Moral Character Application Under Review Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Appleton

New

Moral Character Application Under Review

Post by Appleton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Is there anyone still have Moral Character Application under review? I took the July CA Bar exam, and I completed the MCA Application around April. Is it unusual that my application is still under review? Do I have to contact anyone?

a819v5T5dVe

New

Re: Moral Character Application Under Review

Post by a819v5T5dVe » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 pm

I'm in the same boat...

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:06 pm

same deal, only I submitted beginning of May. It's killing me. I called my analyst a week ago and left a voicemail (ofc she did not get back to me.)

gluttonforpunishment

New

Post by gluttonforpunishment » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Same here. Received notice that initial processing was completed on 5/30. I haven't heard anything more.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:58 pm

From what I have read and heard, CA is increasing their scrutiny of C&F apps. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6-8 months generic time frame becomes an 8-10 month time frame in the near future.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:21 am

Over a year here, and got a notice back in August that it could take another 6-8 months. I'm older though, have owned businesses, sued, been sued, divorced, child custody, etc. IOW, I've had a life.

Passing the bar was great, but here I am, still not a lawyer.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:38 am

The first time around, it took them almost 22 months to deny me. I had a couple of DOs to answer for and at the time, one was less than ten-years old. The first time, I hadn't passed the CBX when I was denied.

The second time around, it took them eight months to invite me the informal conference. Last time, it was 21 months before I received the invitation. I couldn't attend the informal conference last time for reasons that aren't important now. This time, I had to reschedule because of a serious health issue requiring surgery. I attended the formal conference a couple weeks ago and am currently awaiting the committee's decision.

It you're application is taking longer than 8 months, there's an issue. Be proactive. As for calling, read the material on the Bar's Admission page. It says specifically that submitting an inquiry in writing is better: https://www.calbarxap.com/applications/ ... actus.html

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Denied again. Totally disappointed. Take it seriously people. Hire a C&F lawyer. The informal conference is far trickier than you think.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:50 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:Denied again. Totally disappointed. Take it seriously people. Hire a C&F lawyer. The informal conference is far trickier than you think.

I'm sorry to hear this, I was rooting for you.

Did they give a reason for the denial?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:10 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote: I'm sorry to hear this, I was rooting for you.

Did they give a reason for the denial?
Yes. I failed to seek counseling after the incident 15 years ago. No kidding. I may appeal. I'm speaking with counsel next week.

fieryking

New

Post by fieryking » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:13 pm

i passed the july 2018 bar first timer & still pending

submitted moral character application in may 2018

had to provide details of an arrest years ago that resulted in a small fine/infraction

been in contact with analyst & he keeps telling me to wait a month

anyone else in a similar situation? should i be worried about being denied??

i’ve had more than a few traffic & parking tickets throughout my life, credit card is less than $1k on it, have student loans, idk what could be taking so long but i’m really becoming anxious about this

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:45 pm

fieryking wrote:i passed the july 2018 bar first timer & still pending

had to provide details of an arrest years ago that resulted in a small fine/infraction

i’ve had more than a few traffic & parking tickets throughout my life, credit card is less than $1k on it, have student loans, idk what could be taking so long but i’m really becoming anxious about this
Have they asked for more information? When the bar sent a letter asking for more information or clarification is when I knew that I wanted representation.

I won't pretend to know exactly how these things work, but my understanding is that it's generally not the crime or arrest or whatever, it's more that your facts match up. IF that is the case he may be waiting on an arrest report from some super slow underfunded agency. I can't imagine that they would deny you outright without asking for more details.

Although frankly, it's nearly been a year, so that seems weird.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:21 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
fieryking wrote: ...had to provide details of an arrest years ago that resulted in a small fine/infraction

anyone else in a similar situation? should i be worried about being denied?? ...
Have they asked for more information? When the bar sent a letter asking for more information or clarification is when I knew that I wanted representation.

I won't pretend to know exactly how these things work, but my understanding is that it's generally not the crime or arrest or whatever, it's more that your facts match up. IF that is the case he may be waiting on an arrest report from some super slow underfunded agency. I can't imagine that they would deny you outright without asking for more details.

Although frankly, it's nearly been a year, so that seems weird.
Exactly. Keep in mind that, in most states (and the NCBE), analysts have to review hundreds of applications (unless you're applying to a small state), so it's not like your file will get done in...a day. But anything longer than 6-7 months (in California, 8 months), there's something holding it up.

