Failed the CA bar and I just got my results. Now what? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
xonimi

New

Failed the CA bar and I just got my results. Now what?

Post by xonimi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 pm

This was my first attempt. I used Barbri, Adaptibar, BarEssays, and Emmanuels (I bought this late so I didn’t use it much).

I think I did around 800 MBEs on Adaptibar, about 300 with Barbri and Emmanuel. I didn’t write out many essays but I issue spotted and reviewed plenty. My essays were the main reason I failed, especially the PT (see below for score breakdown).

I’m not sure what to do now. Should I try Barbri again? I don’t think I used Barbri the way I should have. I skipped over a lot of assignments because they seemed like a waste of time but maybe they weren’t. I think maybe if I had stuck with their schedule and did everything assigned in addition to working with the other supplements I had, I may have had a different outcome.

I’m only considering repeating them because its free and I need a set schedule. I’m not sure how I would schedule my days without a bar course. I wouldn't know what order to study each subject in and how many days to spend on each one. My hesitation for taking another course is that I don’t know if I can afford spending over $1000 again and possibly fail a second time.

I feel really lost and confused. I don’t know how to approach studying or even when to start. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Essay 1: 60/50/55
Essay 2: 60/65/62.5
Essay 3: 65/65/65
Essay 4: 55/55/55
Essay 5: 75/70/72.5
PT: 55/55/55

Raw Written: 420.0
Scaled Written: 1403.5820
Scaled MBE: 1422.00

Total Scaled Score: 1412.7910

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Re: Failed the CA bar and I just got my results. Now what?

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Sorry to hear that. Keep at it, don't give up. You were very close to passing.

On Bar Essays, did you memorize the essay attack templates? I found that to be very useful at exam time.

What was your last two-week percentage on Adaptibar?

chickenb00b

New

Post by chickenb00b » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:15 pm

I thought Adaptibar sucked. Sure it was great to do it anywhere with a phone, and you can track your progress every 350 questions, but it was NOTHING like the real deal. Very far from it.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 pm

I don't think issue spotting is enough for essays. And I think it's madness not to do practice PTs. Unless you're in a funky year you'll get something pretty normal. It's a mistake a lot of people make but practice PTs make a difference. I don't know how many MBEs I did, I feel like it may have been more than 1100. Barbri isn't for everyone but they do have a schedule so there is that. Weird that there was a 10 pt differential on that essay question. Your essay scores weren't the worst, but maybe a few more practice essays would have helped? There are self study guides online, and you should have a feel for what areas you're weak in after you took the exam, right?

catechumen

New

Post by catechumen » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:09 pm

I have failed the CA exam 8 times. Scores always arrive on Monday regardless of where I live. Today, nothing. I always wait for the letter so I can see scores if I failed. Has anyone who passed received their letter in the mail yet? And if so where do you live approximately. Trying to figure out if they send out passing letters separate from failing letters. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:21 pm

catechumen wrote:I have failed the CA exam 8 times. Scores always arrive on Monday regardless of where I live. Today, nothing. I always wait for the letter so I can see scores if I failed. Has anyone who passed received their letter in the mail yet? And if so where do you live approximately. Trying to figure out if they send out passing letters separate from failing letters. Thanks!
So cal area, got my letter today. (i passed).

Maybe your mailman hasn't come yet?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:44 pm

catechumen wrote:I have failed the CA exam 8 times. Scores always arrive on Monday regardless of where I live. Today, nothing. I always wait for the letter so I can see scores if I failed. Has anyone who passed received their letter in the mail yet? And if so where do you live approximately. Trying to figure out if they send out passing letters separate from failing letters. Thanks!
Pass letters are little and flat, any chance you missed it?

catechumen

New

Post by catechumen » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Nope. The mail has already been delivered. Maybe it got delayed a day. Good to know pass letters are thinner. Oh, and it's possible the guy in So Cal got his first because he is closer to where they are mailed out of. Hopefully, I will find out tomorrow.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:13 pm

catechumen wrote:Nope. The mail has already been delivered. Maybe it got delayed a day. Good to know pass letters are thinner. Oh, and it's possible the guy in So Cal got his first because he is closer to where they are mailed out of. Hopefully, I will find out tomorrow.
I was sure I failed so I never checked online. I just waited for the mailed results. I assumed the little flat letter was some nonsensical address confirmation form or some random bill from the bar. Had no idea it was the pass letter....nearly had a heart attack at my mailbox.

