California Bar Tutors Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lexingtonhr

New

California Bar Tutors

Post by lexingtonhr » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:54 pm

I've been researching tutors here and there. Can anyone provide their insight and experience with their tutors whilst studying for the Bar? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for one?

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: California Bar Tutors

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:09 pm

I used Patrick Lin out of so cal. But my biggest problem was essays and he is a former bar grader so that worked well for me. I only found three former ca graders doing bar tutoring and he was by far the most reasonbly priced. A nice guy but no sugar coating at all if you're okay with that.

HOWEVER, from reading your posts it seems like the MBE may be more of a challenge for you. In that case you're almost lucky because that material can likely be learned from any number of tutors.

I can't say for sure, but amalehuman may have a tutoring service?

I can say, and take this with a grain of salt, that not just reading, but writing out the explanation of questions I got wrong was helpful.

lexingtonhr

New

Post by lexingtonhr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 am

rcharter1978 wrote:I used Patrick Lin out of so cal. But my biggest problem was essays and he is a former bar grader so that worked well for me. I only found three former ca graders doing bar tutoring and he was by far the most reasonbly priced. A nice guy but no sugar coating at all if you're okay with that.

HOWEVER, from reading your posts it seems like the MBE may be more of a challenge for you. In that case you're almost lucky because that material can likely be learned from any number of tutors.

I can say, and take this with a grain of salt, that not just reading, but writing out the explanation of questions I got wrong was helpful.
I wrote out the explanation of my wrong answers, it didn't help. That's why I'm so confused about what to do moving forward. I don't know. That's why I'm trying to find a tutor that aids in MBE practice and also essays too.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:57 am

lexingtonhr wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:I used Patrick Lin out of so cal. But my biggest problem was essays and he is a former bar grader so that worked well for me. I only found three former ca graders doing bar tutoring and he was by far the most reasonbly priced. A nice guy but no sugar coating at all if you're okay with that.

I wrote out the explanation of my wrong answers, it didn't help. That's why I'm so confused about what to do moving forward. I don't know. That's why I'm trying to find a tutor that aids in MBE practice and also essays too.
Okay, that sucks :( But I feel like fixing an MBE score has to be easier than fixing essay scores. Kaplan had a tutoring service and their tutors we're more geared towards helping with black letter law/MBEs. I remember talking to a guy out of the east coast that I really liked but I didn't use him because I needed a lot of essay help.

I would not recommend Patrick Lin for that sort of help. Sorry, I hope you find someone good

lexingtonhr

New

Post by lexingtonhr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
lexingtonhr wrote:

Okay, that sucks :( But I feel like fixing an MBE score has to be easier than fixing essay scores. Kaplan had a tutoring service and their tutors we're more geared towards helping with black letter law/MBEs. I remember talking to a guy out of the east coast that I really liked but I didn't use him because I needed a lot of essay help.

I would not recommend Patrick Lin for that sort of help. Sorry, I hope you find someone good
Thank you, I hope so too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”