At some point, you need to know what your analyst is missing. See if there's anything that needs your correspondence. There might be an entity that wants further authorizations (from you personally) before anything's released, and that alone could hold up your file for a good while. Multiply the amount of said entities by a few, and...your file's taking 4-6 months to process. If you've answered "yes" to any of the "red flag" questions, or if you're older, chances are greater that you'll have to deal them. There's a normal timetable for these things, and once you're outside of that, it's reasonable to explicitly ask what needs to be done to (complete your file).

Now as to the delay being an indication of an eventual denial: you can't even entertain that until you get called for an interview. The Board (or whomever actually makes admittance decisions) can't touch your file until completion. That's where your problem is.

My $.02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BrainToast

New

Post by BrainToast » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:45 am

fieryking wrote:i passed the july 2018 bar first timer & still pending

Depends on what the arrest was for. The punishment may have been minor, but the charges could be of moral turpitude, which makes it worse. Also, how long ago was the arrest? If you were still in law school that makes it worse.

Assuming you obtained the police report, what did it say about your behavior during and after the arrest? Trying to lie your way out is worse than owning up to it or remaining silent. Cooperation and resmorse once you are arrested go a long way.

The parking/traffic tickets, credit card debt and student loans are irrelevant unless you are in defaul or there is a judgment against you.

kiwh

New

Post by kiwh » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:44 pm

I submitted my MC in June of 2018 and was approved in December. I did have a charge of moral turpitude that was from 2006. I explained everything and submitted all court proceedings and police report with my application. I had a few other issues as well but explained everything in detail. I kept in contact with my investigator every 30 days once one was assigned and asked if there was any further information I could provide concerning the incident and other issues. I was never asked for any additional information regarding the issues.

It is reasonable to ask your investigator why it is taking so long after almost 1 year and what information they still need. I was told each time that I called that they had everything they needed but that I was still in line for review. But it only took 6 months to be cleared.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am

BrainToast wrote:
Depends on what the arrest was for. The punishment may have been minor, but the charges could be of moral turpitude, which makes it worse. Also, how long ago was the arrest? If you were still in law school that makes it worse.

Assuming you obtained the police report, what did it say about your behavior during and after the arrest? Trying to lie your way out is worse than owning up to it or remaining silent. Cooperation and resmorse once you are arrested go a long way.

The parking/traffic tickets, credit card debt and student loans are irrelevant unless you are in defaul or there is a judgment against you.
You need to obtain and read the police report and any witness statements. If law enforcement said you were combative or evasive, that will come up at the informal conference. Also, they'll ask you about witness statements. The more recent the arrest, the more problematic. If you've continued to rack up parking tickets and fines, it could be a problem, especially if you ignored a summons to show up in court.

Additionally, if you were terminated from any job it's an issue, if you were terminated from a job in the legal field, it's a huge issue. The Committee will contact your employer and their statement is given much more weight than your version. If you think your admission is in jeopardy, hire counsel. If you absolutely can't, start reading case law now.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:57 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:Over a year here, and got a notice back in August that it could take another 6-8 months. I'm older though, have owned businesses, sued, been sued, divorced, child custody, etc. IOW, I've had a life.

Another 6-8 months? :shock: That’s horrible. What state is this?

Have you looked at somewhere? I couldn’t imagine waiting that long. My state just got my file after 7.5 months (thanks NCBE :x ), and I’m thinking that’s long. I’d go through the whole thing again and get licensed elsewhere (just out of spite) if I had to wait another 8 months. As you already know, you can’t replace time lost - might as well use what you have.

My $.02

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:39 am

bacillusanthracis wrote:Over a year here, and got a notice back in August that it could take another 6-8 months. I'm older though, have owned businesses, sued, been sued, divorced, child custody, etc. IOW, I've had a life.

Another 6-8 months? :shock: That’s horrible. What state is this?

You're almost certainly going to be called to an informal conference. If you get the "invitation," message me and I'll try to give some specifics about what to expect. Because it's taking so long, you might want to consult with someone who is licensed. They're not holding you up because they're checking every little thing. They found something, and if you really don't have any idea what it is, start checking. Remember, past employers can say anything they want about you with impunity. And their version of your employment history carries far more weight with the committee than yours. Good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”