Laptop or Handwrite - Feb 2019 NY UBE Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
neem518

New

Laptop or Handwrite - Feb 2019 NY UBE

Post by neem518 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:47 pm

I'm trying to decide before it's too late to register whether or not I will take the laptop of handwrite. I have a MacBook Pro 2017 that I use for work as well. I just came across this article that the new 2018 MacBook Pros are not compatible with Examsoft - https://abovethelaw.com/2018/07/want-to ... m-too-bad/. I totally handwrote my bar exam abroad 20 years ago, used about 4 pens. I'm just not thrilled to do that again, as I'm on the OCD side and can't write if I know I might have to erase or cross out. On the other hand, I'm not a techy either, and every little thing that my computer does scares the hell out of me.

What are your consideration on laptop or handwritten exam?

Can I use a computer that has loads of data in it unrelated to the bar exam and don't have to delete everything?

JoeSeperac

Re: Laptop or Handwrite - Feb 2019 NY UBE

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:13 am

In 2015, approximately 90% of the annual candidates in New York took the bar exam on computers. My guess is that it is probably 95% today.
http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... echair.pdf

Since examinees type much faster than they write (even the fastest handwriters can only write a maximum of 25 words per minute while the slowest typest probably types a minimum of 35 words per minute), you have to plan what you say more carefully and avoid word vomiting at all costs. Planning the organization of your answer is particularly important for the MPT since you can’t cut and paste to easily re-organize your answer.

On the plus side, you won't have to worry about computer/software issues. Examsoft/Examplify is a really crappy program which has caused fits for many examinees, so at least you can rest easy knowing you won’t be experiencing the weird computer problems (changing fonts, weird symbols, no formatting, inconsistent tabbing, etc) that will give many other examinees extra stress on the day of the exam.

Since your computer doesn't work with Examsoft/Examplify and you are not techy, I would hand-write. For example, if you borrow someones laptop, you risk being unfamiliar with it and then losing time on the exam which the slow techies try to sort it out. I’m reasonably confident that the hand-written essays are graded separately so you won’t be compared to the much longer typed essays. Get a good pen with quick drying ink to keep the ink off your hands and the paper. Also, if you can't remember part of an answer, skip a few lines and then go back to it later (rather than having to cross things out, re-number items, etc).

FYI, I have a subscription site that contains banks of graded examinee MEE and MPT answers. It contains graded handwritten MPTs from almost 200 different hand-writing examinees based on MPTs ranging from 2010-2018. In all, there are over 800 graded examinee MPTs in these 21 MPT Comparison banks with 12 different MPT formats tested. You can also look at exactly passing MPTs to see what the “bare minimum” is for an MPT answer. Even the failing MPTs are instructive as to what not to do. There are also graded handwritten MEE answers from 2016-2018. Looking at the past answers from other hand-writers (especially the ones who wrote passing or above passing answers) will help you to better understand what is required of hand-writers. If you are interested, the site is https://ubeessays.com/

TLSposter1990

New

Post by TLSposter1990 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:35 am

The software locks you out of your computer so you can't access any files, but all of your stuff will be there after you exit the software.

To me, this isn't even a debate. The danger of tech issues on the day of the exam is a scary thought but it only happens to such a small % of people. Taking the exam on a computer is easier for you and will produce superior work product. Use your laptop.

neem518

New

Post by neem518 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:01 pm

TLSposter1990 wrote:The software locks you out of your computer so you can't access any files, but all of your stuff will be there after you exit the software.

To me, this isn't even a debate. The danger of tech issues on the day of the exam is a scary thought but it only happens to such a small % of people. Taking the exam on a computer is easier for you and will produce superior work product. Use your laptop.
Thanks! So I can bring my good old laptop and just make sure I have a charger? No need to delete anything, or stuff like that? Just be ready to hand write if laptop use for some reason is not possible?

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm

I hand wrote the 2018 July NY UBE because I messed up registering my laptop. I "finished" all the MPTs and MEEs right as time expired but had no time to go back to check or add anything. If I have to take the NY UBE again I would type it.

onionhead

New

Post by onionhead » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:04 am

i typed for UBE Feb 2018. i would definitely type. Allowed me to go back to add/remove stuff as and when my brain decided to recall things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”