AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
wendykr

New

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Post by wendykr » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Failed the first time cuz I totally believed it was an easy test. I only watched the video and filled out the outline.
Passed the second time. I watched the video, made my own outlines, and practiced some questions (maybe 200Qs). I only studied at night for 5 days straight.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Failed because I didn't take it seriously. Do the practice questions, and then read the actual rules, including the comments. It's a PITA, but trust me, it's well worth your while. Getting the notice that you failed the MPRE is not a good feeling. Some people really can breeze through it for whatever reason, but don't take the risk that you're one of those people.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:14 am

I reckon you guys are absolutely right. Some people can breeze through it but it actually takes a decent amount of effort and work. I've now done a bunch of PQs (still got about 100 more to go) and am writing down all the rules I don't know (which is still plenty at this stage!!). Scored 63 on the Themis mock exam, where the average was 60, so I guess I'm looking ok. Just hoping the real deal is easier than the Themis Qs, otherwise I may be in trouble!!

Cheers

jcwest

New

Post by jcwest » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm

The Themis PQS have not utilized the Rule #s in the answers but they have utilized them in the explanation.

Do I need to memorize the Rule #s? Thanks.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 am

jcwest wrote:The Themis PQS have not utilized the Rule #s in the answers but they have utilized them in the explanation.

Do I need to memorize the Rule #s? Thanks.
Nope, no rule #s necessary. None of the answers in the PQs refer to, or presuppose knowledge of, rule #s !

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Finished the MPRE in an hour. Looked around the room walking out and most people where only half done. Either I passed or failed who knows.

I studied for a week doing the whole barbri book.

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 pm

Yeah, I finished about 50 minutes early.

I think that's pretty normal because the questions only took one one minute to answer in practice.

I like how the MPRE was a lot less time sensitive than the bar.

I wish I would have studied a little more (did an hour or two for a week) but probably passed.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:18 pm

I just toom the test this weekend also. I’m about to start an LLM so haven’t taken professional responsibility yet. I think It would definitely be easier after that class. I just Wanted to hopefully get it out of the way so I dont have to worry about it while also studying. I spent a few weeks studying. Did Barbri first, then Themis (which I preferred). What I struggled with doing Barbri is that I hadnt memorized the content from just listening to the lecture and I would do the practice questions straight after. I was as basically just guessing so it was a little disheartening. Once I got to Themis, i was Starting to remember more of the content. I also used BarMax to get a better understanding of things. That helped a lot. Fingers crossed I passed :)

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 am

yeah I finished 30mins early but then took some time to address problem questions. I studied a few hours per day for almost two weeks with Themis.

Was way harder than I expected. So many people said they only studied for like 2 days, and that it was dead easy. I think that's complete bullshit. Each question pertained to very specific rules and often they address nuances of those particular rules. Like I knew the broad rule they were getting at, but the facts made the application different to what I had learned. There were multiple questions with (in my opinion) two perfectly good answers, and in fact even a few Qs with (as far as I could tell) 3 good answers. So there was definitely some complete guesswork involved.

So anyway, not feeling terribly confident, but I didn't feel great after the bar and that was fine. So fingers crossed this will be the last exam I'll ever need to take!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am

Neilt001 wrote:yeah I finished 30mins early but then took some time to address problem questions. I studied a few hours per day for almost two weeks with Themis.

Was way harder than I expected. So many people said they only studied for like 2 days, and that it was dead easy. I think that's complete bullshit. Each question pertained to very specific rules and often they address nuances of those particular rules. Like I knew the broad rule they were getting at, but the facts made the application different to what I had learned. There were multiple questions with (in my opinion) two perfectly good answers, and in fact even a few Qs with (as far as I could tell) 3 good answers. So there was definitely some complete guesswork involved.

So anyway, not feeling terribly confident, but I didn't feel great after the bar and that was fine. So fingers crossed this will be the last exam I'll ever need to take!!
I agree With you. Just using an outline wouldn’t have really been sufficient because outlines didnt into depth about the rules. I tried doing that (with Themis) but then realized that so many of the practice questions I was doing went much deeper into the rules and I had no idea what the answers were.

I really have no idea if I think I passed or not. As you said, there were so many questions that appeared to have multiple correct answers. Some times I just literally had to take a guess.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

AussieAustin wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:yeah I finished 30mins early but then took some time to address problem questions. I studied a few hours per day for almost two weeks with Themis.

