C&F Question re: Employers Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
chaitealatte

New

C&F Question re: Employers

Post by chaitealatte » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 am

Thinking ahead to C&F stuff, before law school, I had two (non-legal) internships- one abroad (where other staff had limited English proficiency), one at a nonprofit that's since had so much turnover, I think only one person I actually worked with is still there. Just saw the NY bar asks for employment history for the last ten years, so I'd need to list both, but not get an affidavit, since they're non-legal-- but curious if anyone knows if the bar will contact all your other non-legal employers, and if so, should I be either reaching out to those employers in advance letting them know they'll get a call/email as a heads up? Mostly worried about the domestic nonprofit not verifying I worked there (like actually saying they don't remember me) since it was VERY small, their record-keeping was pretty shoddy, and I wasn't paid or anything so I don't know how/if they even keep track of past interns-- doubt their record-keeping is all that good. Any advice would be appreciated!

JoeSeperac

Re: C&F Question re: Employers

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:23 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Following is an interesting NCBE article about the "red flags" they look for in C&F applications:

https://seperac.com/pdf/Bar%20Examiner- ... n-2002.pdf

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:15 pm

chaitealatte wrote:Thinking ahead to C&F stuff, before law school, I had two (non-legal) internships- one abroad (where other staff had limited English proficiency), one at a nonprofit that's since had so much turnover, I think only one person I actually worked with is still there. Just saw the NY bar asks for employment history for the last ten years, so I'd need to list both, but not get an affidavit, since they're non-legal-- but curious if anyone knows if the bar will contact all your other non-legal employers, and if so, should I be either reaching out to those employers in advance letting them know they'll get a call/email as a heads up? Mostly worried about the domestic nonprofit not verifying I worked there (like actually saying they don't remember me) since it was VERY small, their record-keeping was pretty shoddy, and I wasn't paid or anything so I don't know how/if they even keep track of past interns-- doubt their record-keeping is all that good. Any advice would be appreciated!
I wouldn't worry about it. Just present what you can, and you should be fine. At worst, you might get a slight delay (because the investigators will verify everything - so all or your previous employers will be contacted). If that's what you're worried about, just expect to be sworn in a little later.
JoeSeperac wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. Following is an interesting NCBE article about the "red flags" they look for in C&F applications:

https://seperac.com/pdf/Bar%20Examiner- ... n-2002.pdf
Great read. Something I noticed:

"Sometimes the decision would hinge, in part, on whether the applicant had stable employment prospects (government or a reputable firm)."

I thought the "your denial prevents me from clearing my debt" argument would be the LAST one you'd want to present on appeal (as that's used...a million times). I know my main "red flag" is just that - debt, one that I'm prepared to address in the event of an initial denial. It sounds like you'd literally have to examples like "I was offered a job, and my employer's waiting for your approval."

I'm just glad to know that such an argument's considered.

My $.02

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:29 am

b290 wrote: Great read. Something I noticed:

"Sometimes the decision would hinge, in part, on whether the applicant had stable employment prospects (government or a reputable firm)."

I thought the "your denial prevents me from clearing my debt" argument would be the LAST one you'd want to present on appeal (as that's used...a million times). I know my main "red flag" is just that - debt, one that I'm prepared to address in the event of an initial denial. It sounds like you'd literally have to examples like "I was offered a job, and my employer's waiting for your approval."

I'm just glad to know that such an argument's considered.

My $.02

Are you applying in CA?

I have massive debt (all student loans). I mentioned in my C&F application that I am genuinely concerned about the debt, and plan to use my law license to obtain income to pay off the debt. I got approved in exactly 6 months.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:49 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:Are you applying in CA?

I have massive debt (all student loans). I mentioned in my C&F application that I am genuinely concerned about the debt, and plan to use my law license to obtain income to pay off the debt. I got approved in exactly 6 months.
Awesome! I'm not applying in CA though :( I prob should mention that since that's what I plan to do with my law license anyway. I could always amend my application. :lol: I'll remember it for my app when I update it this week. Thanks for that!

I just don't want the dreaded 2-year delay. It seems like that's reserved for the "special" cases, or those who didn't get back with the C&F Committee/Investigators as the number actually denied is really low. But of course, as with everything in this process, the wait makes one real pessimistic. Thanks again!

My $.02

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:52 pm

I am not in NY but had one employer who did not respond to a request and that held things up briefly. It was from a long time ago and they would likely have no staff from when I worked there. I did call their HR department and asked that they simply confirm that they no longer have any records relating to my employment. That was enough for the bar.

If your international employment was in Europe, you may find that employment records are destroyed much more quickly than in the US due in part to the GDPR. For that reason, it might be worth reaching out to former employers where you have a concern, even if only to establish who you should talk to if the bar has a problem getting a response.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”