THEMIS DISCUSSION - FEBRUARY 2019 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
inyourhonor07

New

Re: THEMIS DISCUSSION - FEBRUARY 2019

Post by inyourhonor07 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:08 am

Anyone on mixed sets yet? I'm hanging around the 64-68% range on the first two sets. It's above the the goal, but I'm pretty sure it's not passing.

Psmith0717

New

Post by Psmith0717 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:20 am

I’ve done the first two mixed sets and I’m scoring around the same. I’m using the additional mbe books I bought to practice and I’ll return to the mix sets next week. I want to be around 70-80 by test day.

inyourhonor07

New

Post by inyourhonor07 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Psmith0717 wrote:I’ve done the first two mixed sets and I’m scoring around the same. I’m using the additional mbe books I bought to practice and I’ll return to the mix sets next week. I want to be around 70-80 by test day.
What additional MBE books? Ya, I'm aiming for at least 70. It feels impossible right now, but we still have a month left. Are you looking over any essay stuff right now? I don't write full essays and I honestly haven't reviewed my lecture handouts (with the exception of Secured Transactions) once. I'm not sure when I'll go back and review them.

Psmith0717

New

Post by Psmith0717 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:31 pm

inyourhonor07 wrote:
Psmith0717 wrote:I’ve done the first two mixed sets and I’m scoring around the same. I’m using the additional mbe books I bought to practice and I’ll return to the mix sets next week. I want to be around 70-80 by test day.
What additional MBE books? Ya, I'm aiming for at least 70. It feels impossible right now, but we still have a month left. Are you looking over any essay stuff right now? I don't write full essays and I honestly haven't reviewed my lecture handouts (with the exception of Secured Transactions) once. I'm not sure when I'll go back and review them.
I’ve been using the Kaplan MBE book ( friend gave it to me) and The Multistate Goat( Amazon) and they have helped improve my score. Strategies and Tactics ( bought from Amazon) is good but Themis uses the same questions so it’s not as helpful. I’ve finished reviewing the Themis essays and I’m going to make a document tonight with all of the rule statements so I can start reviewing. I’ve been spending majority of my time on mbe. I’m going to start reviewing essay topics/MPT this weekend. I’m just going to keep at it and as long as I’m at 70 on game day that’s all that matters- a lot can happened in a month. I haven’t reviewed the lecture handouts I haven’t had time so I’ll spend these last weeks reviewing so don’t feel bad.

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Psmith0717 wrote:
inyourhonor07 wrote:
I’ve been using the Kaplan MBE book ( friend gave it to me) and The Multistate Goat( Amazon) and they have helped improve my score. Strategies and Tactics ( bought from Amazon) is good but Themis uses the same questions so it’s not as helpful. I’ve finished reviewing the Themis essays and I’m going to make a document tonight with all of the rule statements so I can start reviewing. I’ve been spending majority of my time on mbe. I’m going to start reviewing essay topics/MPT this weekend. I’m just going to keep at it and as long as I’m at 70 on game day that’s all that matters- a lot can happened in a month. I haven’t reviewed the lecture handouts I haven’t had time so I’ll spend these last weeks reviewing so don’t feel bad.
What should be the gameplan for the last month ideally, I feel terribly behind at only 45% completion so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Psmith0717

New

Post by Psmith0717 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:16 pm

DodgerBlues1991 wrote:
Psmith0717 wrote:
inyourhonor07 wrote:
What should be the gameplan for the last month ideally, I feel terribly behind at only 45% completion so far.[/quot

Are you studying full time? I started back in November and I’m at 70% but I’m working full time. Are you in UBE state? It just depends, if you are studying full time I think you’re fine they told us to just have 75% completed. If you’re working, I would focus on practice mbe, essays etc this last month. I’m just focusing on MBE, Essays and MPT review for this last month. I learned better through practice though. I focus on my weak areas on the weekends.

