PA Bar Exam July 2018 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Irisheyes24

New

PA Bar Exam July 2018

Post by Irisheyes24 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:28 pm

I didn’t see a thread yet, so how’s everyone feeling now that it’s over? Essays felt fairly straightforward— a few curveballs, but we did it.

It’s going to be a long wait until October!

PhillyJD

New

Re: PA Bar Exam July 2018

Post by PhillyJD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:42 pm

It’s definitely going to be a long wait till October...I thought the essays were good. The MBE on the other hand...that’s so difficult to gauge. Reason I’m not freaking out is my simulated MBE was great and the following tests were still good and I wasn’t sure how I did after those too. I remember using adaptibar and the sixth edition strategies and tactics for the MBE book and after each subject’s set of MBE questions, writing out a rule statement based on all 4 explanations for each question. Took forever. Then when I’d do the questions on adaptibar, if I got anything wrong or stumbled across anything, I’d write the explanation. Even with that there were questions that gave me pause. But essays...those weren’t bad for me. Once I know something I can write a hell of an essay on it. And I did so many of them that I wasn’t surprised by most of the stuff there. Just maybe one or two things I had to think about and for that I threw multiple things at it. How was it for you?

Irisheyes24

New

Post by Irisheyes24 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:55 pm

PhillyJD wrote:It’s definitely going to be a long wait till October...I thought the essays were good. The MBE on the other hand...that’s so difficult to gauge. Reason I’m not freaking out is my simulated MBE was great and the following tests were still good and I wasn’t sure how I did after those too. I remember using adaptibar and the sixth edition strategies and tactics for the MBE book and after each subject’s set of MBE questions, writing out a rule statement based on all 4 explanations for each question. Took forever. Then when I’d do the questions on adaptibar, if I got anything wrong or stumbled across anything, I’d write the explanation. Even with that there were questions that gave me pause. But essays...those weren’t bad for me. Once I know something I can write a hell of an essay on it. And I did so many of them that I wasn’t surprised by most of the stuff there. Just maybe one or two things I had to think about and for that I threw multiple things at it. How was it for you?

Pretty similar actually!! There were a couple sub-issues on the essays where it might have been a bit of a stretch, but overall I think I got enough points there.

I thought the morning MBE session was way easier than the afternoon, but I heard a few people saying the exact opposite, so idk what to make of that. My practice MBEs were all promising, I used Barbri and AdaptiBar. Overall I feel like I did enough to get 272, but I guess we never know what’s going to happen with the curve.

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:53 pm

Irisheyes24 wrote:
PhillyJD wrote:It’s definitely going to be a long wait till October...I thought the essays were good. The MBE on the other hand...that’s so difficult to gauge. Reason I’m not freaking out is my simulated MBE was great and the following tests were still good and I wasn’t sure how I did after those too. I remember using adaptibar and the sixth edition strategies and tactics for the MBE book and after each subject’s set of MBE questions, writing out a rule statement based on all 4 explanations for each question. Took forever. Then when I’d do the questions on adaptibar, if I got anything wrong or stumbled across anything, I’d write the explanation. Even with that there were questions that gave me pause. But essays...those weren’t bad for me. Once I know something I can write a hell of an essay on it. And I did so many of them that I wasn’t surprised by most of the stuff there. Just maybe one or two things I had to think about and for that I threw multiple things at it. How was it for you?

Pretty similar actually!! There were a couple sub-issues on the essays where it might have been a bit of a stretch, but overall I think I got enough points there.

