Kaplan v Themis — second time around Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Kaplan or Themis for UBE?

Kaplan
38%
Themis
62%

Total votes: 21

HarrisonK

New

Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Post by HarrisonK » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 am

I took Barbri this summer in preparation for the July UBE and I absolutely hated it for many reasons. I felt terribly unprepared for the UBE come test day. Assuming I need to take the bar again, I’m looking for prep course recommendations. Would you suggest Themis or Kaplan? Why? I have the critical pass flashcards and will use those in addition to any course I take this time around.

Jdsquared87

New

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Post by Jdsquared87 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 am

HarrisonK wrote:I took Barbri this summer in preparation for the July UBE and I absolutely hated it for many reasons. I felt terribly unprepared for the UBE come test day. Assuming I need to take the bar again, I’m looking for prep course recommendations. Would you suggest Themis or Kaplan? Why? I have the critical pass flashcards and will use those in addition to any course I take this time around.

Kaplan is cheaper and just as good if not better than barbri. I enjoyed the program, however, I would recommend buying Emmanuels Strategies and Tactics 7th edition for the mbes because neither bar prep program offers licensed NCBE questions and S&T has around 700 of them. It worked wonders on boosting my performance for the mbe as I saw a dramatic increase in my practice mbe sets. I will know for sure when nj releases their scores whether it truly helped me improve, but i feel like it did.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Just one correction--it's the 6th edition. I only know this because I'm always checking for new editions. :)

But agreed--pick up that book. And as to Kaplan or Themis, they both provide a very similar product, and I think you won't go wrong with either. Just always be willing to approach bar prep with a bit of independence--don't feel obligated to do exactly what they assign exactly when they assign it. Everybody has different needs.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Bambalover

New

Post by Bambalover » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 am

Hi, I am considering taking Kaplan and was wondering if Do they offer early access to the material?

KkayL

New

Post by KkayL » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 pm

I took Kaplan and I hated but I passed and apparently didn’t bomb the MBE since I got at least a 150 scaled. I think the MPT grading helped and reviewing numerous sample essay answers helped. The Kaplan reviewer hated all of my essays but I think their expectations were unrealistic. So, I’d recommend Kaplan. I did supplement with OneSheets for the MEE and MBE and it helped me see the forest from the many freaking trees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I am a foreign attorney and took the Cali bar in July. I used Kaplan and also used BarMax for the MBE questions. I liked Kaplan for the essay and MPT practice tests. No limit on graded essays and you could access sample essays. The MBE was made up as you know but then I also found the MBE part of the exam tough going.

With Kaplan you get access to the online material straightway which is basically the MBE question bank and essays. I have heard lots of people say they didn't like Barbri. As you have already taken the exam once I would go for Kaplan because at best you just need a refresher if you don't pass.

Bambalover

New

Post by Bambalover » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Blueplanet wrote:I am a foreign attorney and took the Cali bar in July. I used Kaplan and also used BarMax for the MBE questions. I liked Kaplan for the essay and MPT practice tests. No limit on graded essays and you could access sample essays. The MBE was made up as you know but then I also found the MBE part of the exam tough going.

With Kaplan you get access to the online material straightway which is basically the MBE question bank and essays. I have heard lots of people say they didn't like Barbri. As you have already taken the exam once I would go for Kaplan because at best you just need a refresher if you don't pass.

Did you take Kaplan’s LLM course or the regular one? Didn’t you use Kaplan’s MBE questions at all?

Bambalover

New

Post by Bambalover » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:33 pm

[quote="KkayL"]I took Kaplan and I hated but I passed and apparently didn’t bomb the MBE since I got at least a 150 scaled. I think the MPT grading helped and reviewing numerous sample essay answers helped. The Kaplan reviewer hated all of my essays but I think their expectations were unrealistic. So, I’d recommend Kaplan. I did supplement with OneSheets for the MEE and MBE and it helped me see the forest from the many freaking trees.[/

Congratulations! It seems that they and you did a decent work. Thank you!

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 am

Bambalover wrote:Did you take Kaplan’s LLM course or the regular one? Didn’t you use Kaplan’s MBE questions at all?
I took Kaplan's Bar Review course and used their MBE questions along with the BarMax licensed ones. In your case as you have already taken the exam once and therefore have a grounding in the subject you should be fine with Kaplan (assuming you don't pass but thinking positively you may pass and not need either!).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”