BarBri Attorney's course after 18 years in practice? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Cans25

New

BarBri Attorney's course after 18 years in practice?

Post by Cans25 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi All,

I've been practicing law for 18 years in MA and NH. I moved to Tennessee a couple years ago and have decided it's time to take the bar exam. Looking to sit for the July exam next year.

I am trying to decide between the BarBri regular course or the BarBri attorney's course. I don't really have time to take the full regular course but I am worried the attorney's course will fall short because the last bar exam I took (and passed) was in 2001. I'm very rusty on a couple of the subjects I don't use in my practice.

Any advice? Any attorneys out there taking the bar exam so many years after first passing a bar have on opinion or experience?

Thank you!

rossemo

New

Re: BarBri Attorney's course after 18 years in practice?

Post by rossemo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi Cans25,

We moved to Phoenix from Houston earlier this year, and so I'm taking the UBE in Arizona in February, 12 years after my previous bar exam (Louisiana, 2006). My study partner took his last one I think in 2000 in South Carolina, so you definitely aren't alone out there.

Both of us took BarBri in person for our prior exams, but we are both taking Themis (themisbar.com) this time around based on the recommendations of many colleagues and friends who have taken the UBE in recent years. My experience with BarBri was fine and I passed (and got a $150 refund from a subsequent class action against them), but this was before they had much in the way of online resources, so my thoughts on BarBri today aren't really useful. However, I will say I have found the Themis online lectures and progress tools to be much more engaging and easy to follow than BarBri was, and I feel like I'm getting more out of Themis than I did with BarBri. That being said, I understand the materials between the two are very similar, which means either one will likely frustrate the hell out of you for barely touching the one issue you feel you need to understand better. I think their cost is comparable as well. Sorry if I'm complicating your decision. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Good luck!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Your concerns are definitely valid but even if you wanted to get through everything in the regular course you might not have the time if you're trying to balance this with working full-time. I think the attorney course doesn't skimp on the essential material; instead, it provides less examples etc., to keep the page limits down. In other words, no "bells and whistles."

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Bar Exam Tutor

New

Post by Bar Exam Tutor » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:02 pm

I have successfully tutored many attorneys for the Maryland Attorney's Exam since 2004.
Please email me at bartutor@att.net if you would like details of the program.

Sincerely,

Paul.
Cans25 wrote:Hi All,

I've been practicing law for 18 years in MA and NH. I moved to Tennessee a couple years ago and have decided it's time to take the bar exam. Looking to sit for the July exam next year.

I am trying to decide between the BarBri regular course or the BarBri attorney's course. I don't really have time to take the full regular course but I am worried the attorney's course will fall short because the last bar exam I took (and passed) was in 2001. I'm very rusty on a couple of the subjects I don't use in my practice.

Any advice? Any attorneys out there taking the bar exam so many years after first passing a bar have on opinion or experience?

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”