Failed CA Bar Exam, planning on taking MN exam (UBE) in February. How does it compare? Should I take a prep course? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cheskama

New

Failed CA Bar Exam, planning on taking MN exam (UBE) in February. How does it compare? Should I take a prep course?

Post by cheskama » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:12 am

I have a job where I will be practicing federally, so I just need to be admitted in a state. Any state. I only have one more chance to pass the bar, or my job offer will be revoked. I am scared to take the CA bar again because I studied my ass off and didn't pass, so I am planning to take it in a state with a higher pass rate. In hindsight I should have taken it in an easier state to begin with but I thought I might want to practice in CA in the future. At this point though, keeping my job offer is more important, so I want to increase my odds as much as possible.
I am currently in the process of applying to sit for the Minnesota bar. How does the UBE compare to the CA Bar Exam? I took Themis for the CA bar, and thought it was good, even though it obviously didn't work for me. Should I just use the material I have since MBE and MPT are the same and get supplemental materials for the UBE, or is it worth it to shell out another ~$2k to get UBE specific prep course? Thanks in advance.

longwait

New

Re: Failed CA Bar Exam, planning on taking MN exam (UBE) in February. How does it compare? Should I take a prep course?

Post by longwait » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:37 am

I did both UBE and California.

The UBE might have been easier for two reasons—you don't need to study state specific for essays and the pass score in all UBE states is lower than California.

You write more essays with UBE, generally allotting 30 minutes per essay compared to one hour with California. You also do 2 MPTs.
Basically you can miss some stuff and still do well.

phonylawyer2017

New

Re: Failed CA Bar Exam, planning on taking MN exam (UBE) in February. How does it compare? Should I take a prep course?

Post by phonylawyer2017 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Take it in a JX like Oklahoma, where pass rate exceeds 85%.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:05 pm

I used Themis, I think they're fine for the MBE, which is what you want to concentrate on in any event. Were you getting near 70% of your questions right? That's kind of the golden area where you can be confident you pass, 75%+ and you don't even have to be any good at the essays or MPT. But if your job is on the line and you didn't feel like Themis was working for you on the MBE, I'd try something else.

ME2JD

New

Post by ME2JD » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm in the same situation. Failed CA a few times and now I'm switching gears to take the UBE bar. For MBE's, I plan to stick to Adaptibar and Strategies and Tactics. For PT's, I plan do do a ton of timed 90 minute exams. However, I'm not quite sure how to approach the MEE section. Have you found any good resources for the MEE? I'm broke and can't afford a UBE specific course.
cheskama wrote:I have a job where I will be practicing federally, so I just need to be admitted in a state. Any state. I only have one more chance to pass the bar, or my job offer will be revoked. I am scared to take the CA bar again because I studied my ass off and didn't pass, so I am planning to take it in a state with a higher pass rate. In hindsight I should have taken it in an easier state to begin with but I thought I might want to practice in CA in the future. At this point though, keeping my job offer is more important, so I want to increase my odds as much as possible.
I am currently in the process of applying to sit for the Minnesota bar. How does the UBE compare to the CA Bar Exam? I took Themis for the CA bar, and thought it was good, even though it obviously didn't work for me. Should I just use the material I have since MBE and MPT are the same and get supplemental materials for the UBE, or is it worth it to shell out another ~$2k to get UBE specific prep course? Thanks in advance.

Bar Exam Tutor

New

Post by Bar Exam Tutor » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:30 am

Hi cheskama,

I offer tutoring for CA and several other jurisdictions including the UBE and I have successfully people taking the bar in the same situation as you.
Please email me at bartutor@att.net if you are interested in discussing.

Sincerely,

Paul

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”