C&F Employment History Question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
qkqhdi02

New

C&F Employment History Question

Post by qkqhdi02 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:10 pm

I'm thinking a bit ahead since i'm planning to apply to law school next year, but just wanted to make sure every job/internship I list on my app will not affect me negatively later.

So, although I graduated from a US college, all of my internships during that time (three non-legal) have been from abroad in my home country. The thing is, the supervisors from each don't speak any English (or maybe extremely limited). I'm sure they remember me so i'm not worried about that but I was wondering how the C&F committee contacts them for verification? I think if they receive a random email or a call asking in Enlgish whether they remember me working there, they'll either just hang up or ignore. I mean wouldn't you just hang up if you receive a call from an unknown number in a completely different language? Any advice here?

Also, after graduation, I came back to my home country to start my own small business with my brother. How does the C&F committee verify self-employment in a foreign country?

I'm going to mention all of my internships and my business on my application since they represent who I am and are with no doubt accurate information but what if the C&F committee can't verify them later due to the aforementioned circumstances?

albanach

Gold

Re: C&F Employment History Question

Post by albanach » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 am

So, your identify the appropriate person at each location. You calland inform them that this will be coming and that it's important they reply. The request will probably arrive by email.

Then you identify that person as the contact for the board of bar examiners. Now no one is getting a surprise random email in a foreign language.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:33 am

As far as I remember, my people were contacted via snail mail. I'm thinking they might choose to do that for an overseas employer who may not be comfortable with English. But agree with the other poster that when the time is right you should let them know that a call or email or letter will be coming.

RecruiterMan

New

Post by RecruiterMan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:37 am

I had a number of jobs in my home country before law school. For one of them, I couldn't provide them with info for my then-supervisor, since it'd been a while. If my experience is any guide, they will simply ask you to provide them with contact info for someone who can verify what you did during that time; this person can be a friend. They will contact this person via email, as they contact everyone via email, not telephone. Don't worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”