NJ Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Re: NJ Exam

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Jdsquared87 wrote:OMG I PASSED!!! I PASSED I PASSED!!!
Wow! Many congratulations! I hope I can have the same joy when NY releases!

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:07 pm

HarrisonK wrote:
Congrats! I did as well. Every state except for Alaska.
Many congratulations too! Awesome!

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 pm

spartan_ wrote:I PASSED!!! 286! WOOOOOO, but I am not certified, so still another hurdle lol. But the biggest hurdle is done!
And you my friend! Very well done!

Reedy174

New

Post by Reedy174 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Passed NJ!

MBE 149.9 :O
Overall: 302 (lolwut!!!)
I know that is a scaled scored, but unless the scale was +30, my score was WAY higher than anything I got in practice.

I felt really good about MEE/MPT. MBE scared me to death.

donnnnnne

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 am

HarrisonK wrote:
Congrats! I did as well. Every state except for Alaska.

I passed in every UBE state!!! So awesome! I'm going to waive into NY and DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:26 am

Reedy174 wrote:Passed NJ!

I know that is a scaled scored, but unless the scale was +30, my score was WAY higher than anything I got in practice.

donnnnnne

Yaass! That's incredible!! Congrats!!

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 am

For those who did well in the MEE/MPT portion, how close were your analysis to JD advisings? (See below). Also wondering how you guys/gals answered question #3!
Congrats, all!

The following MBE subjects were tested on the MEE:

Constitutional Law: whether Congress can commandeer the states, whether Congress can enact legislation under the Commerce Clause when it substantially affects interstate commerce

Contracts: whether UCC or common law governs the contract, contract formation, option contracts under common law, revocation of an offer, counteroffer

Evidence: hearsay (specifically, statement for the purpose of medical diagnosis/treatment, business records exception), relevancy, character evidence, habit evidence

Real Property (perhaps with Secured Transactions): zoning (grandfather clauses, conforming versus nonconforming use), priority regarding a lender who provides a future advance loan and someone that has a mechanic’s lien (Note: Some examinees have stated that a construction mortgage was tested, in which case this would be a Real Property/Secured Transactions question. We do not have enough information to determine if this is accurate as the questions have not been released.)
The following MEE subjects were tested:

Corporations: articles of incorporation, promoter liability, liability when someone attempts to incorporate in bad faith versus good faith
Trusts: duties of the trustee (loyalty, care), anti-lapse statute

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:57 am

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:For those who did well in the MEE/MPT portion, how close were your analysis to JD advisings? (See below). Also wondering how you guys/gals answered question #3!
Congrats, all!

Constitutional Law: whether Congress can commandeer the states, whether Congress can enact legislation under the Commerce Clause when it substantially affects interstate commerce

Contracts: whether UCC or common law governs the contract, contract formation, option contracts under common law, revocation of an offer, counteroffer

Evidence: hearsay (specifically, statement for the purpose of medical diagnosis/treatment, business records exception), relevancy, character evidence, habit evidence

Real Property (perhaps with Secured Transactions): zoning (grandfather clauses, conforming versus nonconforming use), priority regarding a lender who provides a future advance loan and someone that has a mechanic’s lien (Note: Some examinees have stated that a construction mortgage was tested, in which case this would be a Real Property/Secured Transactions question. We do not have enough information to determine if this is accurate as the questions have not been released.)

Corporations: articles of incorporation, promoter liability, liability when someone attempts to incorporate in bad faith versus good faith
I got a 160 on the MEE and my answers were pretty far off this list. I also relied on their predictions which I regretted immensely. I did not mention whether the UCC applies in the contracts questions, I analyzed the con law question as a issue regarding unconstitutional state grants, I did not analyze relevancy or the business records exception in the evidence question, and did not analyze good faith/bad faith for corporations. And for the property question (or whatever the hell that was), I totally BS'd an answer. I think I said that the business that wished to expand could do so to the same extent as the larger business (is that the grandfather thing?).

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:05 pm

max_p wrote:
Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:For those who did well in the MEE/MPT portion, how close were your analysis to JD advisings? (See below). Also wondering how you guys/gals answered question #3!
Congrats, all!

I got a 160 on the MEE and my answers were pretty far off this list. I also relied on their predictions which I regretted immensely. I did not mention whether the UCC applies in the contracts questions, I analyzed the con law question as a issue regarding unconstitutional state grants, I did not analyze relevancy or the business records exception in the evidence question, and did not analyze good faith/bad faith for corporations. And for the property question (or whatever the hell that was), I totally BS'd an answer. I think I said that the business that wished to expand could do so to the same extent as the larger business (is that the grandfather thing?).

