Didn’t include headings on all my essays. Should I be concerned? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Elastigirl14

New

Didn’t include headings on all my essays. Should I be concerned?

Post by Elastigirl14 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 pm

I used IRAC but didn’t write headers to all the essay questions. Is that automatically going to lower the score?

Calbears123

Bronze

Re: Didn’t include headings on all my essays. Should I be concerned?

Post by Calbears123 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Lol was thinking the same. I hand wrote my essays and went up until time was called. No time for headers I was trying to get everything down as quick as possible.

gasfard

New

Post by gasfard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 am

Themis graders didn't seem to mind the lack of headings too much, so maybe it's okay?

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 am

I used tons of headers for my mpt but didn't for my essays. IRACed but totally forgot headings. Didn't use them with kaplan either and still got 4 out of 6. I don't know...I'm praying it's okay.

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am

Actually, i did use headings on almost all of my essays now that i think about it. But i dont think its a huge deal breaker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 am

Elastigirl14 wrote:I used IRAC but didn’t write headers to all the essay questions. Is that automatically going to lower the score?
TL;DR: Breathe.

You are fine, while I suppose I would categorize the use of headings as a "good idea" or a "best practice" there is no rule that says you need to do so. I have passed two exams using limited/no headings. In most cases, the only organization I really used was listing subparts (if there were any) for each question just so the grader knew I was answering subsection A, B, C... Otherwise, I used IRAC or CRAC format, answered the question presented and did perfectly fine. Take a deep breath, points are not awarded for headings nor are points deducted, it's about finding the key issues, appropriately analyzing them and coming to a proper conclusion - the heads certainly can "help" a grader work through your answers but are by no means required.

Yankees1313

New

Post by Yankees1313 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:14 am

I was always under the impression it doesn’t matter what conclusion you get, as long as you analyze and apply facts.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Yankees1313 wrote:I was always under the impression it doesn’t matter what conclusion you get, as long as you analyze and apply facts.
I think that may be overstating it - the conclusion is the least important of the factors, but it isn't like it doesn't matter at all. Finding the relevant issues and then applying the right law/exception to the facts is the key, using/knowing/applying the right analysis should generally lead to the right conclusion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”