Taking Second State's Exam (UBE --> CA) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MAwannabeCAatty

New

Taking Second State's Exam (UBE --> CA)

Post by MAwannabeCAatty » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post-- I've really appreciated following along and getting advice from this forum during bar prep. I just passed the July 2018 bar in a UBE jurisdiction. I am now considering taking CA because my partner is there.

Questions for everyone-- how should I study? For how long? When should I start studying for February?

For context, I am starting a big law job next month so expect to get quite busy. But I also think I am better off taking it sooner rather than later, while MBE info at least is still fresh. And is it worth paying for a whole new prep course? I'm a bit hesitant to spend that much money, but I also felt very confident following a plan (I did Barbri the first time around). Does anyone have input on the Barbri Attorney's course? For further context, I passed by a considerable margin (348) with a 170 MBE, so I am hoping I won't have to spend TOO much time reviewing MBE material and can focus on CA-specific law for the essays.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Re: Taking Second State's Exam (UBE --> CA)

Post by Nightcrawler » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:00 am

If I were you, I would focus on something like SmartBarPrep for the written portion (which focuses only on the topics that they have tested in the past - to maximize efficiency as you will score high on the MBE), and something to keep the MBE fresh. You got a 170 on the MBE so do that! I would suggest Adaptibar on top of my mind but it may be easier than what you did already. I definitely would not pay for a whole course like barbri or stuff like that.

tjohns28

New

Post by tjohns28 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm

MAwannabeCAatty wrote:Hi all,

This is my first post-- I've really appreciated following along and getting advice from this forum during bar prep. I just passed the July 2018 bar in a UBE jurisdiction. I am now considering taking CA because my partner is there.

Questions for everyone-- how should I study? For how long? When should I start studying for February?

For context, I am starting a big law job next month so expect to get quite busy. But I also think I am better off taking it sooner rather than later, while MBE info at least is still fresh. And is it worth paying for a whole new prep course? I'm a bit hesitant to spend that much money, but I also felt very confident following a plan (I did Barbri the first time around). Does anyone have input on the Barbri Attorney's course? For further context, I passed by a considerable margin (348) with a 170 MBE, so I am hoping I won't have to spend TOO much time reviewing MBE material and can focus on CA-specific law for the essays.
Definitely talk to Barbri. When I spoke to them about doing this (took J18 in NY) they told me that if your firm paid for your bar exam course you can take a second course in another jurisdiction for free within 3 years. I doubt you'd need a full course again, but a free course is a free course.

MAwannabeCAatty

New

Post by MAwannabeCAatty » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks so much! Both of these responses are really helpful. Apparently the extra state for Barbri was a specific package I didn't have, but I can do an extra course for $1500. Considering that or just doing something like SmartBarPrep (which I hadn't known about, so thank you!) and using my old Barbri materials for the MBE (I didn't return them).

If anyone else has suggestions for CA study materials, let me know!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 pm

With that extremely high MBE score, you've got a great shot at passing California if you can pull off a score like that again. Get a hold of Barbri's Conviser Mini Review and learn the California specific law while reviewing old essays that they have posted on their website. You might also want to practice some PTs.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tjohns28

New

Post by tjohns28 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:55 pm

MAwannabeCAatty wrote:Thanks so much! Both of these responses are really helpful. Apparently the extra state for Barbri was a specific package I didn't have, but I can do an extra course for $1500. Considering that or just doing something like SmartBarPrep (which I hadn't known about, so thank you!) and using my old Barbri materials for the MBE (I didn't return them).

If anyone else has suggestions for CA study materials, let me know!

SmartBarPrep is amazing. Same with Adaptibar. I cannot say enough great things about both of those. They did a far better job of pointing out likely to be tested topics than Barbri and pretty much every other resource I tried. I have admittedly not seen their CA outlines, but their UBE stuff was phenomenal. I'm already planning on using their materials when I take CA.

MAwannabeCAatty

New

Post by MAwannabeCAatty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I am 95% certain I am going to take CA in February.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Barbri Attorney's Course? Specifically for this situation (first bar was UBE, second bar will be CA) ideally, but any thoughts on the course are appreciated! I'm leaning towards spending the extra money to take a prep course again, just because I don't want the headache of figuring out my own study plan on top of starting a new job.

aquagold11

New

Post by aquagold11 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:03 am

Hi MAwannabeCAtty, I'm in the same boat as you -- taking the CBX this Feb after passing the Jul 2018 UBE in my jurisdiction. How did you get the $1500 quote from Barbri? I used them for my Jul 2018 UBE as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”