Essential Bar Prep Materials

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
BirdLawyerCharlie

New

Essential Bar Prep Materials

Postby BirdLawyerCharlie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Okay, so I've been browsing and lurking this forum for the past hour and it seems like everyone recommends something different. Is there anyway we can aggregate what people prefer most? I took the July 18 bar and passed the essay portion and failed the MBE by 6 and have to retake and I'm looking for something to bump my MBE score over that threshold.

I took 98% of Barbri and since it did not work for me I am looking into doing Themis or Kaplan as well as supplementing it with additional resources. Things I hear good news about are:

- Critical Pass cards
- Adaptibar
- BarMax
- Emanuels
- Finz Strategies and Tactics

a male human

Gold

Re: Essential Bar Prep Materials

Postby a male human » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pm

I'll add BarEssays if you're taking the CA bar.

nthp

New

Postby nthp » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:59 am

I'm sorry that you didn't pass BirdLawyerCharlie. You are so close and will get it in February.

Adaptibar is a good source if you learn by finding patterns. Just do as many practice questions as time allows for you, write down the right answers to the questions that you get wrong, and try to figure out why the answer you picked is wrong together with the other wrong answer choices. Eventually, you'll notice patterns in any given fact pattern. There's only so many ways that they can test you, so it doesn't really matter how old the questions appear to be.

Additionally, I found that the most important thing for me while using the program was to pretend that I'm being timed for each question. I only allowed myself, at most 2.5 minutes to answer a question. I averaged about 1.5 minutes. This started from the very beginning of practice. This allows you to train yourself to think quickly in a short amount of time so that you are not fretting on the day of the exam that you cannot finish on time.

You want to get your accuracy within a range that you feel comfortable with to pass, because the actual exam conditions can throw you off and you might be on the lower end of that range.

I hope this helps. Again, I'm sure you'll pass the next time. Good luck to you.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:36 pm

For self-studiers who won't be taking a class, I generally recommend Barbri's Convsier Mini Review for outlines to learn the law. They aren't short, but they aren't as daunting as the other book they put out, and they cover all the information you'll need to know for the test. Just black letter law, not many examples or illustrations of the law, which keeps the page count down.

As for practice questions:

Strategies and Tactics for the Finz Multistate Method (4th edition)
Strategies and Tactics for the MBE (6th edition)
Adaptibar
Seperac
OPE 1-4 (on the NCBE Website)
MBE Study Guide (on the NCBE website)

Note that some of the above will overlap with the same questions, but my point is only that all of the above are excellent resources when studying.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