I agree With you. Just using an outline wouldn’t have really been sufficient because outlines didnt into depth about the rules. I tried doing that (with Themis) but then realized that so many of the practice questions I was doing went much deeper into the rules and I had no idea what the answers were.

I really have no idea if I think I passed or not. As you said, there were so many questions that appeared to have multiple correct answers. Some times I just literally had to take a guess.
Absolutely agree. I found the lectures/outline weren't particularly helpful. Doing practice questions was the only way to learn properly, but even then you don't learn all the rules and nuances. I just cannot for the life of me understand why so many people have told me it's easy. I would say the Qs were just as tricky as on the MBE, but of course the scope of the subject matter is much smaller.

Anyway, like you I'm just hoping it was enough! Would be such a pain in the ass to have to rewrite this thing.

Btw you from Aus? Where'd you go to uni? I was at Melbourne.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:

Absolutely agree. I found the lectures/outline weren't particularly helpful. Doing practice questions was the only way to learn properly, but even then you don't learn all the rules and nuances. I just cannot for the life of me understand why so many people have told me it's easy. I would say the Qs were just as tricky as on the MBE, but of course the scope of the subject matter is much smaller.

Anyway, like you I'm just hoping it was enough! Would be such a pain in the ass to have to rewrite this thing.

Yes, I’m from Australia too. I started my degree in Adelaide but moved to Melbourne to finish it. I was at La
Trobe. I’m very excited to be starting at UT in a couple of weeks. A MUCH better school than La Trobe.

I think another reason why I found the MPRE hard was because it was the first time in a long time I had to memorize anything. All of my exams in law school in Australia were open book so it requires a very different way of learning. I’m hoping that it’s given me a little taste of what it will be like to study for the bar when I do it next year. Also, no multiple choice tests either in Australia!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:01 pm

AussieAustin wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:

Yes, I’m from Australia too. I started my degree in Adelaide but moved to Melbourne to finish it. I was at La
Trobe. I’m very excited to be starting at UT in a couple of weeks. A MUCH better school than La Trobe.

I think another reason why I found the MPRE hard was because it was the first time in a long time I had to memorize anything. All of my exams in law school in Australia were open book so it requires a very different way of learning. I’m hoping that it’s given me a little taste of what it will be like to study for the bar when I do it next year. Also, no multiple choice tests either in Australia!
What's UT? Is that Tassie? Yeah it was all open book exams at melbourne uni too - and never any multiple choice. I did the NY bar in Feb and can confirm it's an absolutely horrendous amount of memorisation. MPRE is a good intro to the type of questions/answers and the type of memorisation you'll need to do for the MBE, although the amount of memorisation is probably 100x more for the actual bar given the amount of material.

Best of luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:

What's UT? Is that Tassie? Yeah it was all open book exams at melbourne uni too - and never any multiple choice. I did the NY bar in Feb and can confirm it's an absolutely horrendous amount of memorisation. MPRE is a good intro to the type of questions/answers and the type of memorisation you'll need to do for the MBE, although the amount of memorisation is probably 100x more for the actual bar given the amount of material.

Best of luck!
Lol, not Tassie. UT is University of Texas. I moved to Austin last year and since I never worked as a lawyer in Australia I have to do a year LLM to qualify to take the bar. Now I’m narrowing down the subjects and deciding which ones will best help me with the bar. UT is a great school so I’m looking forward to the challenge and being around other international students (I may not feel like such a foreigner for a year).

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 am

Neilt001 wrote:
AussieAustin wrote:

Grateful if you could shed some light on Themis practice questions. Taking the MPRE in November, thinking of using Themis as well as i used it for the bar exam. Were the Themis practice questions very similar to the actual MPRE questions?

And was the course content exactly like the bar review program (ie. just doing lectures and practice questions was sufficient prep)? The November course hasn’t opened yet so i can’t check.

Thanks!

Jumping in - i’m from Sydney :D

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:14 am

AussieAustin wrote: Lol, not Tassie. UT is University of Texas. I moved to Austin last year and since I never worked as a lawyer in Australia I have to do a year LLM to qualify to take the bar. Now I’m narrowing down the subjects and deciding which ones will best help me with the bar. UT is a great school so I’m looking forward to the challenge and being around other international students (I may not feel like such a foreigner for a year).
Ahhh I see. yep that makes sense. Yeah the LLM is what you gotta do to gain equivalency before taking the bar. But I guess you can do the MPRE without it!

best of luck...