Good luck!!! I want everyone to have that fantastic cardic scare!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:55 pm

catechumen wrote:Nope. The mail has already been delivered. Maybe it got delayed a day. Good to know pass letters are thinner. Oh, and it's possible the guy in So Cal got his first because he is closer to where they are mailed out of. Hopefully, I will find out tomorrow.

When I passed last year, my letter just came in a thin envelope. It was just a single page typed in 8pt font. Very underwhelming. I had not yet completed my C&F at that point though, so that could be a reason.

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:Sorry to hear that. Keep at it, don't give up. You were very close to passing.

On Bar Essays, did you memorize the essay attack templates? I found that to be very useful at exam time.

What was your last two-week percentage on Adaptibar?
I didn't use the templates that much. I mostly turned to those for subjects that I thought I was weak on and didn't know how to organize. I don't remember my exact percentage on Adaptibar but I know it generally ranged from 65-70%. I got a 124/200 on Barbri's midterm and a 64/100 on the refresher.

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:17 am

rcharter1978 wrote:I don't think issue spotting is enough for essays. And I think it's madness not to do practice PTs. Unless you're in a funky year you'll get something pretty normal. It's a mistake a lot of people make but practice PTs make a difference. I don't know how many MBEs I did, I feel like it may have been more than 1100. Barbri isn't for everyone but they do have a schedule so there is that. Weird that there was a 10 pt differential on that essay question. Your essay scores weren't the worst, but maybe a few more practice essays would have helped? There are self study guides online, and you should have a feel for what areas you're weak in after you took the exam, right?
I did practice PTs but clearly not as much as I should have. I took a bar prep class during my last semester of school and we did PTs so I didn't think I needed as much practice during bar prep. I didn't feel all that confident with my PT after the exam but I was not expecting to get a 55 at all.

Agree about the 10 pt differential for essay 1. That was my weakest subject that I was hoping I wouldn't get tested on so I knew right away that I would score low for that. But I don't know why the 2 readers scored so differently. I haven't received my essays so I don't know how they reached those numbers.

xonimi

New

Post by xonimi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:23 am

chickenb00b wrote:I thought Adaptibar sucked. Sure it was great to do it anywhere with a phone, and you can track your progress every 350 questions, but it was NOTHING like the real deal. Very far from it.
I agree. I thought the actual MBEs were far more difficult than any Adaptibar question I did. From the supplements I used, I think Emmanuel's most closely resembled the questions I saw during the exam.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 am

xonimi wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:I don't think issue spotting is enough for essays. And I think it's madness not to do practice PTs. Unless you're in a funky year you'll get something pretty normal. It's a mistake a lot of people make but practice PTs make a difference. I don't know how many MBEs I did, I feel like it may have been more than 1100. Barbri isn't for everyone but they do have a schedule so there is that. Weird that there was a 10 pt differential on that essay question. Your essay scores weren't the worst, but maybe a few more practice essays would have helped? There are self study guides online, and you should have a feel for what areas you're weak in after you took the exam, right?
I did practice PTs but clearly not as much as I should have. I took a bar prep class during my last semester of school and we did PTs so I didn't think I needed as much practice during bar prep. I didn't feel all that confident with my PT after the exam but I was not expecting to get a 55 at all.

Agree about the 10 pt differential for essay 1. That was my weakest subject that I was hoping I wouldn't get tested on so I knew right away that I would score low for that. But I don't know why the 2 readers scored so differently. I haven't received my essays so I don't know how they reached those numbers.
It's that element of luck. The fact that you would have a 10 point difference in one question let's you know just how subjective the essays can be. You do what you can, but who knows maybe you get a grader who just had a crappy day. You control what you can. It's part of the reason that giving more weight to the mbes is a good idea.

