go even deeper and, even with a really good prep, you will have many WTF moments during the MBE.

Still remember a few tries ago I thought I prepared fairly well (lol) and the whole MBE apart from maybe 20 questions was a huge WTF moment. Terrible.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:31 pm

I personally used Critical Pass and Strategies & Tactics.
Critical Pass is very good - it's like the Convisor in flash card form (referral link for $$ off - https://criticalpass.refr.cc/7LQ8X4Z). I would use it in conjunction with practice MBE questions from Barbri. Strategies & Tactics has good tips as well as practice questions. I have also heard raving reviews about AdaptiBar.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Everyone should work through the most recently released MBE questions (the NCBE calls this the MBE Study Guide). I think Adaptibar probably includes these, but if not, it's a worthy purchase from the NCBE website.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:38 am

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:Everyone should work through the most recently released MBE questions (the NCBE calls this the MBE Study Guide). I think Adaptibar probably includes these, but if not, it's a worthy purchase from the NCBE website.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)
Adaptibar includes all four Online Practice Exams and both Study Aids. BarMax, which is widely credited for being $100 cheaper, is difficult to pin down. Their cheapest price does not contain these materials. You can add OPE 1 and 2 for an additional charge of $50 each, matching the Adaptibar price, however you are still missing the most important materials. Adaptibar seems more complete at a cheaper price. You don't get lifetime access, but having just taken it, it seems like a much better service.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi All,

I highly recommend critical pass flashcards. I think they are the most important bar exam study tool. A no brainer!

[Advertisement and external link redacted]
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact advertisements and external links.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”