Question about Character and Fitness for Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nixy

Gold

Re: Question about Character and Fitness for Bar

Post by nixy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:38 am

It’s not the ABA that would check, it would be the state bar association of whichever state you applied for admission in. Go to the state bar website (or pick a couple likely states if you don’t know yet where you’d take the bar) and look up the application for taking the bar. It will show you what questions you will have to answer, which is what the state bar will investigate. I suspect you would have to disclose the non-academic violation, but if you weren’t suspended/expelled, it’s highly unlikely to keep you from getting admitted (unless it’s part of a pattern).

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 am

NIxy is correct here. You should not be concerned about whether or not the school has to report it. What's important is the wording of the question and whether you have to self-disclose regardless of what's on the transcript. Lack of candor in the C&F application is likely more egregious that anything you did as a college student that didn't even make it to your transcript.

NCBE Sample Q .18 is: "Have you ever been dropped, suspended, warned, placed on scholastic or disciplinary probation, expelled, requested to resign, allowed to resign in lieu of discipline, otherwise subjected to discipline, or requested to discontinue your studies by
any college or university?"

If your state question is similar, you would likely have to self-disclose.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:55 am

I reported everything, even the time I got caught with an empty corona bottle in my dorm freshman year, better safe than sorry. They’re not going to ding you for a minor infraction, but they’ll ding you for the omission

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”