But yeah, I think maybe more PT practice would be helpful. It's great that you even did it, I've spoken to a lot of people who never did a practice PT. Wild.

I know Barbri is free, but think about it before you jump.

cabartaker92

New

Post by cabartaker92 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:56 am

xonimi wrote:This was my first attempt. I used Barbri, Adaptibar, BarEssays, and Emmanuels (I bought this late so I didn’t use it much).

I think I did around 800 MBEs on Adaptibar, about 300 with Barbri and Emmanuel. I didn’t write out many essays but I issue spotted and reviewed plenty. My essays were the main reason I failed, especially the PT (see below for score breakdown).

I’m not sure what to do now. Should I try Barbri again? I don’t think I used Barbri the way I should have. I skipped over a lot of assignments because they seemed like a waste of time but maybe they weren’t. I think maybe if I had stuck with their schedule and did everything assigned in addition to working with the other supplements I had, I may have had a different outcome.

I’m only considering repeating them because its free and I need a set schedule. I’m not sure how I would schedule my days without a bar course. I wouldn't know what order to study each subject in and how many days to spend on each one. My hesitation for taking another course is that I don’t know if I can afford spending over $1000 again and possibly fail a second time.

I feel really lost and confused. I don’t know how to approach studying or even when to start. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

I think to perform well on the essays, you have to actually fully write out a lot of practice exams. This is the only way you'll feel comfortable writing all day on test day (anywhere between 40-70 essays at least). Resist the urge to passively read outlines and spot issues--actually write essays out. You also need to improve your MBE score. This is an EASY way to push yourself above passing. Each MBE question is worth about 5 points to your score, so you would have passed with about 6 more MBE questions correct. Pay close attention to when you get a question wrong. Write the law down so you never get a question like that wrong again. I managed to pass and never did Barbri's AMP assignments (which I hated, but some people found helpful). Practicing writing essays and doing actual MBE questions are literally the best way to prepare for the test, not Barbri's BS extra assignments. I found Barbri's CAT book for the essays to be very helpful for model answers, as well as Baressays. I used Adaptibar for MBE. Let me know if you have any other questions.

km0ney

New

Post by km0ney » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:13 pm

cabartaker92 wrote:
xonimi wrote:This was my first attempt. I used Barbri, Adaptibar, BarEssays, and Emmanuels (I bought this late so I didn’t use it much).

I think to perform well on the essays, you have to actually fully write out a lot of practice exams. This is the only way you'll feel comfortable writing all day on test day (anywhere between 40-70 essays at least). Resist the urge to passively read outlines and spot issues--actually write essays out. You also need to improve your MBE score. This is an EASY way to push yourself above passing. Each MBE question is worth about 5 points to your score, so you would have passed with about 6 more MBE questions correct. Pay close attention to when you get a question wrong. Write the law down so you never get a question like that wrong again. I managed to pass and never did Barbri's AMP assignments (which I hated, but some people found helpful). Practicing writing essays and doing actual MBE questions are literally the best way to prepare for the test, not Barbri's BS extra assignments. I found Barbri's CAT book for the essays to be very helpful for model answers, as well as Baressays. I used Adaptibar for MBE. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Agree with the above poster to an extent. It's definitely a lot more than issue spotting--despite what many others have led you to believe. I missed a ton of issues (at least according to other TLS people). In fact, I think I missed more issues than I actually analyzed. Here's the thing though, just like in law school, analysis is more important especially if you hit the big issues. So, I'd say Strong Analysis + Spot Big Issues >>> Weak Analysis + Spot all big and small issues. And, thus, this is where practice comes in. Practice allows you to learn how to analyze the law. Which facts to use to make what argument and to evaluate the strength of it.