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:19 am

nada123 wrote:
Grateful if you could shed some light on Themis practice questions. Taking the MPRE in November, thinking of using Themis as well as i used it for the bar exam. Were the Themis practice questions very similar to the actual MPRE questions?

And was the course content exactly like the bar review program (ie. just doing lectures and practice questions was sufficient prep)? The November course hasn’t opened yet so i can’t check.

Thanks!

Hey mate! My experience, now having done both the bar and the MPRE with Themis (although I don't yet know if I passed the MPRE!) is that the Themis PQs are very similar to the actual questions, to the point where I really couldn't tell any difference. And in fact Themis uses plenty of actual NCBE questions (I know this because I downloaded an NCBE question set during the bar and found that I had already done a bunch of those same Qs on Themis).

Anyway, if you were happy with Themis for the bar, I would stick with it for MPRE. It's the same. Also btw, the MPRE questions are exactly the same style as the bar. Hypotheticals of about the same length and difficulty level (or nearly), with two 'yes because' answers and two 'no because' answers.

And yep, the course structure was the same. There are 10 lectures (same length as bar review lectures), same sort of lecture handouts to fill in, same AQ2 questions at the end of each lecture, and same PQ tests, including a few mock exams. It's all the same.

Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

Thanks!

Hey mate! My experience, now having done both the bar and the MPRE with Themis (although I don't yet know if I passed the MPRE!) is that the Themis PQs are very similar to the actual questions, to the point where I really couldn't tell any difference. And in fact Themis uses plenty of actual NCBE questions (I know this because I downloaded an NCBE question set during the bar and found that I had already done a bunch of those same Qs on Themis).

Anyway, if you were happy with Themis for the bar, I would stick with it for MPRE. It's the same. Also btw, the MPRE questions are exactly the same style as the bar. Hypotheticals of about the same length and difficulty level (or nearly), with two 'yes because' answers and two 'no because' answers.

And yep, the course structure was the same. There are 10 lectures (same length as bar review lectures), same sort of lecture handouts to fill in, same AQ2 questions at the end of each lecture, and same PQ tests, including a few mock exams. It's all the same.

Good luck!

Actually on further reflection, the MPRE did seem a bit harder than Themis PQs, and it seemed to test a number of rules I hadn't learned. This was pretty frustrating. I'm hoping those trickier MPRE questions were part of the 10 experimental questions cause I had never seen some of those rules before, but who knows... :roll:

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:03 am

Neilt001 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

Thanks!

Good luck!

Actually on further reflection, the MPRE did seem a bit harder than Themis PQs, and it seemed to test a number of rules I hadn't learned. This was pretty frustrating. I'm hoping those trickier MPRE questions were part of the 10 experimental questions cause I had never seen some of those rules before, but who knows... :roll:

Thank you so much! Did you need to supplement Themis with any other resources (e.g. like adaptibar for the bar)?

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:41 am

nada123 wrote:

Thank you so much! Did you need to supplement Themis with any other resources (e.g. like adaptibar for the bar)?
For the MPRE? Nope. Just Themis. It's not exactly substantive enough to warrant multiple study sources (although as I said I'm not too confident re the MPRE so maybe I should have!!) I haven't heard of anyone else doing it either though so I think provider is enough.

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:39 am

Neilt001 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

For the MPRE? Nope. Just Themis. It's not exactly substantive enough to warrant multiple study sources (although as I said I'm not too confident re the MPRE so maybe I should have!!) I haven't heard of anyone else doing it either though so I think provider is enough.
I used Barmax also. Had the app on my iPad. They had flash cards which helped a bit. I hadnt Studied for a couple of years so needed all the help I could get. Lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:31 pm

AussieAustin wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

I used Barmax also. Had the app on my iPad. They had flash cards which helped a bit. I hadnt Studied for a couple of years so needed all the help I could get. Lol.
Great thinking. Let's hope it all pays off!!

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Bump for Scores Today or Tomorrow per http://www.ncbex.org/

cardiganbackyardigan

New

Post by cardiganbackyardigan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Looking through previous threads, it looks like scores are typically released a day earlier than announced. Since the NCBE promised to release scores tomorrow that would mean, assuming the pattern holds, that scores would be released today. Has anyone received notice of scores yet?

AussieAustin

New

Post by AussieAustin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:25 pm

cardiganbackyardigan wrote:Looking through previous threads, it looks like scores are typically released a day earlier than announced. Since the NCBE promised to release scores tomorrow that would mean, assuming the pattern holds, that scores would be released today. Has anyone received notice of scores yet?
Nope :cry

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”