THEMIS DISCUSSION - FEBRUARY 2019 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ResIpsaLiquor

New

Re: THEMIS DISCUSSION - FEBRUARY 2019

Post by ResIpsaLiquor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Hey ya'll. Been a lurker for months. What a smart, fun, supportive crowd.

Just thought I'd share my experience, hope it helps some of you.

On mixed sets, I was barely cracking 70% (mostly 64-69%). Practice Exams were 62-67%. I bought some real MBE's from Studicata and worked out the Strategies and Techniques book and got 76-77% on all the practice exams! WTH?! These were taken under timed conditions with time to spare. Felt like the ones I got wrong on the real MBE's I either didn't know the law or I got tripped up by the question formatting/misreading/dumb mistakes. Probably 50/50.

It pays off to get as many real MBE questions under your belt as possible. I'm not sure how many of the recent mixed MBE sets are real MBE's or if they're still Themis constructions. The real MBE's to me seemed a lot easier and less "gotcha" like the ones we see on Themis. The practice exams have been real-MBE like but we only get a few of those....

Keep your heads up. We're almost there!

CaYLaw

New

Post by CaYLaw » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Lancair wrote:Heading to the States tomorrow so I've saved No. 4 for the flight.

Is anyone else ITT taking in Albany?
I will be taking the UBE in Albany as well. Safe travels!!

longagotaker

New

Post by longagotaker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:04 pm

yennem wrote:I am in a major slump, just scored a 48% on the last fl MC yesterday... Lost all my confidence.... The pressure is on :(
I think most people are experiencing ups and downs scorewise. They seem to add new information or test a lot of exceptions to teach you the rule and then go back to easier tests. I’m sure you will come back up. Don’t lose hope!

inyourhonor07

New

Post by inyourhonor07 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm

127 on the simulated a week and a half ago and 63 on the final (exam 4) yesterday. Did anyone else think exam 4 was crazy difficult? Not feeling great about that score because I was really hoping for at least a 70.

What are you guys doing to memorize essay rules?

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 am

ResIpsaLiquor wrote:Hey ya'll. Been a lurker for months. What a smart, fun, supportive crowd.

Just thought I'd share my experience, hope it helps some of you.

On mixed sets, I was barely cracking 70% (mostly 64-69%). Practice Exams were 62-67%. I bought some real MBE's from Studicata and worked out the Strategies and Techniques book and got 76-77% on all the practice exams! WTH?! These were taken under timed conditions with time to spare. Felt like the ones I got wrong on the real MBE's I either didn't know the law or I got tripped up by the question formatting/misreading/dumb mistakes. Probably 50/50.

It pays off to get as many real MBE questions under your belt as possible. I'm not sure how many of the recent mixed MBE sets are real MBE's or if they're still Themis constructions. The real MBE's to me seemed a lot easier and less "gotcha" like the ones we see on Themis. The practice exams have been real-MBE like but we only get a few of those....

Keep your heads up. We're almost there!
Welcome to the thread.

I think Joe Seperac has commented on some of the other threads that the released MBE questions are a bit easier than the actual bar exam difficulty "spread" (about 25% of easy, average, hard and very hard). Hence why people's OPE/adaptibar scores are usually higher than their Themis practice scores.

Exam #4 had some tricky questions. I only got 69% - although an airplane is not the ideal place to take an MBE. Did help make the 12hr flight from Sydney go a little faster though!.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 pm

Mixed-subject MBE PQs Session 15 was brutal.... There goes my confidence... lowest score yet 52%

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:13 am

If timing is not really an issue for you, is it bad to be doing the mixed sets in interactive mode, I find it much more helpful to see the explanation for the answer right after I do the question.

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:37 am

Has anyone done the NCBE sample set? http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... ument%2F17

I found them pretty challenging and scored lower than I have been on Themis sets. Now slightly freaked out.

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:25 pm

DodgerBlues1991 wrote:If timing is not really an issue for you, is it bad to be doing the mixed sets in interactive mode, I find it much more helpful to see the explanation for the answer right after I do the question.
No, this is the recommended way to study from what I hear. You want to learn the concepts rather than just getting them right or wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 pm

Are the essay workshop sheets a good measure of what to know for essays, in other words is it bad that I am relying on that to memorize for the essays

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:22 pm

DodgerBlues1991 wrote:Are the essay workshop sheets a good measure of what to know for essays, in other words is it bad that I am relying on that to memorize for the essays
Where are those located?

