Anyone have any tips for remembering Owner's duties to tresppassors Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tiffannybrown

New

Anyone have any tips for remembering Owner's duties to tresppassors

Post by tiffannybrown » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:03 pm

I can never remember the difference between Owners duties to anticipated trespassors/inviteess + licensees. Anything would help

emwallen

New

Re: Anyone have any tips for remembering Owner's duties to tresppassors

Post by emwallen » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 pm

not sure this is very helpful but it memorizing the title lines (invitee--inspect/protect) might be a simplistic way of keeping them straight.

duty of care to trespassers: willful/wanton
Owners owe no duty of care to undiscovered trespassers except to avoid willful/wanton conduct (and are SL for the harms of a vicious guard dog)
however a discovered trespasser is owed the same duty of care as an licensee

duty of care to licensee/discovered trespassers: duty to warn
duty to warn of concealed dangers that landowner knows about or should know (think about a pipe sticking out of the ground--its not concealed, so no duty to warn as its obvious, as compared to quicksand covered by grass or something.)

duty of care to invitee: duty to inspect/protect
landowners have to look for unreasonably dangerous conditions and protect invitees from them

so you go from no duty, to warning those you've given permission to, to protecting people you're doing business with.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:14 pm

emwallen wrote:not sure this is very helpful but it memorizing the title lines (invitee--inspect/protect) might be a simplistic way of keeping them straight.

Owners owe no duty of care to undiscovered trespassers except to avoid willful/wanton conduct (and are SL for the harms of a vicious guard dog)

duty to warn of concealed dangers that landowner knows about or should know (think about a pipe sticking out of the ground--its not concealed, so no duty to warn as its obvious, as compared to quicksand covered by grass or something.)
I'm not sure I agree that a discovered trespasser is owed the same duty of care as a licensee.

for a discovered trespasser, I think HACK. Duty to warn/make safe for highly dangerous artificial concealed and known dangers.

For a licensee, I agree, it's just the CK in hack. Duty to warn or make safe concealed and known dangers, whether they are highly dangerous and artificial or not.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Skool wrote:
emwallen wrote:not sure this is very helpful but it memorizing the title lines (invitee--inspect/protect) might be a simplistic way of keeping them straight.

I'm not sure I agree that a discovered trespasser is owed the same duty of care as a licensee.

for a discovered trespasser, I think HACK. Duty to warn/make safe for highly dangerous artificial concealed and known dangers.

For a licensee, I agree, it's just the CK in hack. Duty to warn or make safe concealed and known dangers, whether they are highly dangerous and artificial or not.
Yeah, known trespassers don't fall under licensees--only difference between UNKNOWN trespassers and KNOWN/ANTICIPATED trespassers is that UKNOWN = NO DUTY. Known/anticipated trespassers are owed a duty, but just the rock bottom one of getting warned of things that the landowner KNOWS about + is ARTIFICIAL/MANMADE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”