Experiences of people who took the bar exam years after graduation? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Experiences of people who took the bar exam years after graduation?

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm

My situation: I'm a 2017 JD grad, but for a variety of reasons, I have not been able to sit for the bar exam yet. I hope to eventually take the UBE in NJ. I had registered for the bar this year (and was even approved for ADA accommodations) and was eligible to take it but sat out because I was doing very poorly in Themis and could not devote the necessary time and energy to it mainly on account of my full-time job. I have been clerking for a judge since August 2017 and will continue to do so until August 2019. From August 2019 to May 2021, I will be enrolled in a graduate program, so the earliest I can conceivably take the exam is July 2020.

Has anyone else taken the bar exam years after graduation? I'll be three years removed from law school at that point and nearly 8 years removed from the "core" 1L courses covered heavily on the bar exam (property, torts, contracts, civ pro, crim, etc.) For those of you in my boat, did it feel like essentially learning the concepts for the first time? Was your study strategy/approach any different than traditional bar takers who tackle the exam the summer after 3L? Did you pass on the first attempt?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Re: Experiences of people who took the bar exam years after graduation?

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:13 pm

I graduated law school 2001....passed the CA Bar July 2017. It took me 3 attempts to pass (July 2015, Feb 2016, July 2017) after being out of law school for so long.

Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:42 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:I graduated law school 2001....passed the CA Bar July 2017. It took me 3 attempts to pass (July 2015, Feb 2016, July 2017) after being out of law school for so long.
Congrats! What did you do in the intervening 16 year period? Do you have a law job now?

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 pm

I've worked with students 10, even 20 years out of law school. Your situation should not concern you at all.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Bodhicaryavatara wrote:
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:I graduated law school 2001....passed the CA Bar July 2017. It took me 3 attempts to pass (July 2015, Feb 2016, July 2017) after being out of law school for so long.
Congrats! What did you do in the intervening 16 year period? Do you have a law job now?
Thank you.

I was totally out of the legal field for all those years after law school graduation. Yes, I have a job in a small boutique firm (the principle was in my graduating class).

I told myself to quit fucking around with my hobbies and what not, and concentrate on passing the bar. I did it on the cheap:

1. two year old used Convisor mini-review book (about $150)
2. Adapti-bar subscription ($350)
3. Bar Essays subscription ($175)
4. Used Barbri in-class handouts ($50)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”