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:12 pm

yennem wrote:
DodgerBlues1991 wrote:Are the essay workshop sheets a good measure of what to know for essays, in other words is it bad that I am relying on that to memorize for the essays
Where are those located?
they are located where the essay workshop videos are.

CaYLaw

New

Post by CaYLaw » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:52 pm

For those who passed, roughly how many practice MEEs did you complete (timed or untimed). I'm aware practice is key, but I am wondering if I should just do a full deep review this weekend instead. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:56 am

DodgerBlues1991 wrote:
yennem wrote:
Where are those located?
they are located where the essay workshop videos are.
I wouldnt rely on those too much, those are very limited. I would go to the FL bar website and just read through the model answers there.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:22 pm

MartyFunkhouse wrote:
DodgerBlues1991 wrote:Any themis users find the final review outlines helpful for memorization?
I used those for review and to create one page checklists to help with the "big picture". I really think memorization boils down to daily exposure to the materials and practicing. I find that outlining only helps for compartmentalizing all of the material into your head in a structured way while flash cards, skimming outlines, and primarily practice will help ingrain the more specific details.

Does anyone have any insight into the February passage rates for Themis? Are they similar to the July rates?
Hi there, agreed with daily exposure.

As for Feb pass rates, they're traditionally far lower than July because of all the foreign takers and re-takers. That stat has no bearing on first time domestic takers though, and you should do as well as anyone else. Ie feb is not harder than July.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:24 pm

yennem wrote:
DodgerBlues1991 wrote:If timing is not really an issue for you, is it bad to be doing the mixed sets in interactive mode, I find it much more helpful to see the explanation for the answer right after I do the question.
No, this is the recommended way to study from what I hear. You want to learn the concepts rather than just getting them right or wrong.
Agreed. Make sure you learn from each mistake. There is no advantage to doing questions and having no idea where you went wrong. (Although it's fine to do a non-interactive set so long as you check your mistakes at the end).

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:29 pm

CaYLaw wrote:For those who passed, roughly how many practice MEEs did you complete (timed or untimed). I'm aware practice is key, but I am wondering if I should just do a full deep review this weekend instead. Thanks.
Hi there,

Personally, I found practice MEE gave a decreasing return on investment. Once you've done a bunch, you're better off focusing on MBEs. I didn't actually write that many MEEs and, instead, just studied the Themis model answers (I highlighted them, marked them up and deleted all fact-specific parts). I studied those hard, but didn't practice the answers as such.

Another thing is that you will inevitably get MEE questions on exam day that you've never seen before and that you'll need to BS your way through. Two of my six MEEs were completely out of the blue and I had to make up the answers. I ended up doing really well because I was able to just keep applying facts to (what I assumed was) the law and I just kept writing. In other words, it's not so much the content as it is the structure and form and the amount. I guess if you're comfortable with that, then you should be ok. But I wouldn't recommend practicing MEEs at the expense of MBEs.

Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:31 pm

yennem wrote:Mixed-subject MBE PQs Session 15 was brutal.... There goes my confidence... lowest score yet 52%
Don't lose hope. Pretty sure I scored a few in the low 50s around this time last year. Ended up getting 85th percentile on MBE. Good luck and stay the course!

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Got 88% in the last MBE set this morning. Feeling okay about the whole thing. Just want it to be over now!

Good luck to everyone next week. You'll be fine - remember you basically just need to be on the 33rd percentile to pass.

Thanks to Neil and other previous takers for their helpful comments ITT, your content has been great!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Lancair wrote:Got 88% in the last MBE set this morning. Feeling okay about the whole thing. Just want it to be over now!

Good luck to everyone next week. You'll be fine - remember you basically just need to be on the 33rd percentile to pass.

Thanks to Neil and other previous takers for their helpful comments ITT, your content has been great!
Any time!! Good luck guys! Soon it'll all just be a memory.... :)

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:29 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
Lancair wrote:Got 88% in the last MBE set this morning. Feeling okay about the whole thing. Just want it to be over now!

Yea, I am seriously so over studying... Cant wait to get this over with!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:42 am

yennem wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

Yea, I am seriously so over studying... Cant wait to get this over with!
Second that - can't wait for this to be over. Good luck everyone.

washington_mystics

New

Post by washington_mystics » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks for all the advice and commiseration along the way, good luck everyone!

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Albany is cold and getting colder. Anyone coming up here - dress warmly!

yennem

New

Post by yennem » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Florida is hot... but the exam room can get cold.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”