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Psmith0717 wrote:
DodgerBlues1991 wrote:
Psmith0717 wrote:
inyourhonor07 wrote:
What should be the gameplan for the last month ideally, I feel terribly behind at only 45% completion so far.[/quot

Are you studying full time? I started back in November and I’m at 70% but I’m working full time. Are you in UBE state? It just depends, if you are studying full time I think you’re fine they told us to just have 75% completed. If you’re working, I would focus on practice mbe, essays etc this last month. I’m just focusing on MBE, Essays and MPT review for this last month. I learned better through practice though. I focus on my weak areas on the weekends.
Repeat taker, started early december, for the most part have gone through subjects creating an outline for them each from the lecture notes, issue spoting 3-4 essays, writing 1-2 and doing all the mbe pq's for the subject, almost done with CIV PRO. looking at being done with reveiw of all subjects by Feb 7th. PLan was after that day to just do essays, mbe, and review the rest of the way, God willing.

inyourhonor07

New

Post by inyourhonor07 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:44 pm

Got another 68% on my 3rd mixed set today and the goal is 70%. I studied MBE subjects for half the day and I still can't get to 70%. Anyone have any advice? I sort of feel stuck in the same scores no matter how much I study.

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 pm

How have people found the grading on the graded essays? Hopefully this doesn't sound too ridiculous but I really felt I didn't do that well on the 2 graded MPTs in terms of structure and timing but have been given 6s on both... Is it possible my grader is really lenient? Or am I just overestimating what is expected?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:42 am

sg.cambs wrote:How have people found the grading on the graded essays? Hopefully this doesn't sound too ridiculous but I really felt I didn't do that well on the 2 graded MPTs in terms of structure and timing but have been given 6s on both... Is it possible my grader is really lenient? Or am I just overestimating what is expected?!
On the basis that the model answers given by Themis are "6", I think my graded essays have been fairly graded. You can always ask your grader the question through the message system.

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:49 am

Lancair wrote:
sg.cambs wrote:How have people found the grading on the graded essays? Hopefully this doesn't sound too ridiculous but I really felt I didn't do that well on the 2 graded MPTs in terms of structure and timing but have been given 6s on both... Is it possible my grader is really lenient? Or am I just overestimating what is expected?!
On the basis that the model answers given by Themis are "6", I think my graded essays have been fairly graded. You can always ask your grader the question through the message system.
Will do! Thanks

Marlene Stanger

New

Post by Marlene Stanger » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm taking Themis for the California bar exam. I just got back my latest graded essay. The average student essay score (I'm unsure if it is the state or national average) is listed next to your personal essay score. The average student score has never been above a 63. In California, a 65 is required to pass. My scores have been averaging between 55-60.

I'm finding this extremely disheartening. Does anyone have any insights into the scoring process for CA essays?

I'm also at a disadvantage as I graduated many years ago when exams were handwritten, so I'm not a fast typer.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Marlene Stanger wrote:I'm taking Themis for the California bar exam. I just got back my latest graded essay. The average student essay score (I'm unsure if it is the state or national average) is listed next to your personal essay score. The average student score has never been above a 63. In California, a 65 is required to pass. My scores have been averaging between 55-60.

I'm finding this extremely disheartening. Does anyone have any insights into the scoring process for CA essays?

I'm also at a disadvantage as I graduated many years ago when exams were handwritten, so I'm not a fast typer.

Any tips would be most appreciated.
I'd speak to Themis about what practice essay scores convert to passing in CA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:24 am

inyourhonor07 wrote:Anyone on mixed sets yet? I'm hanging around the 64-68% range on the first two sets. It's above the the goal, but I'm pretty sure it's not passing.
Just finished the first three: 82%, 71%, 74%.

FWIW, if you read some of Joe Seperac's posts his view is that 65% in practice is (reliably) passing on the MBE outside of Cali.

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 am

Lancair wrote:
inyourhonor07 wrote:Anyone on mixed sets yet? I'm hanging around the 64-68% range on the first two sets. It's above the the goal, but I'm pretty sure it's not passing.

