Retaking NY Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BarpreppinNY

New

Retaking NY

Post by BarpreppinNY » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new here. I sat for the bar in July/took Themis. I got a 257/9 points shy of the pass score in NY. I am finding this immensely painful to do again and dont know what I should do precisely because I was so close to passing and I'm not sure what I should maybe spend extra time on this time around. I have all the lecture handouts filled out from the summer so I've been re-listening at accelerated speed and my assessments suggest that I'm doing fine listening to lectures in that manner. So, any tips or suggestions on how to not drive myself insane and up my score would be incredibly greatly appreciated.

...Seriously, this is painful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: Retaking NY

Post by L_William_W » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Which section was your weakest? If it was the MPT, I can't help you. If it was the essays or MBE, I can help you.

Don't bother listening to the lectures. Instead, use your old materials and make outlines based on those materials. If you were that close to passing then you can do it. Enjoy Christmas. Between the 26th and D-Day, you're going to have to bring it and give it your all.

I was nearly academically dismissed from law school. I took the NY bar three times- February 2014, July 2014, and July 2017. I got sick and didn't finish during my first attempt. During my second attempt, my MBE was a pathetic 118.6. During my third attempt, my MBE was a 149.3 (my overall score was a 278- I fucked up on the two MPTs). If I can pass, any law school graduate in American can pass.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Since you were so close, you should be spending a lot of time practicing the application of the law rather than pouring over outlines and lectures. As you work through MBE questions, note the rule of law that the question was testing for any question you get wrong. And look through as many old UBE essays as you can, paying close attention both to how the NCBE recommends writing the answer in their model answers as well as how previous candidates have written answers (released on the NY Bar website).

Being so close, you are very likely to pass the exam on your next attempt if you get better at applying all the law you learned last time!

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

BarpreppinNY

New

Post by BarpreppinNY » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:21 pm

L_William_W wrote:Which section was your weakest? If it was the MPT, I can't help you. If it was the essays or MBE, I can help you.

Don't bother listening to the lectures. Instead, use your old materials and make outlines based on those materials. If you were that close to passing then you can do it. Enjoy Christmas. Between the 26th and D-Day, you're going to have to bring it and give it your all.

I was nearly academically dismissed from law school. I took the NY bar three times- February 2014, July 2014, and July 2017. I got sick and didn't finish during my first attempt. During my second attempt, my MBE was a pathetic 118.6. During my third attempt, my MBE was a 149.3 (my overall score was a 278- I fucked up on the two MPTs). If I can pass, any law school graduate in American can pass.

It was really the mpts. I have room to improve on the MBE but I my lowest essay score was a 52 and my first mpt was a 55, so it was more like I got slammed by getting a 30 on my second MPT that killed me.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:13 am

Stop with the lectures. Do practice essay/PT questions at least every other day. Do 25-50 MBE questions per day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalese21

New

Post by legalese21 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:50 am

First-time UBE taker here and was wondering how difficult is to score above a 140 on the MEE/MPT portion of the exam?

notathrowaway2019

New

Post by notathrowaway2019 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 pm

You just need to do the work. Just pick a program and do the assignments.

BarpreppinNY

New

Post by BarpreppinNY » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:03 am

notathrowaway2019 wrote:You just need to do the work. Just pick a program and do the assignments.
...yeah, did that for July but...thank you.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:56 am

BarpreppinNY wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm new here. I sat for the bar in July/took Themis. I got a 257/9 points shy of the pass score in NY. I am finding this immensely painful to do again and dont know what I should do precisely because I was so close to passing and I'm not sure what I should maybe spend extra time on this time around. I have all the lecture handouts filled out from the summer so I've been re-listening at accelerated speed and my assessments suggest that I'm doing fine listening to lectures in that manner. So, any tips or suggestions on how to not drive myself insane and up my score would be incredibly greatly appreciated.

...Seriously, this is painful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know from personal experience (since my strategy was the 150 MBE). But from those I knew (who passed/did well on the MEE) they practiced on a lot of MEEs. Some basically studied the MEE answers (on NY's page) for words and structure and then wrote. Others wrote and compared, then wrote again.

http://www.nybarexam.org/examquestions/ ... stions.htm

Good luck!

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”