TX Feb 2019 Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
dtjustice

New

TX Feb 2019 Bar Exam

Postby dtjustice » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Welcome aboard for those starting to study for February 2019 Texas Bar Exam. I already have up my WhatsApp group, let me know if you would like to join!!

Debbie
325-267-1160
Make sure you have the WhatsApp app download and send me your first name!

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Re: TX Feb 2019 Bar Exam

Postby Bla Bla Bla Blah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:16 pm

I will either be taking this Feb, or next July depending on how busy life is at my firm/when I can get them to pay for it. But want in on this thread so I can follow any advice. I am curious if anyone knows if there is a non-big box strategy that correlates with how I approached the CA exam. It is essentially as follows:

1. Adaptibar computer/smartphone MBE testing.

2. Critical pass flash cards for MBE rule memorization.

3. How to Write for the CA Bar book with strategies, past tests, and examples/analysis for each one of those tests.

4. Leansheet 1-3 page outlines for state topics.

5. MP3 Lectures for all federal topics, which I religiously listened to in the background when I was not actively studying.

If there is a comparable study routine for Texas, I would love to hear about it and where I might look for the material!

MBernard

New

Postby MBernard » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:I will either be taking this Feb, or next July depending on how busy life is at my firm/when I can get them to pay for it. But want in on this thread so I can follow any advice. I am curious if anyone knows if there is a non-big box strategy that correlates with how I approached the CA exam. It is essentially as follows:

1. Adaptibar computer/smartphone MBE testing.

2. Critical pass flash cards for MBE rule memorization.

3. How to Write for the CA Bar book with strategies, past tests, and examples/analysis for each one of those tests.

4. Leansheet 1-3 page outlines for state topics.

5. MP3 Lectures for all federal topics, which I religiously listened to in the background when I was not actively studying.

If there is a comparable study routine for Texas, I would love to hear about it and where I might look for the material!

Honestly, your study approach seems solid and I think so long as you stay the course you should have no problem passing. I'll give you my brief background and offer some suggestions. I was an out-of-stater when I passed the February Texas Bar Exam (2018) first time and I'm currently waiting on the results for the July 2018 Ca bar exam. I created a very similar structured study plan to the one you are describing for both exams. The big difference (aside scoring and subject matter for the essays) for Texas is that you're going to have to also incorporate Procedure & Evidence exams (worth 10%).

I. Procedure & Evidence (10%): The best way to tackle the P/E exams is to look at past exams posted on the Texas Board of Law Examiners site. Generally, examinees find the civil portion of the exam easy (lot of repeat questions from older tests) whereas the criminal portion is no longer as straightforward. This is further complicated by the fact the Texas Board of Law Examiners is no longer offering answers to either section from what I heard.... If you look at past P/E exams you'll note the BLE offers the correct solutions for the older exams. The resource I used to pass this part of the test was a 2017 used filled-in copy of Barbri's lecture notes for Texas as well as the past exams posted by the BLE. Probably try to do 1 P/E every other day, you're bound to see repeat questions on test day. Expect some obscure questions for the CRIM section and also make sure you know Texas specific timing requirements/deadlines.

II. Essays (40%): I used CREAC form but I think IRAC works as well. The essay writing style is not nearly as formalistic as California and the Examiners are very direct about what they are asking for in the question. Topics such as Wills, Estate Administration, Trusts, Corporations, and Agency are nearly identical to California from what I recall. Texas is also a community property state which also should help you out. The crappy part is that the Texas Specific Subjects are tough probably more difficult in terms of subject matter than what is on the Ca bar exam. But the good news is the BLE repeats questions, sometimes verbatim, and they are very direct in terms of what they want you to write about. Oil and gas, commercial papers, Texas Consumer Law, Texas Family law, and Texas Property (not that bad) are ones out-of-staters should direct attention to. Secured Transactions, Contracts and sales will also probably be there and possibly Guardianships (Texas rotates between this and Trusts, only one will be present on the exam). Bankruptcy and Income Tax are more idle threats on the part of the BLE, if these topics are present it will be as a cross-over. I used both previous exams posted on the Texas BLE website as well as a copy of the 2017 Barbri lecture notes. I've never used leansheets as a resource. I'd recommend doing at least 2-3 essays per day during a 10 week study period if possible. Similar to Ca there's at or near as many testable subject areas (I left out a few). This is the worst part of the test (at least for me due to unfamiliarity w/subject matter) and similar to Ca you need to be prepared for anything.

III. MBE (40%): Adaptibar and Critical pass are great resources for this part, just stick with those. From what I recall, you want to hit a 135. I typically did 50 a day, same thing I did for Ca, and I scored in the 150s for TX. Since you passed Ca I'm sure you're fairly solid with this part.

IV. MPT (10%): Same as Ca, just worth slightly less. I didn't study for the MPT either for Ca or TX.

The only resource that I used for TX that differed from the materials you listed was the Barbri lecture notes book I purchased on eBay (also didn't use lectures or lean sheets). I'd also recommend Barbri's testing for Texas book as it'll have some of the older essays. The resources you used for Ca are definitely compatible with independent studying for TX (Adaptibar, Critical Pass, Past Exams on the BLE site). If you choose to use lean sheets make sure that they cover all the Texas subjects as well as the P/E subjects. Also, Texas is a three day test with the first day being a half day. Overall in comparison to Ca, you'll probably find a similarly structured study routine to be a good idea. So maybe like 2-3 essays, 50 MBEs and then a P/E every other day. In terms of difficulty I think TX might be similar to Ca but that might stem primarily with my initial extreme unfamiliarity with the Texas subjects, how exhausting the three day format is, and the fact that TX was my first bar exam. To be honest, I definitely felt more comfortable leaving the Ca bar exam but I haven't received the results yet (so who knows?). TX is totally beatable if you commit to it and as I mentioned the essay style is not nearly as formalistic or rigid like Ca . The 40% pass rate in Feb is definitely an anomaly, normally the numbers are a lot healthier. Best of luck, it's a trial but its worth it have a Bar license signed by all the members of the TX Supreme Court. That's probably the coolest part lol.

medusachu

New

Postby medusachu » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Checking in. Out-of-state 1st time taker.

Indianromeo

New

Postby Indianromeo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Here! Austin. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm studying mostly at the PCL at UT. Volunteering part-time so as to not go completely nuts. Using savings to keep myself going (long story). So that's my story!

If you're in Austin let's please hang and commiserate!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