federal professional responsibility v. state professional responsibility Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
leeyatong

New

federal professional responsibility v. state professional responsibility

Post by leeyatong » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi, guys:

I have a question about the federal professional responsibility RULE and state professional responsibility RULE. Could you please help me? Thanks.

which one is controlling? does it mean if the case is federal case, the federal rule is controlling, and if it is a state case, the state rule is controlling? Because for example, the federal rule prohibit the fee split with non-lawyers generally, but some states allowed it when there are some requirements satisfied. so which one is controlling? Thanks

Teoeo

Silver

Re: federal professional responsibility v. state professional responsibility

Post by Teoeo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:43 pm

read this article: http://www.fedbar.org/Resources_1/Feder ... px?FT=.pdf

Obviously in state court, state rules apply.

kyle010723

Silver

Re: federal professional responsibility v. state professional responsibility

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:25 pm

I am not aware of a "federal professional responsibility" beside courts' local rules when applicable because there isn't a "federal bar."

If by Federal PR you mean the ABA Model Rules, those are not the law, just like the UCC is not the law. Instead, they are adopted by individual states with some degrees of modifications.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”