CA Bar Retakers Strategy Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Happy88

New

CA Bar Retakers Strategy

Post by Happy88 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:14 am

I just took the July 18 exam and I’m 99.9% sure I failed it. I’m a foreign practicing lawyer and English is not my first language. I have never studied US laws, so studying for the bar itself was a huge breakdown/accomplishment for me.

Now I think I have a better idea on how to study each topic and where I’m weak at. My question is, should I just skip Barbri lectures this time around? And just stick to the “personal study plan” on Barbri and the mini review, magic sheets and AdaptiBar?

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Re: CA Bar Retakers Strategy

Post by Nightcrawler » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 am

Foreign 4th time taker here. Personally, I preferred ditching barbri entirely and just using adaptibar for the MBE, and smart bar prep for essays.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:27 pm

EDIT:

Also critical pass flashcards helped a lot in the beginning together with barbri's lectures (just to understand the law). However, the latter is time consuming and if I could go back I would just rely on SmartBarPrep's outlines and the big Barbri's books if you don't understand certain rules. Those books help also if you get questions wrong on Adaptibar and you don't understand why. All these supplements are pretty cheap compared to Barbri's tuition cost.

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:EDIT:

Also critical pass flashcards helped a lot in the beginning together with barbri's lectures (just to understand the law). However, the latter is time consuming and if I could go back I would just rely on SmartBarPrep's outlines and the big Barbri's books if you don't understand certain rules. Those books help also if you get questions wrong on Adaptibar and you don't understand why. All these supplements are pretty cheap compared to Barbri's tuition cost.
Yes. Barbri is crazy expensive, but since you still get another “course” if you fail. I wanted to see what’s the best strategy. I felt the lectures gave me the big picture but I didn’t trust them when they said “oh this is heavily tested” versus another thing. I just believe everything is heavily tested.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Happy88 wrote:

Yes. Barbri is crazy expensive, but since you still get another “course” if you fail. I wanted to see what’s the best strategy. I felt the lectures gave me the big picture but I didn’t trust them when they said “oh this is heavily tested” versus another thing. I just believe everything is heavily tested.
Agree with not trusting them. You never understand if they are referring to the MBE or the essays. Plus, those lectures are always a few years old.

Watch out for the retake course, it’s the same identical course. They basically extend your access to it for another 3 months. I didn’t like it the first time, and the second time wasn’t much different. If you like busy work and leave memorization for the last two weeks, barbri is your best option. If, like me, you need months to memorize and find busy work mostly useless, then follow what I did.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Think I'll be writing up a lengthy post soon, but just wanted to say keep at it and don't give up. I failed 5 times until I finally passed the 2/18 CA bar.

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:03 am

Nightcrawler wrote:
Happy88 wrote:

Agree with not trusting them. You never understand if they are referring to the MBE or the essays. Plus, those lectures are always a few years old.

Watch out for the retake course, it’s the same identical course. They basically extend your access to it for another 3 months. I didn’t like it the first time, and the second time wasn’t much different. If you like busy work and leave memorization for the last two weeks, barbri is your best option. If, like me, you need months to memorize and find busy work mostly useless, then follow what I did.
Thanks for this. I'll keep that in mind. I'll try to change my strategy this time and just do more practice instead of wasting my time trying to understand everything. Because truth is, I'll never understand everything, it's just too much. I was too focused to understand everything that I didn't practice enough at all (I did about 1000 MBE questions and 3 essays and 1 PT). However, I wasn't too concerned about the essay because I understood the "Strategy", same goes with the PT. I think what will mess me up is the MBE.

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:05 am

justanotheruser wrote:Think I'll be writing up a lengthy post soon, but just wanted to say keep at it and don't give up. I failed 5 times until I finally passed the 2/18 CA bar.
Please do! I'd love to read any strategies from candidates who passed the exam. This board has tremendous help, however, I only stumbled upon it literally 2 weeks before the exam. A lot of the stuff was too late for me to study or to strategize for. Hopefully next time should be better.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:27 am

Happy88 wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
Happy88 wrote:

Thanks for this. I'll keep that in mind. I'll try to change my strategy this time and just do more practice instead of wasting my time trying to understand everything. Because truth is, I'll never understand everything, it's just too much. I was too focused to understand everything that I didn't practice enough at all (I did about 1000 MBE questions and 3 essays and 1 PT). However, I wasn't too concerned about the essay because I understood the "Strategy", same goes with the PT. I think what will mess me up is the MBE.
Yeah, some things will never click. However, understanding well at least the basic concepts is a huge help in both memorizing faster and applying. For the essays I practiced very few just to lay down my writing/IRAC skills but I read 5-10 model answers per subject to understand how to approach different questions. For the PT I just practiced 5 each time looking at the MPTs from the Georgia bar website. It’s a lot f hard work but in the end you’ll understand what works for you and what doesn’t. Good luck! And hopefully this time I passed so the advice I gave you wasn’t totally wrong lol. Last time I passed the written part though, so it can’t be that bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Happy88 wrote:I just took the July 18 exam and I’m 99.9% sure I failed it. I’m a foreign practicing lawyer and English is not my first language. I have never studied US laws, so studying for the bar itself was a huge breakdown/accomplishment for me.

Now I think I have a better idea on how to study each topic and where I’m weak at. My question is, should I just skip Barbri lectures this time around? And just stick to the “personal study plan” on Barbri and the mini review, magic sheets and AdaptiBar?
Here is what I think you should do.

1. Hire a tutor who is a previous (or current) bar grader. Hire them only to review/grade essays (and/or PT's if you need them).

2. For 10 weeks leading up to the bar, treat bar prep as a full time job. 8 am - 5pm M-F.

3. Write no less than 2 essays per day. Do no less than 50 MBE's per day. Write no less than 1 PT every two weeks. Revise as needed based on your strengths/weaknesses.

This should be a minimum given your background if you want to put yourself in a position to pass if you do in fact fail.

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:58 am

LockBox wrote:
Happy88 wrote:I just took the July 18 exam and I’m 99.9% sure I failed it. I’m a foreign practicing lawyer and English is not my first language. I have never studied US laws, so studying for the bar itself was a huge breakdown/accomplishment for me.

Here is what I think you should do.

1. Hire a tutor who is a previous (or current) bar grader. Hire them only to review/grade essays (and/or PT's if you need them).

2. For 10 weeks leading up to the bar, treat bar prep as a full time job. 8 am - 5pm M-F.

3. Write no less than 2 essays per day. Do no less than 50 MBE's per day. Write no less than 1 PT every two weeks. Revise as needed based on your strengths/weaknesses.

This should be a minimum given your background if you want to put yourself in a position to pass if you do in fact fail.
Apologies for the super late reply.

Thank you so much for your suggestion, my only problem is I work full time and I can only take time off in the 3 weeks leading up to the exam. I guess once I know the score, I’ll try to balance between work and studying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”