Thanks! 160 is pretty kick-ass. This shows that either JD advising was off, there are multiple issues to rack up points from, content doesn’t matter as long as the format and reasoning are there, everyone else tanked....who knows!
Anyway, congrats.
Btw, how did you feel coming out of the essays? Did you think you passed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
max_p wrote:
Congrats, all!

Thanks! 160 is pretty kick-ass. This shows that either JD advising was off, there are multiple issues to rack up points from, content doesn’t matter as long as the format and reasoning are there, everyone else tanked....who knows!
Anyway, congrats.
Btw, how did you feel coming out of the essays? Did you think you passed?
I left the MEE thinking I failed and felt that way until the second I saw my results. It was the property question that really threw me off. I truly believe that formatting and clarity are more important than some people think. Also, finishing every essay and MPT is key.

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Congrats, all!

Pretty much spot on. I analyzed secured for that portion of the property question. I scored high enough to waive into Alazka and all other UBE states!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:00 am

max_p wrote:I got a 160 on the MEE and my answers were pretty far off this list. I also relied on their predictions which I regretted immensely. I did not mention whether the UCC applies in the contracts questions, I analyzed the con law question as a issue regarding unconstitutional state grants, I did not analyze relevancy or the business records exception in the evidence question, and did not analyze good faith/bad faith for corporations. And for the property question (or whatever the hell that was), I totally BS'd an answer. I think I said that the business that wished to expand could do so to the same extent as the larger business (is that the grandfather thing?).
Reedy174 wrote:Passed NJ!

donnnnnne
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
spartan_ wrote:I PASSED!!! 286! WOOOOOO, but I am not certified, so still another hurdle lol. But the biggest hurdle is done!
And you my friend! Very well done!
Nice! Wishing you all success in your careers! Congrats to you all!

spartan_, are you taking the MPRE next month? If so, good luck!

My $.02

HarrisonK

New

Post by HarrisonK » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:00 am

Any idea when we should expect NJ to publish July 2018's pass rate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Reedy174

New

Post by Reedy174 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 am

I think their old process was to release the scores to applicants and then publish the list of names and state pass rate about 72 hours later.

spartan_

New

Post by spartan_ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 am

b290 wrote:
max_p wrote:
spartan_, are you taking the MPRE next month? If so, good luck!

My $.02
No, I am done with the tests, took MPRE last year... not really too sure what I am missing since they did not tell me in the letter. I have contacted my reviewing attorney and will find out what is needed.

spartan_

New

Post by spartan_ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 am

Doesn't 58.8% seem pretty low?

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:37 am

spartan_ wrote:Doesn't 58.8% seem pretty low?
It depends on the number of re-takers and foreigners. In NY they break it down by ABA accredited first time takers—usually 85%.
Re-takers and foreign educated have a dismal pass rate

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spartan_

New

Post by spartan_ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:09 pm

I know this is not really relevant to bar passage, but can we get any judge (like a municipal court judge) to administer the Attorney's Oath. I called my local municipal court and they had no clue what I was talking about. :? :cry: Is the Bank of America Notary Public authorized?

I am aware that the instructions state this "In New Jersey, those who can administer oaths include notaries public, attorneys, and judges. You may, however, elect to take the oath in any United States jurisdiction, provided you do so before a person who is authorized by that jurisdiction to
administer oaths. If an attorney administers your oath, a seal is not needed; the attorney must simply enter his or her attorney ID number. "

rbfplacid

New

Post by rbfplacid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:07 pm

I just had a co-worker, a NJ licensed attorney sign it. I guess people usually make it more of a big deal with a ceremony, family attending, etc.? I just walked into her office, said it, signed it, mailed it. I'm not sure how organizing a ceremony works, and didn't realize I may be giving up that opportunity when I just had my co-worker sign it.

rbfplacid

New

Post by rbfplacid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:10 pm

I would say you could try calling the bar examiners, but I called 3 times and no one answered. I don't see why a bank notary would be any different from any another notary though.

Ohnt

New

Post by Ohnt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 am

I felt really happy reading all of the exchanges on here: spartan, jd, Harrison. From the moments of uncertainty to the the release of great news. This made me smile so much! Congrats guys! We are waiting on NY and sitting on tenterhooks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spartan_

New

Post by spartan_ » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Ohnt wrote:I felt really happy reading all of the exchanges on here: spartan, jd, Harrison. From the moments of uncertainty to the the release of great news. This made me smile so much! Congrats guys! We are waiting on NY and sitting on tenterhooks.
I am sure it won't be too long now! The waiting period is literally the worst.

And thanks to the people who responded about the Attorney's Oath. I just went to Notary Public office. I don't know if there is a ceremony? The instructions says we have to mail it to Board of Bar Examiner's, so I just did it the way instructions said to.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”