FWIW, if you read some of Joe Seperac's posts his view is that 65% in practice is (reliably) passing on the MBE outside of Cali.
what would be passing in CA? lol

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:23 am

I'm a repeat taker on professional responsibility now, but I heard there are no new rules should I rewatch the lecutre, or? What did everyone else use for professional responsibility.

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:26 pm

DodgerBlues1991 wrote:
Lancair wrote:

From another thread:
JoeSeperac wrote:
JakeTappers wrote:Obviously, this begs the question, what should be shooting for in California?
California is tough. I see examinees fail CA with MBE scores that would result in a pass in any other state. One examinee I recently spoke to failed CA with an MBE of 160 (this is insane).

To get a 1440 on the F19 MBE, I estimate you need to answer 74% correct. So to be safe, you really want to be close to 80% correct.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

inyourhonor07

New

Post by inyourhonor07 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:52 pm

Lancair wrote:
DodgerBlues1991 wrote:
Lancair wrote:

From another thread:
JoeSeperac wrote:
JakeTappers wrote:Obviously, this begs the question, what should be shooting for in California?
California is tough. I see examinees fail CA with MBE scores that would result in a pass in any other state. One examinee I recently spoke to failed CA with an MBE of 160 (this is insane).

To get a 1440 on the F19 MBE, I estimate you need to answer 74% correct. So to be safe, you really want to be close to 80% correct.
80% is fucking wild. I hope all of you become rich after going through that. I've been studying while working full-time since November and I'm still struggling to get 70% on mixed sets. I'm jealous of everyone taking the UBE, but I'm also really glad I'm not taking CA.

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:21 pm

inyourhonor07 wrote:
Lancair wrote:
DodgerBlues1991 wrote:
Lancair wrote:

From another thread:
JoeSeperac wrote:

80% is fucking wild. I hope all of you become rich after going through that. I've been studying while working full-time since November and I'm still struggling to get 70% on mixed sets. I'm jealous of everyone taking the UBE, but I'm also really glad I'm not taking CA.

A lot of my friends who ended up passing CA in july were scoring between 65-70 on adapti bar. i mean who knows what happens test day, but I've heard as long as you can get to 75 consistently you should feel good. Unfortunately im stuck in the 65-70 range.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm

Good god. I’m at 63% and rarely going above that. I think I could get 5% between now and then. But 12...no way (unless adaptibar is somehow screwing me)

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:16 pm

inyourhonor07 wrote:
Lancair wrote:
DodgerBlues1991 wrote:
Lancair wrote:

From another thread:
JoeSeperac wrote:

It's particularly insane when the MBE is designed for the average test-taker - who you presume to be "minimally competent" - to get 63% correct. To have passing 10% above that that is just cruel and unusual.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scarletpiggy

New

Post by scarletpiggy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Currently going around 80% with adapti bar. Took an OPE and scored 86.. okay I'm ready to kill it...wait we got PT and essays???? Sigh. This is never ending....

washington_mystics

New

Post by washington_mystics » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Got slapped in the fact with burnout when I saw two graded essays and four practice essays on assignment today, wouldn't think I'd be looking so forward to review day Monday.

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:05 am

How much do people feel they have memorised at this stage? I feel pretty limited on most of the MEE-only subjects (think I'm fine for MBE), so expecting to have to fluff parts of the essays on Tuesday.

I've been working full time so slightly behind in terms of practice essays/graded essays, but want to do the exams as scheduled as we have public holidays on tues/weds. Just worried I'm supposed to be able to recall everything already :shock:

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 am

sg.cambs wrote:How much do people feel they have memorised at this stage? I feel pretty limited on most of the MEE-only subjects (think I'm fine for MBE), so expecting to have to fluff parts of the essays on Tuesday.

I've been working full time so slightly behind in terms of practice essays/graded essays, but want to do the exams as scheduled as we have public holidays on tues/weds. Just worried I'm supposed to be able to recall everything already :shock:
On the practice essays on MBE subjects I can remember the rule or something close to it about 3/4 times. God help me if we get a wills distribution or conflict of laws question though (pray for vested rights).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”