Advice needed for IL bar - 2.0 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tinabelcher

New

Advice needed for IL bar - 2.0

Post by tinabelcher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello all,

I just found out that I failed the IL bar exam this July. I would love some guidance on moving forward for February from those who have passed.
My score report is as follows:
MBE Scale: 127.6
MEE + IEE: 129.7
Total Scale Score: 258 (266 needed to pass)

I took the MO bar in 2015 after graduating law school. I used Kaplan and was 15 points away. I can honestly say that I did not know a fraction of the law in 2015 that I know sitting here today. The Kaplan method did not work for me, and I knew 1 month out that I would not pass the exam.
Since then, I have had my son and studied over a long period of time, using Critical Pass flash cards, Adaptibar (I did about 1,700 questions with about 60% average), and Kaplan books with IL specific outlines from friends.

This time, I need to bulletproof my MBE score. My essays were almost all 4s, I had a 6.7 on my MPT and two random "1" and "2" essays.

I am looking at Themis, as I have heard very good things and they have a published pass rate. I am also looking at JD Advising's MBE-specific program.
I need something to get me over the hump and teach me not only the black letter law, but also strategy, as I believe that is a large part of success on the MBE. Does anyone have advice on Themis? Jd Advising for a repeat-taker? I would only have 3-4 hours per day to study while working and parenting.

I truly thought I passed and had two very good job opportunities riding on my results. If I can turn this around and pass in February, it will change mine and my son's lives. Thank you in advance for any help out there!

Findedeux

Bronze

Re: Advice needed for IL bar - 2.0

Post by Findedeux » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:22 pm

The best strategy advice I've seen is from Emmanuel's.

You would think that a whole course would have more strategy than one book but that really does not seem to be the case.

tinabelcher

New

Post by tinabelcher » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Findedeux wrote:The best strategy advice I've seen is from Emmanuel's.

You would think that a whole course would have more strategy than one book but that really does not seem to be the case.

That is very helpful! I actually have it in my Amazon cart now. I will go ahead and buy it!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:01 am

Seconding this. Make sure you get the latest (I think 6th) edition.

I've been told that the Rigos book is good for the MPT. It used to be cheap, but now the prices may've shot up (like to the $60-100 range). If you can get something for less, buy it. The MPT gets better wth practice. If you do enough of them you'll be way ahead of the pack - because most people only do between 1-3 before the exam).

If you go with Themis, trust the process. Don't be afraid to modify it to your needs. If you already know more about a subject, feel free to focus more on practice (as opposed to memorization). That'll help you on time. If you're getting in the 250s "with deficient knowledge," you'll crush the exam with targeted focus. Model answers should be available for free online. You can use those for format, and whatever you can do - see if you can get someone to give you feedback on your essays.

Take breathers if you need to, but make sure you do something (even if it's reading a model answer or answering a few questions) every day. You don't have the time to study like the traditional bar applicant. Focus on what's necessary, and you'll be fine.

My $.02

Pawprynt

New

Post by Pawprynt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 am

I took Themis for this past July 2018 IL bar and passed. Don’t know my score but from looking at the model answers, pretty sure my MBE saved me - those essays were tough for me but I felt good about the MBE.

I worked through most of Themis (skipped tax and commercial paper etc) and I really focused hard on the MBE subjects for essays. My biggest issue was that I had a harsh grader who gave me 2’s and 3’s but when I would look at my answer to model answers for graded and nongraded, I was in the ballpark.

I bought the MEE one sheets from JD advising and those helped with my essays. I also wrote down the rule of law for every single mbe question I got wrong or guessed on. It helped me a ton!

Lastly I used the Emmanuel strategies and tactics book (rented from Barnes and Noble for less than $30). I used those mainly for when I would be driving and have someone read me a question or when my mom wanted to “help” me study. Not as productive cause it’s so hard to answer those questions when read aloud lol!

I didn’t waste much time doing practice MPTs either, but that was just me. I had other supplements I bought too like critical pass but I didn’t use as much. Definitely think Themis, JD advising mee sheets, and Emmanuel saved me! Writing things out (handwriting) really helped me learn!

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tinabelcher

New

Post by tinabelcher » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:16 pm

b290 wrote:

Seconding this. Make sure you get the latest (I think 6th) edition.

I've been told that the Rigos book is good for the MPT. It used to be cheap, but now the prices may've shot up (like to the $60-100 range). If you can get something for less, buy it. The MPT gets better wth practice. If you do enough of them you'll be way ahead of the pack - because most people only do between 1-3 before the exam).

If you go with Themis, trust the process. Don't be afraid to modify it to your needs. If you already know more about a subject, feel free to focus more on practice (as opposed to memorization). That'll help you on time. If you're getting in the 250s "with deficient knowledge," you'll crush the exam with targeted focus. Model answers should be available for free online. You can use those for format, and whatever you can do - see if you can get someone to give you feedback on your essays.

Take breathers if you need to, but make sure you do something (even if it's reading a model answer or answering a few questions) every day. You don't have the time to study like the traditional bar applicant. Focus on what's necessary, and you'll be fine.

My $.02
Thank you so much for your input! That is very encouraging. Your comment seriously made me feel a little better about the prospect of re-taking this exam and also helped me in terms of strategy!

tinabelcher

New

Post by tinabelcher » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Pawprynt wrote:I took Themis for this past July 2018 IL bar and passed. Don’t know my score but from looking at the model answers, pretty sure my MBE saved me - those essays were tough for me but I felt good about the MBE.

I worked through most of Themis (skipped tax and commercial paper etc) and I really focused hard on the MBE subjects for essays. My biggest issue was that I had a harsh grader who gave me 2’s and 3’s but when I would look at my answer to model answers for graded and nongraded, I was in the ballpark.

I bought the MEE one sheets from JD advising and those helped with my essays. I also wrote down the rule of law for every single mbe question I got wrong or guessed on. It helped me a ton!

Lastly I used the Emmanuel strategies and tactics book (rented from Barnes and Noble for less than $30). I used those mainly for when I would be driving and have someone read me a question or when my mom wanted to “help” me study. Not as productive cause it’s so hard to answer those questions when read aloud lol!

I didn’t waste much time doing practice MPTs either, but that was just me. I had other supplements I bought too like critical pass but I didn’t use as much. Definitely think Themis, JD advising mee sheets, and Emmanuel saved me! Writing things out (handwriting) really helped me learn!

Good luck!
Awesome advice! I am going to register for Themis this week, as soon as I can get the money for it. I will also buy the strategies and tactics book, but had no idea you could rent it- good tip! I have critical pass flashcards already. I didn't practice any MPT's either, but my score was fairly good.

I think I had a harsh grader as well after looking at mine. I will pick up the JD advising one-sheets. I used their MEE predictions for the last 2 exams and they were almost completely accurate. I will write out my answers too. Here's hoping this all puts me where I need to be! Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”