And just to add onto this. This is also why it's important to learn the big parts of each subject because at least 70% of the Bar will be tested on those. There will be a few (the other 30%, at most) questions asking about the minor stuff that you only glanced over (e.g. I only knew minimally what dormant commerce clause was--definitely didn't know about the balancing test). But you'll use your exceptional analysis skills to deal with those to a passing grade. Apply the facts to the law. Address all arguments. Ok I'll shutup now.
Last edited by km0ney on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lexingtonhr

New

Post by lexingtonhr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:13 pm

chickenb00b wrote:I thought Adaptibar sucked. Sure it was great to do it anywhere with a phone, and you can track your progress every 350 questions, but it was NOTHING like the real deal. Very far from it.
I used AdaptiBar everyday and did 50 questions. My score was up to a 65-70% towards the end. That didn't mean shit on the Bar. My MBE score was low when I got my results back. I don't even know how to figure out my game plan for next time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

km0ney

New

Post by km0ney » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:20 pm

lexingtonhr wrote:
I used AdaptiBar everyday and did 50 questions. My score was up to a 65-70% towards the end. That didn't mean shit on the Bar. My MBE score was low when I got my results back. I don't even know how to figure out my game plan for next time.
Absolutely agree. I also did a lot of Adaptibar questions, and it did not reflect the difficulty of the exam. While I wouldn't recommend it (anymore), I still beleive in practice. Adaptibar provides alot of questions. Emanuels/tactics or finz doesn't provide enough. Perhaps that's what the bar prep programs are good for--their questions. I haven't thoroughly used my Themis (I stopped to use Adaptibar full time instead), so I wouldn't know. But I told all my friends who didn't pass to skip Adaptibar.

Explanations sucked. Not reflective of actual bar. Only thing cool was being able to do it anywhere with your phone and tracking progress (though I think Themis lets you track as well--but I'm not a themis fan either. Regret paying them).

lexingtonhr

New

Post by lexingtonhr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:33 pm

km0ney wrote:
lexingtonhr wrote:
Absolutely agree. I also did a lot of Adaptibar questions, and it did not reflect the difficulty of the exam. While I wouldn't recommend it (anymore), I still beleive in practice. Adaptibar provides alot of questions. Emanuels/tactics or finz doesn't provide enough. Perhaps that's what the bar prep programs are good for--their questions. I haven't thoroughly used my Themis (I stopped to use Adaptibar full time instead), so I wouldn't know. But I told all my friends who didn't pass to skip Adaptibar.

Explanations sucked. Not reflective of actual bar. Only thing cool was being able to do it anywhere with your phone and tracking progress (though I think Themis lets you track as well--but I'm not a themis fan either. Regret paying them).
BarBri was my bar prep program and I regret paying for it. Some people from my class passed it using BarBri, but still said it sucked. So, I don't know. I'm at a loss as to what I need to do differently the next time. I'm just frustrated. My Bar mentor stressed using AdaptiBar and said it was the goal to passing. I had my doubts, but believed him because he passed with it too. In the end, it didn't help. Although AdaptiBar does have the NCBE's released questions on their site, there are still some old questions on there. I supplemented with Emmanuels and saw many of the same questions on the AdaptiBar site from that book. Again, I don't know what to do differently...

km0ney

New

Post by km0ney » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:44 pm

lexingtonhr wrote:
km0ney wrote:
lexingtonhr wrote:

BarBri was my bar prep program and I regret paying for it. Some people from my class passed it using BarBri, but still said it sucked. So, I don't know. I'm at a loss as to what I need to do differently the next time. I'm just frustrated. My Bar mentor stressed using AdaptiBar and said it was the goal to passing. I had my doubts, but believed him because he passed with it too. In the end, it didn't help. Although AdaptiBar does have the NCBE's released questions on their site, there are still some old questions on there. I supplemented with Emmanuels and saw many of the same questions on the AdaptiBar site from that book. Again, I don't know what to do differently...
What were your scores? Perhaps shoot me a PM.

mathandthelaw

New

Post by mathandthelaw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 pm

I just passed the CA bar and I'd like to give you my input.

You should be proud of your score. You almost passed and you'll get it next time. Keep in mind that only 32.4% of ATTORNEYS who took the ATTORNEYS exam and did NOT have to do the multiple choice passed.

I reviewed your scores and I can see that there is some improvement needed in Contracts and Community Property. You may not need to worry about CP for the Feb bar, but I would treat it like it's still going to be tested.

