PA Bar Exam July 2018 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
fpkjd

New

Re: PA Bar Exam July 2018

Post by fpkjd » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:59 pm

Philly JD:

Congrats! Your method must have worked.

fpkjd

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm

fpkjd wrote:Philly JD:

Congrats! Your method must have worked.

fpkjd

Try not to worry, you'll crush it next time!!! I'm so sorry. Still waiting for my results here in nj and I've got this sinking feeling that i failed again too.

Philly JD congrats!!!! Well done!!

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Also passed... still checking the results page as I’m not sure I can believe it!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:09 am

PhillyJD wrote:I did it...finally I did it...I’m in shock right now.
Awesome! Another example of how determination pays off! Well done counselor!!
kms181 wrote:Also passed... still checking the results page as I’m not sure I can believe it!
Keep checking, and revel in victory! Well done counselor!!
fpkjd wrote:PA results are up. I didn't pass, again. Trying again in February.
Ugh, I've been in your shoes before. You eventually you'll get yours, just keep at it.

My $.02

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:30 am

I've registered for the February Bar and I repurchased ActiBar already and have been working on my MBE questions. I am also buying a tutoring course from Ameribar; I have a deposit in already. Waiting for my score report to see how far I was off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Well, I'm getting closer.

I'm at work. My wife read me my scores from the PA Bar Report.

My total score was 236. Not passing, but getting there. (Please don't laugh. It's much better than my scores for last February. I've been out of law school a few years, so I'm a bit rusty.)

I did 120.255 on the Essays, and 116 on the MBE, so I know where I have to concentrate my efforts now-on the MBE while keeping my essay-writing ability fresh and maybe boosting the essays on my next exam by about another 5 points. If I can do that, and get my MBE at 150 or above...I can finally pass.

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 pm

fpkjd wrote:Well, I'm getting closer.

My total score was 236. Not passing, but getting there. (Please don't laugh. It's much better than my scores for last February. I've been out of law school a few years, so I'm a bit rusty.)

I did 120.255 on the Essays, and 116 on the MBE, so I know where I have to concentrate my efforts now-on the MBE while keeping my essay-writing ability fresh and maybe boosting the essays on my next exam by about another 5 points. If I can do that, and get my MBE at 150 or above...I can finally pass.
Have you looked at/done Adaptibar? I've heard good things about it.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Funny you should ask-I'm using Adaptibar now!

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Is that what you used when prepping for July's exam?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Yes (well, a combination of Adaptibar and Ameribar). Just have to hit the practice questions harder and outline the applicable rules more. I think I'm having the hardest time with Civ Pro and Evidence. I feel I can get this if I just push a little harder.

philshady

New

Post by philshady » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:34 am

Anyone knows when the certification of qualification and the score report will be mailed to us? I live in downtown Philly and haven't received it as of now.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:21 pm

The mail is a bit funny. I live in lower Northeast Philly (Wissinoming) and my score report arrived in the mail yesterday.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 am

Note, just by math, you'd need a 30-point MBE increase just to be within striking distance. (in effect, your stated strategy = the 150 MBE Strategy). 20-25 point increases are doable with the right focus. However, 30+ point jumps basically mean completely shifting how you're doing the MBE. You'll need to go after your weak subjects (which you've already admitted Evidence and Civ Pro), and (now) know how to defeat NCBE's trickiness in questions. I'm not sure if PA gives you a subject MBE break down, but if it does, go over that. You might even want to, presuming you're starting now/soon, to do those subjects first.

Also, when you're roughly getting a little more than half the questions right (raw), time management's definitely an issue. You can take a mini diagnostic (like 20-50 questions), to further diagnose your strong & weak subjects, while making sure you finish in time (36 mins for 20 questions, 90 for 50). Then work accordingly. You definitely need to be done with each question within 1:45 mins, and preferably within a minute and a half. Time is literally your biggest enemy - even more than knowledge. That's where Adaptibar comes in. Use the charts to see how you're doing and adjust your studying accordingly.

Obviously, you're not going to ignore the essays and PT. I can't really give you much advice on those, as PA's got its own stuff. I'm not sure if you typed - if so, continue that.

Target your studying and you'll be celebrating come April. Good luck!

My $.02

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:22 am

b290:

That sounds like great advice, and thank you.

I've been working on questions in Adaptibar already-I have 48 questions done so far with an average correct rate of 59.8 percent. I'm also writing outlines from my other materials for the subjects I'm weak in-working on a Civ Pro outline now.

Thanks, again,

FPKJD

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:14 am

fpkjd wrote:b290:

That sounds like great advice, and thank you.

I've been working on questions in Adaptibar already-I have 48 questions done so far with an average correct rate of 59.8 percent. I'm also writing outlines from my other materials for the subjects I'm weak in-working on a Civ Pro outline now.

Thanks, again,

FPKJD
You're welcome. Good job on starting early. I remember Civ Pro being the bane of my existence :lol:

Another tip: review the question explanations for every question you do. That's where your real improvement happens. You'll notice what questions you're getting wrong/right and you'll eventually be able to narrow down your weak points from "Civ Pro" to "Venue" or "Jurisdiction". Doing the same for your strong subjects will help you on time (I think for my Con law questions, except 1A Q's, I was averaging about a minute per and north of 75%), which in turn would allow you the extra minute or two on the harder/longer questions. With that extra time, you'll get a lot more of those right (at 3+ mins/question, you should get almost all of those correct). It'll snowball from there, helping your confidence. Once you're at that point, it's game over - you've won. 8)

It might also be helpful to make a rule statement for the questions you do - just making the statements will help you internalize the rules that much quicker. The MBE uses the majority trend (or modern) so you can use your rule statements for your essay prep (and for your PA distinctions). The sooner it's all in your head, the sooner you can write/type it out, the more you can write/out, the more points you get. So even your MBE prep can improve your essays.

Rinse and repeat the above, and...boom! You've passed - congratulations. 8) Keep at it!

My $.02

weseewhat

New

Post by weseewhat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:11 pm

b290 wrote:

Note, just by math, you'd need a 30-point MBE increase just to be within striking distance. (in effect, your stated strategy = the 150 MBE Strategy). 20-25 point increases are doable with the right focus. However, 30+ point jumps basically mean completely shifting how you're doing the MBE. You'll need to go after your weak subjects (which you've already admitted Evidence and Civ Pro), and (now) know how to defeat NCBE's trickiness in questions. I'm not sure if PA gives you a subject MBE break down, but if it does, go over that. You might even want to, presuming you're starting now/soon, to do those subjects first.

Also, when you're roughly getting a little more than half the questions right (raw), time management's definitely an issue. You can take a mini diagnostic (like 20-50 questions), to further diagnose your strong & weak subjects, while making sure you finish in time (36 mins for 20 questions, 90 for 50). Then work accordingly. You definitely need to be done with each question within 1:45 mins, and preferably within a minute and a half. Time is literally your biggest enemy - even more than knowledge. That's where Adaptibar comes in. Use the charts to see how you're doing and adjust your studying accordingly.

Obviously, you're not going to ignore the essays and PT. I can't really give you much advice on those, as PA's got its own stuff. I'm not sure if you typed - if so, continue that.

Target your studying and you'll be celebrating come April. Good luck!

My $.02
This past exam was my third attempt and I passed. Overall, I had a 40 point increase. 10 points increase on MBE compared to February and a 30 point increase in essay. I used adaptibar, my leftover barbri materials, and used a private tutor. I attribute the overall essay point increase to completing every essay from 2010-2018 section by section and reading all the attached examiner analysis.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Good idea. I'm taking a similar approach. It's helping already with my MBE practice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”