Except CA, what’s the highest MBE you’ve heard of and still failed the bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Except CA, what’s the highest MBE you’ve heard of and still failed the bar?

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:39 am

In NY, I know one person who got a 150 MBE and still failed overall.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Re: Except CA, what’s the highest MBE you’ve heard of and still failed the bar?

Post by White Dwarf » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am

I've heard of low-150's failing in NY. You'd have to write some God-awful essays though.

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:09 pm

White Dwarf wrote:I've heard of low-150's failing in NY. You'd have to write some God-awful essays though.
He (or she) probably got sick and had to leave early...a 115 scaled MEE is around bottom 5%

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:09 pm

A 145 scaled score really is a magic number of sorts. At that point the ball is truly in your court and you'd have to score lower than average on the remainder of the exam to fail the test. There could be exceptions to this (for example, in California) but I'm writing more generally.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:57 pm

White Dwarf wrote:I've heard of low-150's failing in NY. You'd have to write some God-awful essays though.
people keep saying this, but I still don't know what a "god-awful" essay looks like

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Wild Card wrote:
people keep saying this, but I still don't know what a "god-awful" essay looks like
My essays. Good thing I took in CA, so I would have failed regardless

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Wild Card wrote:
I’m wondering that myself. But, I would imagine it to be really bad. A 110 scaled MEE/MPT would place you in the bottom 3.6% in J-17 http://www.ncbex.org/statistics-and-res ... tatistics/

In NY, close to 30% of July takers are foreign educated. https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamStats/201 ... sRates.pdf (I’m not sure how many are from English-speaking countries)

Basically, if you have a 156 MBE, you only need to do better than the bottom 4%—and your pool of “competitors” include 30% foreign-educated attorneys, 18% who are taking the exam for the 2nd, 3rd or x time, and an unknown number who panicked, blanked, got sick, are hung-over, did not study, etc.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:55 pm

A buddy of mine got in the 170s and still failed for Michigan :shock:

Then again MI has no MPT, and an essay section (worth 50%) comprising of 15 essays out of 24 possible topics.

MI also included a 2nd Amendment essay question that year. Unless you knew Heller and McDonald, you got a 0 for that one. #PureMichigan

My $.02

craftyboat

New

Post by craftyboat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

b290 wrote:A buddy of mine got in the 170s and still failed for Michigan :shock:

Then again MI has no MPT, and an essay section (worth 50%) comprising of 15 essays out of 24 possible topics.

MI also included a 2nd Amendment essay question that year. Unless you knew Heller and McDonald, you got a 0 for that one. #PureMichigan

My $.02

Your buddy must be lying. I doubt they would even *read* his essays if they saw his MBE was in the 170s (99%-ile).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:09 pm

craftyboat wrote:
b290 wrote:A buddy of mine got in the 170s and still failed for Michigan :shock:

My $.02

Your buddy must be lying. I doubt they would even *read* his essays if they saw his MBE was in the 170s (99%-ile).
Nope, they read all essays now. For years they used to not read essays for applicants that got over 150 (it was known as "multistating out"). But so many of those applicants got cute on their essays (like writing "f- you," etc.), the BLE abandoned that practice.

It also matched his studying (somewhat). He spent so much time on MBE studying, barely any on essays.

My $.02

shootdarnit

New

Post by shootdarnit » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Well damn, this post hurt my feelings. I got a 152 MBE in February 2018 and failed my state by 3 points (SC). I also know I totally blew my timing for the MPTs and left the second one like in shambles. Felt really good about the MEE but hey, I guess I was kidding myself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”