The PT was clearly your big weakness here. Now I did like 10 PTs and I spent 1 hour and 45 minutes on my PT during the exam. It is worth 2 essays and you just cannot fail the PT. If you had passed the PT, you would have passed the bar. I recommend spending at a minimum of 1 hour and 45 minutes on the PT on game day, maybe even almost 2 hours.

Just for the record, I studied EVERY DAY. A minimum of 8 hours EVERY DAY, including my birthday. Then the month before 10 hours EVERY DAY. I only took a day and a half off right before the bar exam to relax and I started just reviewing flashcards and hanging out with my boyfriend. I made sure that I put in the work to pass this thing the first time. I'm not saying you have to do as many hours as I did, but you should honestly get pretty close. That's how you can guarantee for yourself that you'll pass.

Try Emmanuals multiple choice. Make brand new outlines for every subject. Start memorizing earlier. And practice essays/mult choice. Do every god damn California bar past essay. I got all my 90 minute PTs from Barbri.

Best of luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 pm

lexingtonhr wrote:
km0ney wrote:
lexingtonhr wrote:

That's disheartening, but one mans treasure is another man's trash. I liked adaptibar, other people hated it. Some people we're way into the barbri method, it wasn't a good fit for me.

I liked the barbri books and outlines and I had a writing tutor which was essential given that the writing was worth 65% when I took it.

How did you study in law school? Was there a method that was particularly successful for you to learn law? The way I learned law was so ridiculously long, laborious and dumb, but it worked for me.

I basically found that I threw everything at the wall at first and saw what stuck. For me, it was my long and dumb way of learning law, Barbri books, writing essays and pts and getting the tutors feedback and adatibar questions. Oh and that red pt book. That thing was the bomb.com

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Your MBE score wasn't bad at all. It's above the national average, and would have qualified you to waive into DC has you passed the exam.

vc1984

New

Post by vc1984 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:46 pm

I pass it this time. But, I was in your situation before, as I failed the Feb. 2018 CA bar. Last time, I got 1400 score something. I got the not passing result on the Friday. The only thing I did is to study again on the next Saturday morning. It was not easy for me, as I am a New York attorney and for family reason, I moved to the LA which requires me to take the bar exam again. I am not native speak, a foreigner with no relatives in the U.S., I have two small kids, and my wife is a busy trial attorney (none of her family member in LA either), and I have a full time job at a law firm as a "law clerk". Trust me, it was so hard and I even thought about whether I should move back to NY to avoid the exam. However, because of the family situation, moving is not an option. So, I wrapped up my emotions and feelings and focused on the exam prep, and I told myself I can't fail it again. Honestly speaking, I did not have much time on the prep due to my commitment to the family and work. However, if you know passing the bar is something that you must do, you will get it though it is difficult and challenging. you are so closed this time. wrapping up yourself, preparing for the exam this time as if this were your first time, praying for some luck, and you will pass it next time. Good Luck!

nathan123

New

Post by nathan123 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Sorry to hear that you did not pass.

For some people the MBE is intuitive. For me it was not, which is the reason why I decided to purchase the "Mastering the MBE" video add-on that Adaptibar offers (at a cost of course - believe it cost $99 to purchase, not really sure).

I took the July 2018 bar exam and passed, so I don't know how I did on the MBE. However, if I were a betting man I would bet that I performed very well on the actual MBE because of Adaptibar.

Something "clicked" for me after I watched the "Mastering the MBE," video. That video really taught me how to tackle MBE questions.

After watching that video, and doing 95% of the questions that Adaptibar offered (I averaged 73%-75% correct, can't really remember at this point but it was in that range%), I felt very confident going into the actual MBE.

The morning MBE session was a breeze for me, but the afternoon MBE session was brutal. However, even in the afternoon session I was able to narrow down most of my answer choices to 2 answers.

You did well on the MBE - 142 is an admirable score. However, if you can increase your score to 150s and 160s, you should be set to pass. This would take a lot of pressure off of you on the essays/PT (where there is the whole issue of subjective grading).

Good luck and keep your head up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”