Attorney Moral Character Recomenndation Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LegaleZy

New

Attorney Moral Character Recomenndation

Post by LegaleZy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 pm

The NY Bar requires 2 moral character affidavits, one strongly preferred to be from an attorney in good standing not affiliated with your current employer or law school. That pretty much limits my pool to friends waiting to be licensed in other jurisdictions who I’m not that close too.

Does it look bad if I don’t have have a recommendation from an attorney in good standing? Or would I be better off getting rec from people who have known me the longest?

encore1101

Silver

Re: Attorney Moral Character Recomenndation

Post by encore1101 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:52 pm

FWIW, my character recommendations were a friend from undergrad whom I've known for about 7 years, and a licensed-attorney friend from law school that graduated a year before me, and I had no problems.

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 am

Bump

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Not having an attorney rec. would raise questions for me. The first thing that would pop into my mind is why you don't have any attorney recs. from your summer internship/associate jobs. But I don't think it's fatal since the instructions say "strongly suggested", but not "mandatory".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”