I thought the morning MBE session was way easier than the afternoon, but I heard a few people saying the exact opposite, so idk what to make of that. My practice MBEs were all promising, I used Barbri and AdaptiBar. Overall I feel like I did enough to get 272, but I guess we never know what’s going to happen with the curve.
I honestly felt the same way about the morning MBE. I used adaptibar for the MBE in addition to that book I mentioned but all my essay work came from the Barbri essay books because they use real essays. Worked great for me because when I saw the corporations essay, a subject I knew at one point I was bad in, I almost laughed at the essay. It was too easy lol there definitely were a couple that made me pause for a bit but I was never clueless

titusandromedus

New

Post by titusandromedus » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:20 am

I thought the essays were fair, though I was honestly thrown off by the change in format (two separate contracts questions, a corporations essay in the morning, etc.) Also struggled with a couple subparts to essays, and late in the PM session I feel like I just ran out of gas. Essay 6 was definitely my weakest. Hopefully did well enough to skirt by with passable scores. Does anyone know when they'll post the sample answers online?

The MBE just kicked my butt. I was consistently getting between 70-80% on BarBri and NCBE practice tests but I felt like I only really knew the answer to maybe a quarter of the MBE questions. A lot I couldn't even narrow it down to two. My score will be entirely dependent on my ability to guess, I think. The next two months are going to be brutal!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:46 am

Overall, I feel about the same way as everyone else.

I think I did very well on the essays even though my responses to essays 5 & 6 were shorter than the others since I was running out of gas by the end of that day.

I felt much better prepared-I was using Actibar for the MBE and Ameribar for the essay subjects.

The morning MBE seemed like a nightmare, but I feel I got maybe 45-50% right in the morning-not as well as I was doing in Actibar. I think I made that up in the afternoon session MBE since it seemed very straightforward and I got done 25 minutes early-the girl sitting next to me finished 40 minutes early.

All in all, I think I'll get notice of a "pass" in October, but I'm not banking 100% on it, just in case...

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:45 am

The fact they asked contracts type questions in two separate essays didn’t surprise me... in the Barbri essay book, after looking at past essays from 2009, they always had corporations/partnerships questions with UCC questions and then of course property and contracts were always tested together. Employment and con law too. It just seemed too simple, a mootness question. I went into the exam expecting to have to do a massive interstate commerce analysis. The criminal law essay made me pause a little but I covered all the bases. I didn’t feel tired after the essay exam but when I got home and sat down, THEN it got me. Didn’t want to do anything but play PlayStation and watch Gotti. The MBE...I must have done a total of roughly 2500 questions in practice. Took a simulated MBE and didn’t know how I did, was preparing for the depression of seeing I did badly on that and having to go into overdrive for it (I was piss poor in property and Civ Pro during prep and up and down in contracts) and I found out I did well, better than the recommended raw score. Also, when I did the simulated and the three subsequent 100 question tests I’d always finish with time to spare and get high scores. It was the same thing with the real MBE, both sessions, which left me time to go back and look over questions I was unsure of earlier. I say all that about the MBE to say that’s what’s keeping me from freaking all the way out because I felt unsure about the MBE portion afterwards yesterday, yet when that happened during prep over the last couple weeks to a month I was consistently doing well. Lol I’m rambling now

WVTax21

New

Post by WVTax21 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:42 am

I felt the essays were fair. I took the exam in February and missed by only a few points, and I thought I did decidedly better. I didn't finish the PT, but I got through most of it. Last time, they asked us to draft a complaint, and I froze and went on tilt, so this was much better. The criminal law essay was a bit of a stretch for me, but I actually liked the switched format of the morning. I didn't think that the essays were too bad at all, but I definitely lost some steam on essay 6, and I had to outline part B of essay 6. Not to mention, I had to write the exam because of computer failure :( I know why it takes 3 months to grade now. Good luck to the poor soul reading mine.

For the MBE, I had the omg morning, not bad afternoon exam. I felt like I truly only guessed on 10 in the afternoon, but the morning was a bit more of a crap shoot. I did miserably in torts and Con law last time, but I felt I bumped them up. It's all dependent on the curve for me, I believe. I think it could go either way based on the MBE, but I felt minimally competent both days. It was so surreal because the girl beside me finished with like 1.5 hours left. She told me she wasn't trying. I think she's secretly a wizard.

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:05 pm

WVTax21 wrote:I felt the essays were fair. I took the exam in February and missed by only a few points, and I thought I did decidedly better. I didn't finish the PT, but I got through most of it. Last time, they asked us to draft a complaint, and I froze and went on tilt, so this was much better. The criminal law essay was a bit of a stretch for me, but I actually liked the switched format of the morning. I didn't think that the essays were too bad at all, but I definitely lost some steam on essay 6, and I had to outline part B of essay 6. Not to mention, I had to write the exam because of computer failure :( I know why it takes 3 months to grade now. Good luck to the poor soul reading mine.

For the MBE, I had the omg morning, not bad afternoon exam. I felt like I truly only guessed on 10 in the afternoon, but the morning was a bit more of a crap shoot. I did miserably in torts and Con law last time, but I felt I bumped them up. It's all dependent on the curve for me, I believe. I think it could go either way based on the MBE, but I felt minimally competent both days. It was so surreal because the girl beside me finished with like 1.5 hours left. She told me she wasn't trying. I think she's secretly a wizard.
Whoa, she finished the MBE with an hour and a half to go? That’s insane! I thought I was good, finishing with 20 minutes left haha well here’s hoping we all crushed it. The evidence question with the exceptions for why the prior alcohol parties could come in, the only ones I could think of were lack of mistake or impeachment purposes. I feel like there’s another one but I couldn’t think of it to save my life and I still don’t know now almost a week later

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cprit91

New

Post by cprit91 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Does anyone have the MBE book, or know anyone who does, who would be willing to sell it to an incoming Penn Law student (me)? Coffee and meeting would be nice, too!

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:49 pm

cprit91 wrote:Does anyone have the MBE book, or know anyone who does, who would be willing to sell it to an incoming Penn Law student (me)? Coffee and meeting would be nice, too!
I have the sixth edition Strategies and Tactics of the MBE book. Used but I didn’t write in it so you’re getting a clean slate

cprit91

New

Post by cprit91 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 am

PhillyJD wrote:
cprit91 wrote:Does anyone have the MBE book, or know anyone who does, who would be willing to sell it to an incoming Penn Law student (me)? Coffee and meeting would be nice, too!
I have the sixth edition Strategies and Tactics of the MBE book. Used but I didn’t write in it so you’re getting a clean slate
$20?

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 am

Are the MPTs for the PA bar the same as they would be for the UBE? I already have all the UBE books from Barbri, but Im just wondering if I need to get the essay book or if I also need to get an MPT book too?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Nicolena:

Pennsylvania does not use the UBE Essays or Performance test. Pennsylvania writes its own Essay Questions and its own closed-universe Performance Test. If you have to buy review materials, make certain you buy the Pennsylvania Essay materials since Pennsylvania tests on both its own subjects and the MBE subjects.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:14 am

As I stated in another post above, I hope PA sees the writing on the wall and eventually adopts the UBE.

opensource

New

Post by opensource » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 am

Any word on July 2018 results publication?? I am going crazy waiting this week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:05 pm

opensource wrote:Any word on July 2018 results publication?? I am going crazy waiting this week.
Results will be posted this Friday after 4pm.

opensource

New

Post by opensource » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:15 pm

kms181 wrote:
opensource wrote:Any word on July 2018 results publication?? I am going crazy waiting this week.
Results will be posted this Friday after 4pm.
thanks!
i did not see the email advising when he results would be released so i was concerned.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:22 pm

Got my e-mail...praying I passed this time. :D

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:07 pm

Ugh. I can't take this wait.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Acdc54

New

Post by Acdc54 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm

All I keep thinking about are my mistakes on some of the essays. Anyone else feel that way?

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:25 am

Acdc54 wrote:All I keep thinking about are my mistakes on some of the essays. Anyone else feel that way?
^^exactly this.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:05 pm

PA results are up. I didn't pass, again. Trying again in February.

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 pm

I did it...finally I did it...I’m in shock right now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”